Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
Hi everyone I am doing research as to whether religious beliefs actually do affect the amount of pro-social behaviours engaged in and moral decision making. I would really appreciate it if you take the time to fill out this survey, I need a lot of participants.
Comments are also welcome on whether you would expect moral decision making to actually be more affected by the society in which the individual operates and thus little correlation or whether religious individuals will act in more "irrational" ways in order to adhere to scripture as Richard Dawkins has suggested.

Please - State your Gender
The current educational level you are studying for or highest attained.
Your religious beliefs(denomination of Christianity if applicable) / If not religious then whether atheist or agnostic
How strong you consider these beliefs from 1-9 (9 highest)
Do your parents have any religious beliefs?
To what extent do you think they influenced you morally? (1-9)

To what extent do you agree with the following statements from 1-9 (9 completely agree)
"Different types of morality cannot be compared as to 'rightness.'
Rigidly codifying an ethical position that prevents certain types of actions could stand in the way of better human relations and adjustment.
Whether a lie is judged to be moral or immoral depends upon the circumstances surrounding the action.
No rule concerning lying can be formulated; whether a lie is permissible or not permissible totally depends upon the situation.
What is ethical varies from one situation and society to
another.
If an action could harm an innocent other, then it should not be done.
Deciding whether or not to perform an act by balancing the positive consequences of the act against the negative consequences of the act is immoral.

Please answer yes or no to these situations.

1.You are standing on a bridge when an out-of-control mining cart comes into view. You can see 5 workers on the track who you suppose will be instantly killed unless you push a large rock off the bridge to stop the cart. However if you do this the cart driver will be killed. Do you push the rock?
2.This time instead of a rock there is a large man you could push. He and the cart driver will die but 5 workers will survive. Do you push the man?
3. In a separate instance you can throw yourself in front of the cart, killing you and the cart driver but 5 workers will survive. Do you jump?

Please answer every question as it is part of my dissertation/thesis research. I will post the full data results afterwards. Please feel free to comment on any similar topics.
RE: Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
Its simple. Yes.

Just like the treat of a ticket keeps me from driving too fast. Well, most of the time anyway.
RE: Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
It's Simple.... The real answer is ..... No

The religious are the most immoral people on the planet thanks to their religious ideals. Big Grin

Have a Happy day Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
So sorry. I do not have time to support your research project. AF is not your private Perti dish.
(April 15, 2013 at 9:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: It's Simple.... The real answer is ..... No

The religious are the most immoral people on the planet thanks to their religious ideals. Big Grin

Unfortunately whilst I might be inclined to agree there is little statistical proof of this fact and I need more responses to my survey in order to attain that!
I'm personally agnostic, but you would be surprised how weak the correlations are in other research that has been carried out in observing differences in decision making between religious and non-religious people.
OP, maybe you should make an intro thread and establish yourself before asking us to do work for you? I mean, kind of what Chad said, only nicer.
(April 15, 2013 at 9:24 am)ChadWooters Wrote: So sorry. I do not have time to support your research project. AF is not your private Perti dish.

What a shame you feel that way.
I am trying to investigate a point of interest to both Atheist and religious individuals. There has been little successful statistical research on the topic and I thought it would be nice to re-post my results when they are successfully collected.
(April 15, 2013 at 9:36 am)student1992 Wrote:
(April 15, 2013 at 9:24 am)ChadWooters Wrote: So sorry. I do not have time to support your research project. AF is not your private Perti dish.

What a shame you feel that way.
I am trying to investigate a point of interest to both Atheist and religious individuals. There has been little successful statistical research on the topic and I thought it would be nice to re-post my results when they are successfully collected.

Again I will re-iterate what Chad has said. The shame is on you student. I would suggest you have a look around the board and engage the forum members to get a better picture of what you are dealing with. Otherwise your research is flawed and incomplete and you will fail your assignment (well you would IF you were studying in Oz) Tongue

Thankyou for your interest BUT.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 15, 2013 at 9:33 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: OP, maybe you should make an intro thread and establish yourself before asking us to do work for you? I mean, kind of what Chad said, only nicer.

So far the only conclusion I can come from having posted this topic onto religious forums as well is that non-religious people need a personal connection and/or a reason to carry out a "favour" for another individual.
Unprompted pro-sociality and a welcoming atmosphere certainly seems to be favouring religious persons today.
The survey only takes about 5 minutes and is a point of relevant interest to the forum as far as I can tell. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.
(April 15, 2013 at 9:26 am)student1992 Wrote:
(April 15, 2013 at 9:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: It's Simple.... The real answer is ..... No

Unfortunately whilst I might be inclined to agree there is little statistical proof of this fact and I need more responses to my survey in order to attain that!
I'm personally agnostic, but you would be surprised how weak the correlations are in other research that has been carried out in observing differences in decision making between religious and non-religious people.

Are you lazy? Where are you studying from? What research have you uncovered or did you think that you could come here an we would do you thesis for you??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2918 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7717 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Satan and Making Mock zwanzig 24 2248 May 21, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 993 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3223 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3729 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why is religion in the business of moral policing? NuclearEnergy 85 16636 August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 52463 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3619 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 12071 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil