Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fine Xtians....
Fine Xtians....
acting like fucking muslims!

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2013071...MK7O1.html

Quote: BELFAST, Northern Ireland (AP) - Hundreds of police reinforcements from Britain were deployed on Belfast's rubble-strewn streets Saturday after Protestant riots over a blocked march left 32 officers, a senior lawmaker and at least eight rioters wounded.

Northern Ireland's police commander, Chief Constable Matt Baggott, blamed leaders of the Orange Order brotherhood for inciting six hours of running street battles in two parts of Belfast that subsided early Saturday. He derided their leadership as reckless and said they had no plan for controlling crowds they had summoned.

The anti-Catholic fraternity's annual July 12 marches always raise tensions with the Irish Catholic minority. Over each of the previous four years, Irish republican militants in Ardoyne have attacked police after an Orange parade passed by that Catholic district in north Belfast, the most bitterly divided part of the capital.

This year British authorities ordered Orangemen to avoid the stretch of road nearest Ardoyne, an order that police enforced by blocking their parade route with seven armored vehicles. Orange leaders took that as a challenge and rallied thousands of supporters to the spot, where some attacked the vehicles and the lines of heavily armored officers behind them.
RE: Fine Xtians....
Apart from all the (pointless and retarded) religious and political violence, NI is actually a pretty nice place.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I think you'll find that atheists are every bit as involved in the inter-communal violence as self-proclaimed 'believers'. More familiar terms for the two communities are 'Unionist', 'Nationalist', 'Republican' and 'Loyalist' as used by the BBC . In fact, an awful lot of the 'reaching across the divide' thing is being done by actual Xians:

A 'Protestant' organisation reaching out in a catholic area
History
(July 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm)Vicki Q Wrote: I think you'll find that atheists are every bit as involved in the inter-communal violence as self-proclaimed 'believers'. More familiar terms for the two communities are 'Unionist', 'Nationalist', 'Republican' and 'Loyalist' as used by the BBC . In fact, an awful lot of the 'reaching across the divide' thing is being done by actual Xians:

A 'Protestant' organisation reaching out in a catholic area
History
Well Vicki do you have evidence of atheists propagating violence in NI?

Whilst I would certainly agree that the divide in NI as as much political as it is religious, the political terms you mention above can only be used to describe one religious community or the other.

I agree however that a lot is being done by inter-community groups to help foster greater unity and less partition. However, it must also be said that an equal number of groups are doing just as much to undermine that.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

(July 23, 2013 at 4:22 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Well Vicki do you have evidence of atheists propagating violence in NI?

Are you seriously suggesting that there aren't atheists involved in the violence?

I'm reminded of the old joke:

A journalist, researching for an article on the complex political situation in Northern Ireland, was in a pub in a war-torn area of Belfast. One of his potential informants leaned over his pint of Guinness and suspiciously cross-examined the journalist: "Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?" the Irishman asked.
"Neither," replied the journalist; "I'm an atheist."
The Irishman, not content with this answer, put a further question: "Ah, but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

Quote:Whilst I would certainly agree that the divide in NI as as much political as it is religious, the political terms you mention above can only be used to describe one religious community or the other.

I agree however that a lot is being done by inter-community groups to help foster greater unity and less partition. However, it must also be said that an equal number of groups are doing just as much to undermine that.

It is worth remembering that at various times in the Troubles, significant numbers of Protestants signed up for the Nationalist cause and some of these, such as Wolf Tone and Charles Parnell, are extremely important in the Irish Nationalist story. And indeed there is a significant Catholic Unionist community.

I'm not pretending that religion isn't a factor in all this, but anyone suggesting this is playing out like Shia/Sunni seriously needs to read a good book on Irish history.

I think I would, up to a point, go along with your suggestion that if religion is creating issues, it is also trying to solve them. I'm sure you picked up from my link that 174 Trust is an overtly Christian organisation seeking resolution across the communities.
(July 24, 2013 at 7:38 am)Vicki Q Wrote:
(July 23, 2013 at 4:22 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Well Vicki do you have evidence of atheists propagating violence in NI?

Are you seriously suggesting that there aren't atheists involved in the violence?

I'm reminded of the old joke:

A journalist, researching for an article on the complex political situation in Northern Ireland, was in a pub in a war-torn area of Belfast. One of his potential informants leaned over his pint of Guinness and suspiciously cross-examined the journalist: "Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?" the Irishman asked.
"Neither," replied the journalist; "I'm an atheist."
The Irishman, not content with this answer, put a further question: "Ah, but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

No. Also, no need to add emphasis as I claim nothing of the sort.

I'm asking you to back up your claim, then we can contextualise it as such.

Your insinuation is that the violence and separation in NI is not entirely of a religious nature.

Not an unreasonable claim. However, you need to back your claim up as the reasoning behind it appears prima facie to be that 'atheists are involved in the violence too so it can't simply be a religious disagreement'. If this is an I correct summary then one needs to Cite evidence to correct.

(July 24, 2013 at 7:38 am)Vicki Q Wrote:
Quote:Whilst I would certainly agree that the divide in NI as as much political as it is religious, the political terms you mention above can only be used to describe one religious community or the other.

It is worth remembering that at various times in the Troubles, significant numbers of Protestants signed up for the Nationalist cause and some of these, such as Wolf Tone and Charles Parnell, are extremely important in the Irish Nationalist story. And indeed there is a significant Catholic Unionist community.

I'm not pretending that religion isn't a factor in all this, but anyone suggesting this is playing out like Shia/Sunni seriously needs to read a good book on Irish history.

I think I would, up to a point, go along with your suggestion that if religion is creating issues, it is also trying to solve them. I'm sure you picked up from my link that 174 Trust is an overtly Christian organisation seeking resolution across the communities.

Indeed, and i agree with the above. The nuances of the troubles, and everything since they supposedly ended (debatable as I'm sure you'll agree) are most certainly multi-faceted and it would be naive to pinpoint a specific factor as the overriding factor to which all said issues stem,

That being said, I think that if NI were to become more rigioursly secular, and a sense of religious neutrality were instilled in Stormont by successive political generations, then I feel that the political issues would begin to ebb to a greater degree. A very close friend of mine is from Nothern Ireland of my generation (mid 20s), and his opinion was that the religious and political conflicts of the past hold little sway with many who believe in neither the virtues of Protestantism nor Catholicism. Not to demean those two entities and their operations within NI, certainly, but it would indicate that peaceful state structures tend to be those that leave religion at the front door.

I'm being naive myself expecting a parliament based in a country where religious, social and political structures are so entwined to become more secular overnight, but I think it should be NI's ultimate goal.

Quote:Northern Ireland's police commander, Chief Constable Matt Baggott,

His name made me giggle.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3116 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1368 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Xtians tried to pray Irma away drfuzzy 11 2422 September 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  No Surprise, Here. Xtians Are Full of Shit. Minimalist 5 1196 August 4, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13356 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Gay, Catholic and Doing Fine athrock 413 42012 February 12, 2016 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A challenge to xtians persuade me dyresand 47 10716 September 4, 2015 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Fuck Off, Xtians! Minimalist 94 20619 July 27, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Xtians Celebrate Hitler's Birthday ThomM 7 2529 April 21, 2014 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Aractus
  This Should Piss Off Some Xtians Minimalist 7 2781 April 7, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist