Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The idea of Fate/predetermination
The idea of Fate/predetermination
All:

I would like some input on the general idea of fate/predetermination. My definition of fate is that all things are destined to happen. Recently, I had a lesion above one of my kidneys, which luckily turned out to be a cyst. I was concerned about the lesion, but a friend of mine told me, "What will happen, will happen." In essence, negating my anxiety with fate. I HATE these kind of statements, since they are vague and vacuous. Is there really a place where everything is written down that is going to happen? What are these statements supposed to do? If the intent is to make me feel better, it does not provide that comfort.

So tell me folks, what are your thoughts on fate/predetermination?
RE: The idea of Fate/predetermination
(June 27, 2013 at 5:42 pm)sarcasticgeographer Wrote: I was concerned about the lesion, but a friend of mine told me, "What will happen, will happen." In essence, negating my anxiety with fate. I HATE these kind of statements, since they are vague and vacuous.

It's entirely possible that what your friend was trying to say something more along the lines of "don't needlessly worry about something you have no control over", which seems like good advice to me, regardless of your feelings regarding predetermination.
(June 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 27, 2013 at 5:42 pm)sarcasticgeographer Wrote: I was concerned about the lesion, but a friend of mine told me, "What will happen, will happen." In essence, negating my anxiety with fate. I HATE these kind of statements, since they are vague and vacuous.

It's entirely possible that what your friend was trying to say something more along the lines of "don't needlessly worry about something you have no control over", which seems like good advice to me, regardless of your feelings regarding predetermination.

Interesting point. I did not consider that and thank you for the objective view point.
This seems more like a philosophical topic but...

Everything does happen for a reason. An unobjectionable reason at that. Because every act is a fact and there is evidence to prove what happens/happened.

In string theory, while contemplating 10 dimensions, there are infinite paths that could be taken, not just 1 linear timeline.

I also do not agree with these kinds of theories however, because We live in 1 timeline. Our choices are finite and while You might say that We are capable of endless possibilities, only 1 of those possibilities executes. We cannot go backwards in our timeline, only forwards.

Science tested this in Entropy. Absolute zero can be approached but never reached. If absolute zero were to be reached, theoretically, matter would be stationary.

If We cannot stop motion, what makes us think We can go into the past?

And if We can go into the past... would the effects of such time travel not have initiated by now?

I do not believe in fate, but I do live it. Destiny on the other hand is about predicting a precise yet complex future... correctly. That, even with today's technology would appear improbable.
(June 27, 2013 at 5:42 pm)sarcasticgeographer Wrote: "What will happen, will happen." In essence, negating my anxiety with fate. I HATE these kind of statements, since they are vague and vacuous.
Roger, platitude, often spoken as though novel or insightful - meant to convey a message or concept but often devoid of either.

Quote:Is there really a place where everything is written down that is going to happen? What are these statements supposed to do? If the intent is to make me feel better, it does not provide that comfort.

So tell me folks, what are your thoughts on fate/predetermination?
I think that hard, scary determinism is difficult to write off. There needn't be any place all of this is written down. In any case, a platitude is meant to fill a gap in conversation or knowledge...as far as I can tell..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm)Walking Void Wrote: This seems more like a philosophical topic but...

Everything does happen for a reason. An unobjectionable reason at that. Because every act is a fact and there is evidence to prove what happens/happened.

Unfortunately that's not what most people mean when they say that. They always mean there's some cosmic reason that events happen, i.e. God's will.

I absolutely hate hearing "everything happens for a reason."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I think "shit happens" and then people hunt around looking for reasons for it.
(June 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think "shit happens" and then people hunt around looking for reasons for it.

Exactly. Tornado levels your town? Everything happens for a reason. WBC says it's because we're tolerant of gays, while more moderate Christians claim it's so God can show his power by leveling your town while allowing you to live through it.

While the actual reason is because of a low pressure system allowing a supercell to build up and cause torrential rain and winds rolling along the ground which one end gets sucked up into the supercell creating a strong vertical vortex. But that doesn't sound as comforting as a guy up there in the clouds sending a natural disaster your way just to show that other people care.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I find it more comforting than the thought that there is some holy psychopath randomly slaughtering people whenever he gets pissed off about something. But, that's probably just me.
(June 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Roger, platitude, often spoken as though novel or insightful - meant to convey a message or concept but often devoid of either.

It's not a platitude. It's like CD said. It's meant to say that you shouldn't worry about things beyond your control.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1136 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  I had no idea my ex wife was in the neighborhood onlinebiker 3 541 January 21, 2019 at 9:35 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  An idea for a thread series GrandizerII 13 1550 December 30, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Have You Ever Had a Brilliant Idea JackRussell 46 14215 July 4, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  my healthcare idea dyresand 11 1685 March 26, 2017 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  AF "Mafia" Forum Game (PSA for people who have no idea what it is) Tiberius 29 2796 January 4, 2017 at 9:11 am
Last Post: emjay
  Novel idea for you. Foxaèr 3 620 April 19, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Conceptual movie idea Heat 16 2653 January 4, 2016 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Heat
  AF novel idea! ignoramus 12 2101 August 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Had an idea... Ravenshire 4 1517 May 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie