Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why are you atheist?
Why are you atheist?
I'd be interested to know some of the reasons (other than 'there is no evidence' because I'd assume that reason anyway) people don't believe in a god- I think it's good to see things from another's perspective. I won't be trying to debate you on this thread.
be as concise or detailed as you want.
I'm kinda busy and don't have much time for these forums, so if you respond to this post, don't expect me to reply immediately- but I will try to get back to you sometime.
RE: Why are you atheist?
You want the serious or obviously mocking one:

A: I'm an atheist because I want a free pass to sin.

B: I'm an atheist because I don't believe in a god or many gods.

Wich one is it?
What other reason is there other than there is no evidence?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'm an atheist because society seems adamant in giving me a specific name because I'm not a theist. That's it.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 27, 2013 at 9:45 am)jap23 Wrote: I'd be interested to know some of the reasons (other than 'there is no evidence' because I'd assume that reason anyway) people don't believe in a god- I think it's good to see things from another's perspective. I won't be trying to debate you on this thread.
be as concise or detailed as you want.

Because there's evidence that religions are bullshit, and no evidence for god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I don't know whether or not there is a God. I don't believe people's claims that their God is the true God.
There are a few reasons, primarily that a Christian will make claims such as "He healed me after I prayed, I've seen him/talked to him/heard him, had visions" etc etc
Whilst a Muslim, Sikh, Pagan, Hindu, Buddhist (not God, but similar experiences) Baha'i, Jew, Scientoligist, etc etc will make the exact same claims about their God/religion.

Even if I were to concede that a God is real... Which one?

While this is all going on, science is there in the background gradually making progress, explaining all these phenomena through natural means - eliminating the need to say God did it.

EDIT: I was raised Christian... By the way.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Well, I've been an atheist since birth. I tried to believe in God, but it seemed really silly and improbable, like the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. Additionally, I couldn't see a way out of the problem of evil, and concluded that either God does not exist, or God is not a being worthy of worship.
My family was Catholic until my parents divorced. We promptly became Methodist. I couldn't reconcile the differences. I thought the Methodists were talking about a different god and Jesus, and totally left out the virgin Mary. I soon realized there were also Baptists in my town. Between the three faiths, they each claimed to be the singular path to salvation, but which was correct? I just gave up trying to figure it out. As I got older I saw no reason to go back, as the inconsistencies became more glaring with age. That's pretty much it, in a nutshell.
I've always been an atheist.

I've treated religions as fairy tales for as long as I can remember... and they aren't even good stories.
Cunt
Many reasons. Overall I guess its just that nobody has ever convinced me that there is a god. Everything after that has just continued to reinforce my disbelief. For a long time growing up I thought it was a lot like Santa. Everybody knows that its not true but everyone plays along to keep the kids in line.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2401 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Why are you an Atheist? maxolla 303 23629 February 15, 2020 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3333 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why are you an atheist? Tiberius 130 73757 January 9, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6957 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 27027 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why You Should Be Atheist Dunno 77 27189 October 30, 2013 at 7:56 am
Last Post: MitchBenn
  Why Are You an Atheist Max_Kolbe 15 4024 October 5, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3464 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why are YOU an Atheist? Doubting_Thomas 111 25411 January 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Nevzorov_Nikita