Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivation for college: education or salary?
Motivation for college: education or salary?
I've noticed an increasingly prevalent attitude about college that I find to be quite cynical: the only reason you go to college is to increase your chances of earning a higher income after you graduate. Because of increasing tuition costs and interests rates, I can understand how such an attitude might become more common nowadays. A nice comfy salary would be great of course after college but should that really be the end goal of one's education? To me if I had to choose between (1) studying something I love but as result not having that great of employment options and (2) studying something I'm ambivalent towards or even hate but would possibly get a $100,000 job as a result, I'm afraid I would have to go with the former. Spending 8 hours a day doing something I hate to earn a high salary isn't worth it (assuming there aren't already other extenuating circumstances such as family). I wouldn't be meeting my full potential because in my mind my potential is not necessarily correlated with my income level.

Art, music, and philosophy students are much maligned from my observations from business, technology, and science students because of their "worthless" degrees. Supposedly people into the fine arts like myself should either just drop out and apply to Starbucks or get a "real" degree in say engineering or mathematics. Sure, a violinist is not going to is not going to help invent the first interstellar drive, a painter is not going to invent the next iPhone, nor is an english major going to cure cancer but doing those things are not what everyone feels at all called to do. This sort of degeneration of art, music, literature, philosophy and related majors I suspect unwarrantedly assumes three things: (1) an education's worth is related to that education's utility to society, (2) that the "utility" of an education is only measured by how well an education serves toward's society's technological advancement, and (3) that a graduate's salary is somehow correlated with their self worth and how well they contribute toward's society's technological advancement. I almost get the impression when people express this sort of thinking that their ideal society is a Borg cube.

There are some other notions I resent about majors outside of the scientific/technical world. I get the impression from some that Art/Music/Writing etc is "easy." I kindly ask of such people to write a decent fugue. They can't of course before spending years reading thousands of pages from dozens of books on the subject.

I've also heard it suggested that people should just teach themselves art. That's possible and I've done it for myself for the past five years but you won't have the needed pressure to insure that you are committed fully to the study, nor will you probably be allowed time to really focus on your art undisturbed from other matters that would get in your way if you weren't in college or if you were enrolled in some other technical major. Nor would you have the support from teachers.

To me, education and meeting one's full potential in doing what they're talented in is more important than what gets you a high income. (Of course I understand however not everyone has the opportunity to readily choose between such extremes.)

What do you think? Has anyone else noticed this derogatory sentiment towards art majors, music majors, and etc? What do you think of it?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Motivation for college: education or salary?
I attended college for the sake of learning what I wanted to learn, rather than to earn a degree that would earn me money.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think you are correct, TEGH, but the reason is not cynicism. The reason is that students are being told that a high school diploma is utterly worthless on the job market and a 4 year degree is necessary. People are only now starting to realize the bullshit nature of that position. Most jobs do not require a 4 year degree and the skills needed could be obtained by OTJ instruction or a trade school.
I think that I would like to take you up on your offer to have fries with that.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
College and Uni education is free in Austria, at a maximum of 500 euros per semester in Germany and at 300 euros per semester in Prag (where they also have courses in German language)

I havent yet completly decided to which one of those countries to go, or to maybe even study in the Netherlands.

But I simply wanted to rub under your nose that here in mainland continental Europe (The UK is MURICAS 51st state) the prevailing notion concerning education is that it is a human right and not a product.
(July 21, 2013 at 12:27 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: College and Uni education is free in Austria, at a maximum of 500 euros per semester in Germany and at 300 euros per semester in Prag (where they also have courses in German language)

I havent yet completly decided to which one of those countries to go, or to maybe even study in the Netherlands.

But I simply wanted to rub under your nose that here in mainland continental Europe (The UK is MURICAS 51st state) the prevailing notion concerning education is that it is a human right and not a product.

Hmm. You wouldn't happen to be looking for a roommate perchance?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Going to college is actually one of the major regrets of my life. Sure I know a bunch of mostly useless knowledge, but it wasn't worth 4 years of my life. It's a scam that forces people into the workplace because they are sold this idea that they need college and then go into massive debt to get themselves a 4 year degree that isn't that useful. There is soooo much in life that money doesn't buy. The massive effort that people go to just to get a little more money is mind boggling. Most lives are totally wasted in the pursuit of money and material goods.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(July 21, 2013 at 12:38 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Hmm. You wouldn't happen to be looking for a roommate perchance?

If you speak well enought German, no problem.

Right now I am planning for Berlin.
I heard they have lots of pretty boys in Berlin.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 21, 2013 at 12:58 am)Maelstrom Wrote: I heard they have lots of pretty boys in Berlin.

The mayor of Berlin is a homosexual, it was the first European place to tolerate homosexuality (in the brief phase between the end of world war 1 and Hitlers rise to power). I think I can say with confidence that it is the most liberal, progressive and exciting place on this continent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Economics and medicine in general education Macoleco 13 1172 June 13, 2019 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Wow , I have finally reached the last semester of my education :) Megabullshit 14 1620 April 15, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What Was Your Sex Education Like? Jade-Green Stone 30 2603 October 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  College, degrees, and jobs, oh my! Foxaèr 51 4709 May 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Linda Brown of Brown v. Board of Education died (76) Cecelia 2 561 March 27, 2018 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Is being a virgin a turnoff for girls in college NuclearEnergy 46 6586 January 12, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are college aged guys so horny NuclearEnergy 39 5307 January 9, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Education and crime Macoleco 6 1151 October 31, 2016 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Zero Motivation... how do you get through it? Joods 20 2197 March 2, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Levels of Education rexbeccarox 108 12995 November 13, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Alex K