Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crucifixion question
Crucifixion question
I am the first to admit that I am no expert on this subject, but I have always wondered about one aspect of Crucifixion.

As I understand it, the criminal was made to carry his own cross up the hill before being crucified. When the Roman soldier said to the victim "I want you to carry this heavy cross up the hill so we can nail you onto it and leave you hanging until you die" What would stop him saying the Aramaic equivalent of "Piss off, carry it yourself!"
What could they do that was worse than Crucifixion?

(This is nothing to do with the religious aspects of the story, just a practical question)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Crucifixion question
Sounds like it comes down to how much torture do you want before the real torture begins.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Crucifixion is a dawdle....
It's the equivalence of us obeying cops when they tell us to do someone.
Knowing what was about to happen to you, you might as well tell them to piss off, on top of that I reckon if you gave them a quick knee to the balls your death would be a lot quicker.
(April 14, 2019 at 10:08 am)IWNKYAAIMI Wrote: Knowing what was about to happen to you, you might as well tell them to piss off, on top of that I reckon if you gave them a quick knee to the balls your death would be a lot quicker.

Just what I was thinking, at that point you have nothing to lose
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

People were made to carry the crossbars as a sort of mobile stock - and ever the efficient pragmatists, the romans would have used that stock as the upper span of the t.  

Lay aside the pomp and pageantry of the fictional passion narrative, and it's easy to understand why people would do this.  Imagine yourself in a long line of people who are all restrained by bar.  You get lead here and there in this way.  People who object are killed, or worse.   The presence of crucified dissenters on the roadside reminds you of how simply you could be strung up, but, for the most part, that's not the fate of the group or the purpose of the restraint.  

Crucifixion is as easy as pulling someone out of line and putting them on an empty stick, leading to endlessly creative variations on the theme.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:What could they do that was worse than Crucifixion?

I can think of several things.

-Slowly roasted over hot coals, rotisserie-style.

-Having a metal bowl filled with hungry rats strapped to your belly.

-Recreational flaying, a little at a time.

-Being slowly dissolved in a caustic substance, such as lye.

-Applicating of stinging insects to particular tender areas (eyes, mouth, genitals).

-Being buried alive.

-Watching any of the above inflicted on your nearest and dearest until you agree to carry the crossbar.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 14, 2019 at 9:50 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Crucifixion is a dawdle....

You could get stabbed.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
[Image: sandalsNail.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus' Crucifixion a parable Foxaèr 56 5708 October 3, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: tahaadi
  The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter dyresand 54 9712 February 11, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why did jesus have scars from the crucifixion? Brakeman 17 4144 January 21, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who witnessed the crucifixion/resurection? taylor93112 30 7576 June 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why was the crucifixion necessary ? pgrimes15 99 34697 August 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Celebrate the horrors of the crucifixion with the children, buy resurrection eggs! Ziploc Surprise 12 6562 March 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise