Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain to me the math behind redemption
Explain to me the math behind redemption
If any 1 person's sins are grievous enough to warrant an eternity in hell, how does someone else 'pay for' the sins of everybody without themselves spending an eternity in hell?
RE: Explain to me the math behind redemption
(June 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm)Zarith Wrote: If any 1 person's sins are grievous enough to warrant an eternity in hell, how does someone else 'pay for' the sins of everybody without themselves spending an eternity in hell?

I need you to be more specific.
(June 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm)Zarith Wrote: If any 1 person's sins are grievous enough to warrant an eternity in hell, how does someone else 'pay for' the sins of everybody without themselves spending an eternity in hell?

Via hocus pocus.
Check the ledger of the church offering said service if you want to see the math involved in vicarious redemption.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think the semantics of "He took the punishment I was going to receive" to be misleading, because that is obviously not how it worked. You are right to point out that, on this definition of atonement, the sacrifice seems to be insufficient.

Now I'm no theologian, but an argument could be made for the fact that redemption isn't worked out "quantitatively," as it were, but rather "qualitatively,"(for lack of better terms) in that it was the quality of the Jesus Christ, namely His moral perfection, that rendered His substitutionary punishment in any way sufficient for the redemption of the world. Now, one could make an argument that, on this definition, how [or perhaps the quantitative means by which] Jesus was punished seems arbitrary, but that seems as though it would probably be an in-house theological debate rather than any reason to disbelieve the concept of Christalogical redemption.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic
One can make a better argument that it never happened at all.
(June 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm)ReasonableRuben Wrote: I think the semantics of "He took the punishment I was going to receive" to be misleading, because that is obviously not how it worked. You are right to point out that, on this definition of atonement, the sacrifice seems to be insufficient.

Now I'm no theologian, but an argument could be made for the fact that redemption isn't worked out "quantitatively," as it were, but rather "qualitatively,"(for lack of better terms) in that it was the quality of the Jesus Christ, namely His moral perfection, that rendered His substitutionary punishment in any way sufficient for the redemption of the world. Now, one could make an argument that, on this definition, how [or perhaps the quantitative means by which] Jesus was punished seems arbitrary, but that seems as though it would probably be an in-house theological debate rather than any reason to disbelieve the concept of Christalogical redemption.
I see. Can I at least get my sentence reduced by some small epsilon value if I sacrifice someone else? They may not be perfect, but surely it's worth something?
(June 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm)ReasonableRuben Wrote: I think the semantics of "He took the punishment I was going to receive" to be misleading, because that is obviously not how it worked.
It worked -some- way....and obviously - no less? I was unaware.

Quote:You are right to point out that, on this definition of atonement, the sacrifice seems to be insufficient. Now I'm no theologian, but an argument could be made for the fact that redemption isn't worked out "quantitatively," as it were, but rather "qualitatively,"(for lack of better terms) in that it was the quality of the Jesus Christ, namely His moral perfection, that rendered His substitutionary punishment in any way sufficient for the redemption of the world.
I'm still not seeing it, how does substitution work in the first place, regardless of the quality of the substitute- or the state of the substituted? After that's handled, why would the quality have some effect that quantity couldn't achieve? If we're after some sort of "sufficient parity" than an indeterminate number of decent people would seem to work just as well as one "perfect" person. Or is this magic math time?

Quote: Now, one could make an argument that, on this definition, how [or perhaps the quantitative means by which] Jesus was punished seems arbitrary, but that seems as though it would probably be an in-house theological debate rather than any reason to disbelieve the concept of Christalogical redemption.
It's not just that I'm calling horseshit on the whole story- personally - I would refuse such redemption if it were on offer. I think it's disgusting. Human beings refuse this sort of thing all the time, I'm kind of proud of that.

"Just give up your buddies, and we'll let you walk".
-"go fuck yourself"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:If we're after some sort of "sufficient parity" than an indeterminate number of decent people would seem to work just as well as one "perfect" person. Or is this magic math time?
Well, if the value of a sacrifice is 1 / [quantity of sin], then ...

OK, I'll stop, some of our other posters might get ideas
(June 3, 2013 at 10:50 pm)Zarith Wrote: I see. Can I at least get my sentence reduced by some small epsilon value if I sacrifice someone else? They may not be perfect, but surely it's worth something?

I think you mean "if they sacrificed themselves for me," and no, according to the doctrine of sin, you couldn't.

This is basic Christian doctrine. By that I do not mean to commend it to you as true. I mean rather to say that some simple research into Christian doctrine would probably answer your question better than what I have to offer. Smile

(June 3, 2013 at 10:51 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It worked -some- way....and obviously - no less? I was unaware.

Like I said, the semantics of "He took the punishment I was going to receive" seem to me to be misleading. Perhaps you have been mislead by them. It's pretty obvious that "the plan" was not for Jesus to suffer eternally, and yet, it seems to me that Christians speak as though it was when they proffer such explanations of the redemption.

I did not commend a specific theory of the redemption and claim that it obviously "worked this way." I criticized a specific theory of the redemption and claimed that it obviously "did not work this way."

I tentatively put forward an alternative way of thinking about the redemption, but I certainly didn't claim that it was obviously correct.

Like I said, I'm no theologian. I haven't thought about the redemption much.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2933 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9453 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  William Lane Craig's last math class was in high school?! Jehanne 24 4429 February 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians: Please Explain Aractus 43 9814 December 10, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Please Explain Shuffle 26 5864 August 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2220 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can someone explain this to me ? Genesis 1. Science 110 20493 November 23, 2014 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Nope
  To explain knowledge of God Godscreated 290 35839 October 25, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  If you are religious explain Neanderthals freedeepthink 28 5566 October 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: freedeepthink
  Christians: Please explain the Exodus Aractus 274 21219 October 3, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist