Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Catholic abuse scandal...
Yet another Catholic abuse scandal...
This one in my own backyard.

I watched this play out the other day, and the level of shitty double speak and all round hypocrisy made me want to punch something. Gotta love that it takes a parliamentary inquiry to force the church to come forward with information about criminal activity; how can anyone claim these guys are a force for good after all this?

... And cue apologist nonsense in 3... 2...
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Yet another Catholic abuse scandal...
(May 29, 2013 at 3:24 am)Esquilax Wrote: This one in my own backyard.

I watched this play out the other day, and the level of shitty double speak and all round hypocrisy made me want to punch something. Gotta love that it takes a parliamentary inquiry to force the church to come forward with information about criminal activity; how can anyone claim these guys are a force for good after all this?

... And cue apologist nonsense in 3... 2...
There not.

They are men in the end. Men do good things and men do bad things in the sight of God and other men. Being Christian does not mean we are free from sin. Paul talks about this in Romans, that we are not free from sin, that He himself was still a slave to sin even though He knows what he should do, he does not do it. It is the things he does not want to do (sin) those are the things he does repeatly. He goes on to say so long as we are bound to these bodies we are bound to sin. Christian Men are like any other in that we will be judged by the same God all must give an account to. Our self appointed titles Christian, pastor, priest, bishop, pope mean nothing before God, and do not save us because this is what we call ourselves. Christ will judge us based on what we have or do not have in our hearts.
(May 29, 2013 at 11:09 am)Drich Wrote: There not.

They are men in the end. Men do good things and men do bad things in the sight of God and other men. Being Christian does not mean we are free from sin. Paul talks about this in Romans, that we are not free from sin, that He himself was still a slave to sin even though He knows what he should do, he does not do it. It is the things he does not want to do (sin) those are the things he does repeatly. He goes on to say so long as we are bound to these bodies we are bound to sin. Christian Men are like any other in that we will be judged by the same God all must give an account to. Our self appointed titles Christian, pastor, priest, bishop, pope mean nothing before God, and do not save us because this is what we call ourselves. Christ will judge us based on what we have or do not have in our hearts.
But don't you think that priests should be able to marry? It is very clear to see that this is a major part of the problem, and plus, God didn't even tell anyone to live a celibate life. God didn't tell them to do this.
(May 29, 2013 at 11:22 am)ideologue08 Wrote: But don't you think that priests should be able to marry? It is very clear to see that this is a major part of the problem, and plus, God didn't even tell anyone to live a celibate life. God didn't tell them to do this.

For once, I have to agree with you with the caveat that god didn't exist to tell them in the first place.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(May 29, 2013 at 11:22 am)ideologue08 Wrote: But don't you think that priests should be able to marry?
The bible says beware of those who forbid you to marry. If they study the bible then they have seen this passage in 1 tim 4 The Spirit clearly says that in the last times some will turn away from what we believe. They will obey spirits that tell lies. And they will follow the teachings of demons. 2 Those teachings come through people who tell lies and trick others. These evil people cannot see what is right and what is wrong. It is like their conscience has been destroyed with a hot iron. 3 They say that it is wrong to marry. And they say that there are some foods that people must not eat. But God made these foods, and those who believe and who understand the truth can eat them with thanks. 4 Everything that God made is good. Nothing he made should be refused if it is accepted with thanks to him. 5 Everything he created is made holy by what he has said and by prayer.

Quote:It is very clear to see that this is a major part of the problem, and plus, God didn't even tell anyone to live a celibate life. God didn't tell them to do this.
However in that same passage Tim also says that: "But God made these foods, and those who believe and who understand the truth can eat them with thanks. " This partaking in thinks like certain food and in marriage is based on one's understanding and ablity to see these things as gifts from God. If a 'preist' believes it is a sin, then for him it is a sin to marry. So he will be bound by his own ablity to comperhend scripture.

Christ tell us what we bind here on earth will also be bound in Heaven, and what we loose here on earth will be loosed in Heaven. Meaning if we bind something/think it is a sin, then for us in our final judgement (ablity to enter heaven) we will be judged on not only what God has identified as sin but what we believe to be sin.

Paul speaks of this in Romans 14 the whole chapter
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=ERV

So do I think it is a sin for the priest to marry? No Absolutly not. Does the bible say it is a sin for them to marry? Absolutly Not! Should they get married Absolutly not!!! Why? Because for them it is a sin to be a preist and to be married.
What they have bound themselves to here on earth is awaiting to bind them in Heaven.
(May 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm)Drich Wrote: So do I think it is a sin for the priest to marry? No Absolutly not. Does the bible say it is a sin for them to marry? Absolutly Not! Should they get married Absolutly not!!! Why? Because for them it is a sin to be a preist and to be married.
What they have bound themselves to here on earth is awaiting to bind them in Heaven.
But how do you know that? Are you really taking Paul's word for it that it is a sin for priests to marry? Don't you believe in any of the Prophets like Solomon, David, Joseph, Moses, Noah etc. all of whom married and who were more pious and righteous than any of the priests alive today, there is no reason why they should prevent themselves from marriage when God didn't say this. The Qur'an is very clear about this: (57:27) But the Monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe it for them....
Quote:The bible says beware of those who forbid you to marry.

Quote:8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. .

1 Cor

Quote:Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
1 Timothy 3

"Paul" should make up his fucking mind, eh?
(May 29, 2013 at 11:09 am)Drich Wrote: There not.

Let's say that they'll pray to God and ask him for forgiveness. Since I'm an atheist I couldn't have been a true Christian so I ask you for answer. Will they go
A To hell
B To heaven
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(May 29, 2013 at 11:22 am)ideologue08 Wrote:
(May 29, 2013 at 11:09 am)Drich Wrote:

But don't you think that priests should be able to marry? It is very clear to see that this is a major part of the problem, and plus, God didn't even tell anyone to live a celibate life. God didn't tell them to do this.

This is a very difficult situation, like Drich said they believe it's sinful. Would it solve the problem, for some yes, for most IMO no, pedophiles are mentally devoid of right and wrong. Yes I believe they are pedophiles and should be punished as such, and it has happened so much that I believe some of these men may have had abusing boys on their minds when they became priest. The Catholic Church brought this on itself by telling the priest they could not be married, when scriptures do not teach this. hopefully the Catholic Church well allow married men to be priest so this awful evil will be limited, they should do it for the children's sake.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 29, 2013 at 4:51 pm)Godschild Wrote: This is a very difficult situation, like Drich said they believe it's sinful. Would it solve the problem, for some yes, for most IMO no, pedophiles are mentally devoid of right and wrong. Yes I believe they are pedophiles and should be punished as such, and it has happened so much that I believe some of these men may have had abusing boys on their minds when they became priest. The Catholic Church brought this on itself by telling the priest they could not be married, when scriptures do not teach this. hopefully the Catholic Church well allow married men to be priest so this awful evil will be limited, they should do it for the children's sake.

You are a true pro at self-contradiction.

Allowing priests to be married won't solve the problem but you hope the church will allow priests to marry to solve the problem.

Good thinking, GC. You tool.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 167 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 34439 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 357 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1209 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1123 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 3946 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1405 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1348 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 778 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2542 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama