Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I sometimes doubt my countries sanity.
I sometimes doubt my countries sanity.
http://sheikyermami.com/2009/09/16/wilde...d-rag-tax/

I know its a dubious site, but the article is correct (and in English so you can read it too). Geert Wilders was arguing in favour of a "kopvoddentax" or head-rag-tax of 1000 euros (890 British pounds/1470 us dollar) for any muslima that wants to wear a hijab in public.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: I sometimes doubt my countries sanaty.
I love your country Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: I sometimes doubt my countries sanity.
In an ideal world, we wouldn't get religions that are so intolerant to women...in an ideal world we wouldn't have religion!!

EvF
Sure, but besides the issue. How would you feel if the forums t-shirts would be taxed 890 pounds a year because of the way others look at them?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
No matter what, I think tax (let alone an insanely high tax) for wearing a head scarf is insane to say the least.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Besides the issue? Well if it's besides the issue then we're living in a completely different world!

If what women wear in Islam wasn't a symbol of how they're treated so unjustly, we'd be living in a different world. It wouldn't be Islam.

How would I feel if the same for the forum T-shirts? Bad. They're not a symbol of oppression! Nor do they advertise delusional unsupported potentially harmful beliefs that commonly lead to such oppression! They're secular.

EvF
So what if they are secular? They are the exact same thing. They propagate your stance on religion.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
Yeah, and the difference is the issue of false-advertising and the potential harm that can come from it.

E.G: "God exists" needs support.

"I don't believe in God"/"Atheism rules"/the 'scarlet A' symbol - doesn't.

Threats about going to hell can do harm. Religious symbols are not only delusional but can cause harm if they are believed, as you know (the Steven Weinberg quote for starters).

So it's not exactly the same. It's about what's best for people overall that matters, and religion does a lot of harm, is delusional, and the delusional aspect of it is part of ( a big part of) what does the harm.

EvF
"not exactly the same"

So how is an atheist shirt, a cross around your neck, or a turban on your head any different? And dont give me that no delusion BS, only atheists see it that way so that makes no sense as a defense against any taxation.

Any religious or non religious garment says nothing on whether the belief is justified or not. There is no "false advertisement", only the statement what a person believes or doesn't believe. That does not warrant any taxation, its ridiculous.

edited for clarification.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
leo-rcc Wrote:only atheists see it that way
??

So the matter is only one of opinion and there could just as easily be evidence for God, but we just 'don't see it that way' since we atheists personally just see no evidence? I don't think so! That matter is not one of opinion.

I'm talking of ideals here, it may not make sense as a defence because the religious won't say it that way, it won't work, etc, But it is not merely my opinion that there's no evidence for God, and it's indeed no delusion unlike with religious promotion. I stand by that.

It may not make sense to the religious. But atheism is indeed very different, it's not a belief system or a religion and it can't be false advertising unless it's Gnostic atheism, nor is promoting any ideology in any way. It supports no potentially harmful delusional beliefs without evidence, it supports no beliefs at all. It is not spouting delusional promotions everywhere, unlike religion. Religion is basically promoting delusion, and it's also very often, (at least potentially) harmful delusion at that. It's far worse than astrology and even that does harm from being delusional anti-science.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5961 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5287 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Poor countries. purplepurpose 9 2497 May 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Doubt in disbelief snerie 63 8398 January 27, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Evidence and causes for doubt LadyForCamus 43 7743 March 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  It's illegal to be atheist in these 13 countries dyresand 24 10146 April 20, 2015 at 5:10 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Atheism in developing countries watchamadoodle 6 2276 February 16, 2015 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Atheists living in very religious places, do you have moments of doubt? Alex K 16 3700 October 31, 2014 at 10:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lets question the sanity of theist.. dyresand 2 2040 October 23, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  13 Countries Where Atheism Is Punishable by Death Zidneya 63 14199 September 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris