Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article: 5 Reasons There Aren't More Women in Atheism
Article: 5 Reasons There Aren't More Women in Atheism
Interesting article, but I'm not sure I agree with it one hundred percent.

Women and Atheism

Some points might be valid, but it's hard for me to relate. I think it's because I've never really given a crap about gender "roles", so to speak.
RE: Article: 5 Reasons There Aren't More Women in Atheism
I didn't realize we had leaders. Hell, I can't even catagorize 'we' into a neat little package. How the author did, and found it lacking, is odd.
I have noticed that there seem to be few women atheists at my Secular Student Alliance at school. One reason that the article left out is that women are more religious because it is their role in society to be the bearers of morality, which is seen as synonymous with religion.
I think the more important question is, who cares? There are plenty of female atheists who are writing books, attending conferences and are active parts of the atheist community in general. When is a woman prominent 'enough' to be considered popular? Does there need to be a female Richard Dawkins?

I am just glad that there are famous atheist thinkers making headlines at all. Let alone if they are male or female.
To be a prominent media atheist you need a maverick streak and a highly assertive personality. If your going to buck the dominant culture, an over abundance of testosterone helps.
Regardless, it's not the atheists who are calling to curtail women's reproductive rights.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Regardless, it's not the atheists who are calling to curtail women's reproductive rights.

TRUTH! kudos...Clap
Atheism is the lack of belief. Doesn't matter if you tell people about it. How does someone even quantify how many people don't believe in god? Find that odd. Some people talk about it when they become atheists, some people don't. I never did, even now, IRL I barely mention religion.

So less women have devoted their careers to this cause. What's the big deal about that?
(July 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Atheism is the lack of belief. Doesn't matter if you tell people about it. How does someone even quantify how many people don't believe in god? Find that odd. Some people talk about it when they become atheists, some people don't. I never did, even now, IRL I barely mention religion.

So less women have devoted their careers to this cause. What's the big deal about that?

Yeah... actually, maybe that women rarely devote their careers to it is a sign of restraint on the part of females.
It's a matter of interest isn't it?

Not many people, as it is, devote their lives to the fight against religion. It's a rather new thing to do, and it's not always good for your career if you're outspoken about religion and how you hate it. I do wish the feminists would stop their campaign against barbie dolls, high heels, bras (and what else do they do these days) and speak up against Islam, Christianity, and all the other religions though, not gonna lie. I mean, feminism has done a lot for us women, but I'm not too happy with what they're doing right now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3247 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1970 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2275 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2971 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3397 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3948 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3655 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2190 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8563 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13