Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
In this thread, you must argue for the position you normally argue against. Feel free to use any argument that you've ever had presented to you. I will start off by throwing out some claims, assertions, and objections. I will make some fake people for you to direct your arguments to, but feel free to remove the argument I put in, and respond to anything you want! For example, your post would look something like this...

Typical Arrogant Atheist Wrote:God is not real because William Lane Craig is a douchebag

Texas Sailor Wrote:William Lane Craig may very well be a douchebag, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether or not God actually exists. Try again.

At this point Theists probably think this is some kind of trick, but honestly, you're probably better at this than you think. Just imagine all the reasons you have for not choosing a different religion, and all the things you don't find convincing about their arguments. Apply them to your own.

Theists have it a bit easier here I think. They just have to argue for a different religion other than their own, and not necessarily for Atheism. For Atheists, this may be a bit more difficult.

All too often people tend to think that the other side is ignoring logic, and merely agreeing with people that agree with them. This might be a fun way for everyone to get a chance to put the shoe on the other foot, and try to find a valid objection to raise for themselves. An important part of debate is considering objections that could be raised by your oponent, and ways to resolve them before they're raised. In this experiment, resolving them is not your responsibility. Just object!

Holier Than Thou Wrote:The profit Mohammed is a liar. Christ is the only way to salvation. All Christians know this is true. If you were more fortunate, you would have been born in a country that supports the right religion. You're in luck however, because all you will have to do is A/S/K and the true God will reveal himself to you and you will realize that your experience of Alah is just a delusion

Alah-Kazaam Wrote:The Koran makes it implicitly clear that Jesus was a false profit, and that anyone following the God he claimed to be true would be damned to eternal suffering. Jesus was just a lying man, and Christians worship him and think he's a God. Mohammed was a true profit of a real God.

Einsteinian Theist Wrote:Presupposing the existence of God is not the same as saying that the existence of God is self evident. It means that it is a necessary condition although not a sufficient one for the truth of Christianity. Because it is a necessary truth and not a sufficient one, two things follow:

1) We need to determine IF it is true, that is, we have to determine if God exists (or if you don't like adding on the name God forget "God" just use the term "ultimate being" or creator)

2) You would then need to establish that this being has revealed certain things. Namely, Christian things

This cannot be done.

Deistic Unity Wrote:Islam and Christianity are two ways of worshipping the same God. I can't believe there are still people that don't recognize this. They are from the same family of Abraham and they worship one God (Alah). I'm a Christian, and we worship Yahwey. Same thing, we just call it different things.

Typical Arrogant Atheist Wrote:There is no God. I don't have to prove that God doesn't exist. I know for a fact it doesn't exist, besides, you not being able to prove it demonstrates my point.

If you don't want to create a target argument, you may respond to what somebody else is pretending to defend, and we could have arguments between actual members. The only stipulation is that you MUST argue against the side you would normally defend. You may even argue with me, as I am a Christian defending my faith in Christ... The following is my argument directed at Atheists:

Texas Sailor Wrote:There is no good argument that proves that Atheism is true. When we look at the world around us, it seems wildly arrogant to assume that we are all that is. Even if I didn't have a profoundly intimate relationship with The Lord, it would be obvious that He is there and impossible to deny his power. Ther have been countless arguments given which lead blindly to the existence of an all powerful being. The Kalam, the TAG are but a few. I ask you, if no God, then what? Atheists have no answer to this question, yet they feel confident in claiming that God is not real. We are complex creatures with the ability to love. Why? Of all the creatures on this planet and the universe in which it sits, why are we the only ones that have the ability to seek a God and desire his love? If there was no God, where would this desire come from?

There is something that satisfies my every humanly instinct and desire:

When I am urged to drink, there is water to satisfy my thirst.

When I am urged to eat, there is food to satisfy my hunger.

When I grow tired, sleep satisfies my...sleepiness?...(You know what I mean.)

I desire a God, there must be a God to fulfill this urge. Do Atheists expect us to believe that this is the one exception for which I desire something, yet there is no earthly fulfillment? Yet, they cannot prove it. There are clearly more good reasons to believe a God exists. I lift my heart and faith to the lord and he has lead me to success and a profound understanding of his neverending love.

You get the idea. Treat this like any other thread. Use the things I've provided, and attack them! You just can't argue for the side you usually do. Have fun!

Typical Arrogant Atheist Wrote:There is no God. I don't have to prove that God doesn't exist. I know for a fact it doesn't exist, besides, you not being able to prove it demonstrates my point.
Actually, you have just made a claim that THERE IS NO GOD. You took on a burden of proof there guy. Start trying to move it, and quit trying to shift it on my shoulders.
RE: Devil's Advocate
http://atheistforums.org/thread-17189.html

Checkmate atheists.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Devil's Advocate
(February 13, 2013 at 5:43 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I've been reading many topics on this site and time and time again, atheists like to speak of "proof" and "reason".

The only problem with this is that God is above these things. These are human terms, thought of by humans, and decided among non-believers to be the thing to look for.

How can we use these man-made methods to measure the existence of the Creator that created us? There's no logic in that. God, and all things about Him, are above our minds and our conventional ways of thinking.

We use these ways of thinking on everything around us, literally speaking, but how are we supposed to use them on a GOD, something the human mind even has difficulty comprehending, something totally above us. We can't.

(February 13, 2013 at 5:43 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: The only problem with this is that God is above these things. These are human terms, thought of by humans, and decided among non-believers to be the thing to look for.

How can we use these man-made methods to measure the existence of the Creator that created us?

I agree. Non-believers don't have any method to measure his existence. I'm glad he loves me and talks to me though. I can't imagine a life without my Jesus. If I thought anybody was trying to take him away, I'd kill them, or if Jesus told me to do it anyway, then I would kill them. But that's the only killing i'ld do! A/S/K!

Angel Cloud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Devil just needs a character rewrite Nachos_of_Nurgle 16 1502 February 16, 2022 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2269 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8379 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Devil downbeatplumb 64 9292 November 29, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  9-year old girl hearing voices of the Devil. Jehanne 103 13753 July 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9055 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 5682 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Rcc thinks Charlie Hebdo is the devil GUBU 76 15568 January 12, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Belief in The Devil in 2015 Iroscato 71 15573 April 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12466 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist