Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much money a year do you need to live?
How much money a year do you need to live?
Every once in a while on these forums the discussion of how it's impossible to live off of (fill in the blank) amount of money is somehow brought up, normally in a political context. The amount of money is almost invariably far more than I make in a year. What you really need to live a basic existence is way way less than most people in the first world think. My guess is that most people have never found out how easy it is to go without some of the things that they think are necessary and live a life devoid of material possessions. People will repeat the mantra that money doesn't buy happiness and then spend their whole lives trying to fill a void in their life with material nonsense.

I'm just curious as to how much money people think is necessary to live a basic existence in the United States (or wherever you are from)?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: How much money a year do you need to live?
I could live off 800 a month comfortably. All I need to eat is brown rice and eggs. 9600 a year.

How much do you live off?
About 15K a year if you don't care about eating well or ever doing anything social. I know 'cause that's how Hovik and I live.

EDIT: I should also point out that I don't pay for my car insurance (I rarely use my car, so I don't have many fuel costs), have no health insurance, don't pay for my cell phone and I don't have cable. I also live in a shithole with a roommate.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
There are people in New York City to appear to live a basic existence on a few dollars a month. They don't seem very happy, though.

Where I live (NYC) it depends on a lot of factors, such as whether or not you qualify for government assistance, which can provide money for food and discounted costs for rent. You might be able to live with "the basics" (including phone service and a TV, but not cable or internet) for perhaps under $20,000 a year. It is also not likely to be a happy existence, since it means living in areas that are run-down, dirty, and dangerous and surrounded by people who are depressed and anxious over their plight. I would consider my childhood to be pretty happy, but that may just be my own optimistic outlook getting in the way. I saw some pretty bad things growing up.

For a time my mother and I lived off of my minimum-wage jobs just after high school in the late 80s/early 90s. There were a few years there where we lived on around $11-13k a year. This was in the projects, which weren't quite as bad as the tenements we'd moved from in '79. Based on inflation I assume the costs would be about 3x today, though the minimum wage hasn't increased threefold (it was $4.50 back then).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I don't know but I don't want to live just a "basic existence". I want to travel. I want to be able to pay for health care since I have chronic illness. I also want to go to school. None of those are material possessions. If i did, I suppose I could do it on $900 a month. Unless I lived with others in a small apartment then I could do it on less. If I purposely lived within the bus system of my city then I could subtract a little off there too. Probably for $500 a month I could house, feed and clothe myself.
(July 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm)Dena Wrote: I also want to go to school.
Libraries are more efficient for learning what interests you, in my opinion. They're free, too.
I make around 2000/month and between rent, food,car note, and random ass bills its still hard....
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
16-17k for scraping through. Like what Annik described. Cook at home everyday and buy groceries from chinatown. And of course, public transportation/walking.
I do not work, which is why I am hoping to earn some money from my writing. As a result of a culmination of events over the past couple of years, I am living in a motel room with free wi-fi and free basic cable. Basically, the only thing I have to my name is my writing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
How can one only be 'just getting by' on upwards of 15k a year? The game is optional, guys, c'mon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Have Less than One Year ZoomerTrumper 4 395 February 26, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  When You DON’T Live In A Dystopian Hellscape BrianSoddingBoru4 8 677 August 14, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3927 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1316 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" plan is really expensive over a 10-year period.... Aegon 40 4558 September 22, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 3069 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1683 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1120 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Philosophy of Politics. UK has too much pussies nowadays too : 3 Duriu 7 1532 May 6, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Did Trump bomb Syria to back up his live tweets on Fox & Friends on 4/10? Whateverist 1 502 April 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist