Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is a big difference between...
There is a big difference between...
debating on a forum and face-to-face.

I have this friend who converted to christianity just last year and he is quite extreme about his faith. Last night we were hanging out and he started to get all philisophical on me.

I was SO tempted to challenge his faith there and then...but the thing is, I am terrible at verbal debates.

Care to share tips on verbal debating? How should one start and respond..etc..
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
RE: There is a big difference between...
TWO WORDS: CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS!

If you spend a few hours watching his debates you should get a fair idea how to make a very clear and concise point when arguing religion. The best thing to do is listen to debates, find out what the points are and pay attention to both sides. I like Hitchens over any debater because he cuts out the bullshit formality and just makes the reality of the argument clear. Also look at other debates, professional and amateur.

[youtube]PY8fjFKAC5k[/youtube]
[youtube]vnMYL8sF7bQ[/youtube]
[youtube]bWt8a1aMkZ4[/youtube]
Excellent! Watching them now, thanks so much! Big Grin
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
If you go to http://video.google.com you can search the entire internet for video, absolutely owns the fuck out of noobtube.
This is an especially good one:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ch...0&start=10

And another

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=ZnZj...-god-exist=

[youtube]_tfogZpxnFg[/youtube]
That Boteach guy is really annoying. And not as amusing as for instance...McGrath.

EvF
I love how Hitchens doesn't give any eye-contact when his opponents are ranting at him. Very psychological move; must make them feel a bit uncomfortable (like he isn't paying attention).
(September 13, 2009 at 8:10 am)Tiberius Wrote: I love how Hitchens doesn't give any eye-contact when his opponents are ranting at him. Very psychological move; must make them feel a bit uncomfortable (like he isn't paying attention).

It's even better when he has a smoke and a glass of scotch Smile
Hitchens is very smooth...Thanks again for the video posts...great reference! Smile
I think Hitchens is a joy to watch when he debates, he's very entertaining. And good at what he does.

I only stopped watching him (untill recently) after I discovered he was 'pro-life'. That seemed really suprising.

EvF
another one to look up for neurological and philosophical debates is Daniel Dennet.

You could look up Dawkins though i find him to be rather boring some times.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome too, though i don't know if he debates.

PZ myers runs an atheist blog which imo is the best blog in the world
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

And Phil Plait who runs bad astronomy(not as much atheism but also very good):
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/

Great series on evolution:
[youtube]i1fGkFuHIu0[/youtube]
(September 13, 2009 at 8:32 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I think Hitchens is a joy to watch when he debates, he's very entertaining. And good at what he does.

I only stopped watching him (untill recently) after I discovered he was 'pro-life'. That seemed really suprising.

EvF

He's hardly pro-life in the theistic sense, he is against late term abortions and abortions of convenience - he has a different view to some as when Human life starts, he puts it at the heart beat. He is not against abortion in the case of fetus death or rape or women who are too young or against early abortions. He rather rationally states that it should stop when it is deemed the fetus has a mind of it's own, which happens.

Also, why does a disagreement over an issue he hardly ever talks about and does not take a hardline stance on make him unwatchable? I don't entirely agree with him on the Iraq war so i don't watch those topics, but everything else he talks about i am in agreement with so i watch it.

Quote:Hitchens: Two points I wanted to make. One, that the term "unborn child" has been made a propaganda phrase by the people who called themselves "pro-life." But it's something that has moral and scientific realities. It's become very evident indeed that this is not just a growth upon the mother.

If that's true, what are the problems? It need not qualify the woman's right to choose. It need not. But it would be a very bold person to say that what was being chosen didn't come up. What I argued in my column was this was a social phenomenon. This is the next generation we're talking about. Considering the unborn as candidate members-- potential members--of the next generation; wouldn't that strengthen the argument for socialized medicine, child care, prenatal care?

There's a reason why this is the only country where it's a mania. Because it's between the fundamentalists and the possessive individualists. It's ruined politics, absorbed a huge amount of energy that should have been spent elsewhere.

Q: But you're not agreeing with the religious right on this?

Hitchens: No one who is not for the provision of sex education, contraception, and child care should be allowed to have any position on abortion at all--and those who do should be met with fusillades. Women will decide it, that's a matter of fact, as much as a principle.

Q: So, what is your position regarding the continued legal status of abortion?

Hitchens: There's no choice but choice. I mean that to sound the way it does sound. But there are choices about the conditions in which that choice is made.

I'm very much opposed to euthanasia. I've never understood why more of these people can't commit suicide. Why do they need a Doctor Kevorkian? It's very theatrical. I believe in a right to decide.

But I'm against all blurrings. There's a very sharp dividing line in the case of an infant. I'm against fooling with that. Everything in me rebels against that. The conclusion I've come to as to why it' s such a toxic question in America is it isn't about the rights of the unborn child. I think it's an argument about patriarchy. It is a metaphor for the status of women in what is still in some ways a frontier society.

http://users.rcn.com/peterk.enteract/Progint.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3400 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2434 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1846 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7883 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1148 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go Rhondazvous 12 3689 July 18, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Why is Religion such a big deal? ScienceAf 14 3429 August 21, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5307 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3836 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman