Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:07 pm

Poll: Regarding the character in the Bible named Jesus Christ:
This poll is closed.
Jesus Christ was real. God said it, that settles it.
17.07%
7 17.07%
Jesus Christ was likely a real person, but he was not a deity.
9.76%
4 9.76%
It is unlikely that the character of Jesus Christ ever existed at all.
17.07%
7 17.07%
One should never live by fictional stories found in a book written by primitive sheep herders.
56.10%
23 56.10%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Sacrifice ?
What Sacrifice ?
For the sake of argument, lets pretend the following:

Jesus Christ actually existed and he was indeed the only son of the god, Yahweh.
The Bible, with all of its contradictions, is somehow true and the story of the crucifixion happened just as the Bible professes.
The god Yahweh, created Jesus by miraculously inseminating a young girl named Mary somewhere around 2000 years ago (give or take), with the specific intent to see him die on a cross for the sins of the world.
The god Yahweh required himself to accept a sacrifice from himself, of himself, in order to forgive the sinful nature of man that he created himself.

So obviously I'm puzzled.

Who is the sacrifice? Where is the sacrifice? What sacrifice? Cause it's certainly not Jesus.

A man who has the ability to walk on water, turn water into wine, pull loaves of bread and fish out of thin air, heal roman-soldier's missing ears, raise the dead back to life and cure leprosy among many other acts, "sacrificed" HOW exactly??? I mean the man wasn't even in the tomb for a full 72 hours.
Not only does the death of a man who can come back to life not count as any kind of a sacrifice but even his supposed suffering can easily be disregarded. It sure stands to reason that a man with those kind of powers could easily block the pain receptors of his own body, and with no active nerves, his crucifixion would've been more like an uncomfortable afternoon rather than the purported day of excruciating pain.

I see no sacrifice whatsoever. Again, assuming only for the sake of argument that it actually happened - it seems more likely that Yahweh just needed to use the event as a cosmic shotgun to extort the hearts and minds of 100 billion people ... and counting.
[Image: Angry-God.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: What Sacrifice ?
Jesus probably existed but not Jesus Christ.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Why do you even put up such polls, you already know the outcome. Can you see into the future and know this, not really, you know by the shear percentage of nonbelievers over believers. So what have you accomplished other than a waste of time.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm)Godschild Wrote: Why do you even put up such polls, you already know the outcome. Can you see into the future and know this, not really, you know by the shear percentage of nonbelievers over believers. So what have you accomplished other than a waste of time.

Sheesh! I bet you're fun at parties!!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(April 8, 2013 at 3:07 pm)Darwinian Wrote:
(April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm)Godschild Wrote: Why do you even put up such polls, you already know the outcome. Can you see into the future and know this, not really, you know by the shear percentage of nonbelievers over believers. So what have you accomplished other than a waste of time.

Sheesh! I bet you're fun at parties!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eTq8ErUOQ

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

So your comment is limited to the poll question and you have nothing to say in defense of the actual subject matter?

I can't really blame you I suppose. It's difficult to show a sacrifice of your chosen deity where there is none. I might try to defend the lesser point as well if I was in your shoes. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

(April 8, 2013 at 2:39 pm)Cinjin Wrote: For the sake of argument, lets pretend the following:

Jesus Christ actually existed and he was indeed the only son of the god, Yahweh.

See, this is where pronunciation gets us in trouble.

The dude the books talk about was Jesus (pronounced Hey-SOOOS). His last name was Gonzales, not Christ. And he was the son of José, not Yahweh. He was a carpenter though. At least they got that right.

See, one little mispronunciation and the whole world goes in the shitter.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Precisely.

[img][Image: Thanks-Jesus_zpsa82a270d.jpeg][/img]
The sacrifice is the suffering endured. He died at the hands of the very people that he was trying to save. In this, he had to unnecessarily humble himself and live with people he calls his own while watching them cheat each other, beat each other, and promote their own superiority, and all sort of depravity. Specifically on the crucifixion, he was denied by his best friend, beaten, heckled, spit on, forced to work till he collapsed, nailed to a cross, had the wrath of the Father upon him, then died of suffocation and fatigue. Then, he stayed dead for a while. That was the sacrifice. He suffered, yet he is God. He did this without sinning while in the Mosaic Covenant.

Resurrection is the gift to us. That whole passion bit wasn't just for fun. Jesus is resurrected, and therefore gets to bring those of faith (does not mean knowledge of western metaphysical thought on an Unmoved mover) to the Father for purification and everlasting life.
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
(April 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm)Tex Wrote: The sacrifice is the suffering endured. He died at the hands of the very people that he was trying to save. In this, he had to unnecessarily humble himself and live with people he calls his own while watching them cheat each other, beat each other, and promote their own superiority, and all sort of depravity. Specifically on the crucifixion, he was denied by his best friend, beaten, heckled, spit on, forced to work till he collapsed, nailed to a cross, had the wrath of the Father upon him, then died of suffocation and fatigue. Then, he stayed dead for a while. That was the sacrifice. He suffered, yet he is God. He did this without sinning while in the Mosaic Covenant.

Resurrection is the gift to us. That whole passion bit wasn't just for fun. Jesus is resurrected, and therefore gets to bring those of faith (does not mean knowledge of western metaphysical thought on an Unmoved mover) to the Father for purification and everlasting life.

Drivel
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sacrifice Shuffle 82 12573 August 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5092 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Jesus' Sacrifice Nope 59 11432 March 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice? RobbyPants 74 15705 August 8, 2014 at 2:08 am
  Child Sacrifice in the Old Testament Mudhammam 91 26627 January 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  "WHAT" sacrifice truthBtold 12 4282 January 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  If Jesus came back to life....what was his sacrifice? Ucaslog1 101 31547 November 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Why blood sacrifice? Raven 38 14411 July 19, 2013 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Information God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story) Tea Earl Grey Hot 144 52763 October 3, 2012 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  What was the actual sacrifice that Jesus made? pgrimes15 78 38270 August 24, 2012 at 12:26 am