Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church Worship is....Sacrilegious?
Church Worship is....Sacrilegious?
I was reading Matthew the other day, and I came across something quite controversial in chapter 6, verse 5-6:

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. When you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your father who sees in secret will reward you.

So in other words, it's sacrilegious to pray in public? Well, churches do that all the time. Are they all destined for hell?
RE: Church Worship is....Sacrilegious?
It's just another case of Christians picking what they want from the Bible and ignoring what they don't.

They'll tell you you're taking it out of context, or maybe even say that Paul changed that idea because of some stupid revelation, but the fact stands: Christianity doesn't play by its own rules.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
You will face willfully ignorant people who will rely on shuting down their hearing, when you confront any believer of whatever abrahamic sect with this.
Three very deluded people, looks like Satan still hard at work.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I don't know....they seem to have a bullshitter like you pegged pretty clearly!
Its just a couple of mistranslations. From the ancient Hebrew the real translation of "hypocrites" is exhibitionists and it is not "pray" but masturbate:

"And when you masturbate, you must not be like the exhibitionists, for they love to stand and masturbate in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. When you masturbate, go into your room and shut the door (missing from the text - take tissues) and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your father who sees in secret will reward you."
(September 23, 2013 at 12:55 am)Godschild Wrote: Three very deluded people, looks like Satan still hard at work.

Smile GC

Three people doing Satan's work? I guess you don't have DirecTV.

I have twelve channels of Jesus. Well, at least twelve channels of assholes asking for 'love gifts' in Jesus' name. Send me money, Jesus will fucking die if you don't send me money. It's not a donation, the lord doesn't accept charity, it's a 'love gift'. If you send a thousand dollars (not thouseand island) the lord will bless you 100 fold. Just send the damn check. Your soul's at stake. Don't believe me? Ask this poor asshole that I'm getting ready to put on TV.

Seriously, what the fuck does God or Jesus need with money?
They want me to send them a love-gift?

Never done that in an envelope.
(September 23, 2013 at 12:55 am)Godschild Wrote: Three very deluded people, looks like Satan still hard at work.

Smile GC

Number of people killed by God in the Bible: 2,800,000
Number of people killed by Satan in the Bible: 10

Satan, you keep doing your work! It's cheaper!
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey

Smile GC

And there it is! The way to get around any hypocrisy, any contradiction, any immorality or misguided or flat out wrong thing in the bible: not giving a shit!

I love it, it's so fucking impossible to talk about this stuff with christians because they don't even care about their own religion, just the holier-than-thou feeling it gives them. Look at GC here: instead of actually responding at all, he just ad homs, makes the same tired old references to satan (as one could also potentially do with context, or not having the correct interpretation, or any of the usual platitudes) and then he skates off into the sunset as though he's actually presented something of any value.

That's why church worship isn't sacrilegious, why god can do no wrong, why the bible can mean anything you want it to... the people actually worshiping the god don't care about a single word he says beyond what they can twist to fit whatever agenda they currently have.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1199 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Would they worship a chair? Fake Messiah 20 1407 April 26, 2021 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The ethics of worship Nihilist Virus 42 4978 October 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1738 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Well, shit... Now who are supposed to worship? Cyberman 20 4510 July 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Praise GOD !!!! A Jesus your Vorlon would worship !!!!!! vorlon13 7 1318 April 22, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4122 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do Christians worship a suicide victim? madog 101 11128 July 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Merzer
  Why Would You Worship? Shuffle 75 16203 August 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why worship god Lemonvariable72 4 1374 March 25, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: FreeTony