Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the actual sacrifice that Jesus made?
What was the actual sacrifice that Jesus made?
This is a question that I asked a few months ago at an Alpha course and got no sensible answer.

“What was the actual sacrifice that God made?. I said “ If Jesus is the Son part of the holy trinity then he is co-eternal in Christian doctrine (I've done my homework) so he has existed for all eternity. Therefore he has always known that he will come to earth and occupy a human body for 30 years and then be crucified, go to hell for 3 days (a place which he himself had made) re-animate his dead crucified body and ascend to heaven to be Lord of the universe for eternity again – where's the sacrifice?” Apart from the undeniable agony of a crucifixion death doesn't seem much else."

Perhaps the theists on this forum can answer this for me.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

RE: What was the actual sacrifice that Jesus made?
(August 14, 2012 at 6:56 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: This is a question that I asked a few months ago at an Alpha course and got no sensible answer.

You won't get one here either, trust me on this one.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(August 14, 2012 at 6:58 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(August 14, 2012 at 6:56 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: This is a question that I asked a few months ago at an Alpha course and got no sensible answer.

You won't get one here either, trust me on this one.
I am hoping for a more considered response than is possible in the Alha course environment.
If I get a convincing response then I could convert to christianity (I lost count of the number of times I said that on the Alpha course).

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

“What was the actual sacrifice that God made?. I said “ If Jesus is the Son part of the holy trinity then he is co-eternal in Christian doctrine (I've done my homework) so he has existed for all eternity. Therefore he has always known that he will come to earth and occupy a human body for 30 years and then be crucified, go to hell for 3 days (a place which he himself had made) re-animate his dead crucified body and ascend to heaven to be Lord of the universe for eternity again – where's the sacrifice?” Apart from the undeniable agony of a crucifixion death doesn't seem much else."

Perhaps the theists on this forum can answer this for me.

Regards

Grimesy

The problem with your question for me is that I don't consider "Jesus" to be God.

His name doesn't support that. His words don't support that. His actions don't support that.

I also don't believe in "hell", so to me, your question is a loaded one.
(August 14, 2012 at 7:08 am)catfish Wrote: The problem with your question for me is that I don't consider "Jesus" to be God.

His name doesn't support that. His words don't support that. His actions don't support that.

I also don't believe in "hell", so to me, your question is a loaded one.
Yes I understand that Catfish. My question was really aimed a theists who follow the mainstream Christian theology of the trinity (one indivisible God, etc.)
Perhaps I should go on a Xtian forum for these answers.
Can anyone suggest some good ones ?
Regards

Grimesy

"Many will be decieved" has quite a remarkable tone for today's day and age...
(August 14, 2012 at 7:17 am)catfish Wrote: "Many will be decieved" has quite a remarkable tone for today's day and age...

Sorry. Don't understand that.

Regards

Grimesy

It means...

You are looking for answers from a huge number of "mainstream followers" when the Bible itself says that few will make it.

2 Corinthians 11:3-4
King James Version (KJV)

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Man has made Christianity complicated. Worrying about what people believe and condemning others who don't believe as they do.

Yeshua's message was clear, be good, repent, and accept forgiveness from God... (repent is a change of heart, not simply saying "I'm sorry")
(August 14, 2012 at 7:26 am)catfish Wrote: It means...

You are looking for answers from a huge number of "mainstream followers" when the Bible itself says that few will make it.

Nevertheless it is to them that I address my question.

Regards

Grimesy

(August 14, 2012 at 7:37 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: Nevertheless it is to them that I address my question.

Regards

Grimesy

All that shows is that you have preconceived notions of what is supposed to be true.

Good luck with that...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9113 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2580 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1511 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14608 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Way to go USA. We made the ICC hall of shame list brewer 12 3014 February 8, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Actual Infinities Mudhammam 154 14609 November 6, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The pope made of condoms: Spooky 8 2712 September 28, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  This made my day - check it out. ignoramus 10 2247 September 18, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Losty
  Sacrifice Shuffle 82 12634 August 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5142 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd