Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who witnessed the crucifixion/resurection?
Who witnessed the crucifixion/resurection?
I was watching a hitchens debate and he said that jews witnessed the crucifixion and resurection, and still thought he was a fraud. So who were the witnesses?
RE: Who witnessed the crucifixion/resurection?
Have you tried google?
Quote:Note: If we try to list all the specific individuals mentioned in the various accounts, we get the following result:

1. Mary Magdalene (mentioned by Matthew, Mark, and John)

2. Mary the mother of James and Joses (mentioned by Matthew and Mark)

3. The mother of Zebedee's sons (mentioned by Matthew)

4. Salome (mentioned by Mark) -- Many scholars think that this is the same person as (3), the mother of Zebedee's sons

5. Mary the mother of Jesus (mentioned by John)

6. Mary the wife of Clophas (who was probably Joseph's brother) (mentioned by John)

7. An un-named sister of Jesus' mother (mentioned by John) -- Many scholars think that this is the same person as (6), i.e., the wife of Clophas

8. The un-named Beloved Disciple (mentioned by John)

Taken from: http://www.gospel-mysteries.net/witnesse...ixion.html
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Very likely there were scores to hundreds of witnesses.

If it did happen, and there is no compelling reason to suspect that no actual crucifixion of a specific flesh and blood man lies at the origin of the christ myth, then it must have been witnessed by scores of people because Romans believe in both the deterrence and entertainment value of making the condamned suffer long in public while dying.

Yet remarkably the cultists of christ has never managed to record a single confirmation by one who is not connected to the guru and his groupies to validate their shabby tale.
I only look old. Anyway I've never been to that part of the world. I didn't never see nothin', no way.

I have found Jesus however. He worked for me in the garden about a month ago. I intend to reap precisely what he sowed.
Can you imagine cross-examining that "witness?"

"Where were you on Passover in 36 AD? Uh, no. Make it 35. Or 34. Or 33...let's go with 33 AD. Wait, how about 30, 31, or 32, AD?"

OBJECTION!!!!
Several people appear to have witness the crucifixion but I don't think anyone witnessed the resurrection. The women found the tomb empty.

Mark mentions that Jesus met 2 of the disciples on the road but they didn't recognise him as he was "in a different form."

This is proof positive of the existence of Star Trek. It wasn't Jesus they met at all - it was Odo the shape shifting security officer from Deep Space Nine.

Can't tell you how much of a shock it was to get that from Mark's Gospel!
Is there no proper consideration?

The jews aren't to blame! They simply missed the important parts because they went back to the lobby to get free refills of popcorn and soda.
Isn`t there a bad distopian novel about time travel in which all the spectators at the crucifiction are time travel tourists?
Seems like I've heard something about that. The trouble is that which exact year would it be? From what I understand that Jesus would have been born several years BCE because King Herod died several years BCE, and King Herod is an important figure in the nativity narrative. So if you set your time machine for 33 CE you'll have missed the crucifixion.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crucifixion question zebo-the-fat 60 4297 April 16, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Jesus' Crucifixion a parable Foxaèr 56 5886 October 3, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: tahaadi
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 6820 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter dyresand 54 9833 February 11, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why did jesus have scars from the crucifixion? Brakeman 17 4171 January 21, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why was the crucifixion necessary ? pgrimes15 99 34838 August 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Celebrate the horrors of the crucifixion with the children, buy resurrection eggs! Ziploc Surprise 12 6579 March 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise