Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible Study
Bible Study
I am new to this forum site, so I don't know how this will go down, but here goes...

I am an atheist who was raised as a Christian, and am very familiar with the Bible due to my religious past. While I am now aware that it is far from the 'good book', I recognize that my ethical roots are planted in much of what Jesus had to say. So my idea is this:

I would like to read the canonical Gospels (Matthew-John), skipping the boring genealogies and repeated stories (i.e. read the Sermon on the Mount once). We would read at our leisure during the week and then get together here on Sunday at (time to be determined) and discuss. It would work best if we could have at least one representative from each religion and non-religious philosophy. Well, that it is the idea.

P.S. One reason that got me to think about this is the Jefferson Bible, which I recommend doing research on.
RE: Bible Study
(July 6, 2013 at 12:23 am)Little Billy Wrote: I am new to this forum site, so I don't know how this will go down, but here goes...

I am an atheist who was raised as a Christian, and am very familiar with the Bible due to my religious past. While I am now aware that it is far from the 'good book', I recognize that my ethical roots are planted in much of what Jesus had to say. So my idea is this:

I would like to read the canonical Gospels (Matthew-John), skipping the boring genealogies and repeated stories (i.e. read the Sermon on the Mount once). We would read at our leisure during the week and then get together here on Sunday at (time to be determined) and discuss. It would work best if we could have at least one representative from each religion and non-religious philosophy. Well, that it is the idea.

P.S. One reason that got me to think about this is the Jefferson Bible, which I recommend doing research on.

I would advise against it. Given the common perspective on the bible here, it might end up uprooting your ethical roots.
No, no. Let him start. Let's see how much of this jesus shit is nothing but warmed over Hellenic philosophy. Might be entertaining.

Quote: "Do not do to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." Pittacus of Mytilene c 600 BCE

Quote: “For the very rich to be also good is impossible" --Plato c 400 BCE
So, let me get this straight. We would be atheists... who quit church... and began one of their own in an atheist forum? But... why? Jesus Stoning
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(July 6, 2013 at 3:05 am)Ivy Wrote: But... why?

Know your enemy? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(July 6, 2013 at 12:52 am)genkaus Wrote:
(July 6, 2013 at 12:23 am)Little Billy Wrote: I am new to this forum site, so I don't know how this will go down, but here goes...

I would advise against it. Given the common perspective on the bible here, it might end up uprooting your ethical roots.

I've already read the NT many times and can confirm that much of our modern, Western world ethics is based on the GOOD PARTS of what Jesus said. I know he said some heinous shit - let's root that out and keep the good. Thanks for your insight, though.

(July 6, 2013 at 1:46 am)Minimalist Wrote: No, no. Let him start. Let's see how much of this jesus shit is nothing but warmed over Hellenic philosophy. Might be entertaining.

Quote: "Do not do to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." Pittacus of Mytilene c 600 BCE

Quote: “For the very rich to be also good is impossible" --Plato c 400 BCE

"Let him start?" Are you prepared to educate me with your polished quotes? 'Cause I have access to quote sites, too. The golden rule predates Jesus by at least 600 years via Confucius. And Jesus said some garbage, but he said some cool stuff, too.
Welcome small penis

It seems that everyone is talking at crossed purposes here. It's like God deliberately confused y'all or summin! :p

We could actually have a forum section on discrediting the bible. And every other religious book come to that.

So this is me, your fairy godmother granting your wish already.

*sprinkles fairy dust*

Now go and play nicely you little tinkers!

Big Grin

I would like to read the canonical Gospels (Matthew-John), skipping the boring genealogies and repeated stories (i.e. read the Sermon on the ). We would read at our leisure during the week and then get together here on Sunday at (time to be determined) and discuss. It would work best if we could have at least one from each religion and non-religious philosophy. Well, that it is the idea.

I would recommend reading works by Greek and Roman philosophers, particularly that of the Stoic school (which includes men such as , and just to name a few). These thinkers advocated some ideas many believe emerged for the first time during the enlightenment. For example; they advocated the brotherhood of humanity, the natural equality of all human beings. Not to mention they condemned the institution of slavery.

There is little doubt that many Christian thinkers were influenced by Stoic philosophy, especially when it comes to ethics. Because the New Testament for example; does not once ever explicitly condemn the institution of slavery. Indeed it regards slavery or some form of another as the natural condition of human beings. It just thinks some types of slavery (say to Satan) as bad, while other types of slavery (say to Jesus) as good.

Although I would not discount reading the New Testament to understand thoroughly, However one needs to also read then contemporary literature from the Classical world. Because the New Testament writers were rehashing what others at roughly the same time were saying.
undefined
I'm afraid the bible puts me to sleep though something like the Jefferson version might be the answer to that with the added benefit of being able to fit on a key ring.
(July 6, 2013 at 5:07 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome small penis

Did you just call the kid "small penis"?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44148 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Evangelicals, Trump and a Quick Bible Study DeistPaladin 52 4787 November 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2873 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5471 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 68457 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Review so far of the Romans study Drich 199 33484 December 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Biblical Christianity 101, a study of the book of Romans Drich 633 91161 December 14, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  STUDY: Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion. Randy Carson 132 31743 August 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7472 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  New Study: Atheists smarter than Religious People JesusHChrist 8 3211 August 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD