Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you get teens to help with hosehold chores?
How do you get teens to help with hosehold chores?
Of course one should start raising kids with the expectation of chores, but in our hectic lifestyle, we've failed miserably in doing so. My wife left work to care for our 1st child together (the 16 yo Daughter) and hasn't had to go back. Now my last child is getting close to school age and it is sickeningly apparent that our 28 and almost 16 year old daughters are woefully prepared to look after themselves, never mind the house.
I'm furious about their laziness. I have 3 children in the house, all girls, yet only the 6 year old knows what a broom is for.

I'm seriously thinking of putting the house up for sale and buying a barn.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: How do you get teens to help with hosehold chores?
Leave them alone for a week... or two. Tongue

I don't know... you brought this on yourself... now that they're grown up, you just need to use reasoning, instead of pavlovian conditioning.
Is there an allowance you can barter over?
I recently saw an awesome table from a brazilian father who started the month with a set amount and then had each row was labeled with something the kids had to do (or had to refrain from doing), and the corresponding penalty.
At the end of the month, the total would be calculated and the allowance was then given.... or not.

Here's the table, but it's in portuguese:

Penalties range from skipping, arriving late or just moaning about school, to not brushing the teeth, to leaving the lights on and the last one "disobeying the father or the mother" Wink
I'm not a parent so take my advice with a grain of salt but I would say make them work for the stuff they want. Teenagers love stuff....new phones, new clothes, going to movies, etc, etc. Make them work for all the stuff you would normally give them.
I haven't any kids of my own, but we were always expected to do chores. I haven't any wisdom to offer, as it would never have occurred to me to do what my parents expected me to do.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Try not doing things for them. "Oh you want clean clothes to wear? Better get to washing" etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you get bored? zwanzig 19 1004 June 14, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 717 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1155 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1329 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2153 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
  Help! If You Hsbr sn iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac Please Do Me a Favor Rhondazvous 2 483 April 17, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  From where do you get your information ? notimportant1234 23 3354 January 9, 2018 at 11:22 am
  Do you ever get this feeling whilst in bed? Arsoo 18 2344 September 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Help Hammy Get to 130 Rep Edwardo Piet 5 758 September 27, 2017 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Help Tiberius get the most Rep. Tiberius 20 3206 September 27, 2017 at 3:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus