Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong Atheism - Arguments disproving God
Strong Atheism - Arguments disproving God
In the philosophy forum, in a thread called Evidence for God, there is a debate about God, where essentially atheists are challenged on God's existence.

Here in the Atheism Forum, I will be posting a series of Strong Atheism arguments devoted to demonstrating that the omni-everything Gods of Christianity, Judaism, Islam and similar religions are logically impossible. These religions, supposedly based on revelations from God state God created all, is perfectly good, totally good, omnipotent, and omniscient.

I will attempt to demonstrate these claims lead to a God that is self contradictory and impossible when considering these claimed attributes and the nature of God supposedly revealed to us or inspired by God.

Strong atheism is the concept of logically demonstrating God logically is impossible.
Not merely that God is not proven.

This first series of disproofs will concentrate on the common garden variety omni-everything creator God, the OEC Gods. Later I will examine other species of Gods.

Arguments I will present will be, Omnigenesis, the problem of a creator God who is omniscient. Free will and the problem of evil.
Omnigenesis and time. Time is a severe problem for a possible God.
Super-omnipotence. Can God make 2 + 2 = 5?
The soap bubble God. Simplicity of God and aseity of God.

Christians and others say we can not disprove God. Yes we can, and its almost trivial to do so. It is merely a matter of taking their revealed claims about God's attributes and running them out to their logical conclusions.

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
RE: Strong Atheism - Arguments disproving God
(October 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: In the philosophy forum, in a thread called Evidence for God, there is a debate about God, where essentially atheists are challenged on God's existence.

Here in the Atheism Forum, I will be posting a series of Strong Atheism arguments devoted to demonstrating that the omni-everything Gods of Christianity, Judaism, Islam and similar religions are logically impossible. These religions, supposedly based on revelations from God state God created all, is perfectly good, totally good, omnipotent, and omniscient.

I will attempt to demonstrate these claims lead to a God that is self contradictory and impossible when considering these claimed attributes and the nature of God supposedly revealed to us or inspired by God.

Strong atheism is the concept of logically demonstrating God logically is impossible.
Not merely that God is not proven.

This first series of disproofs will concentrate on the common garden variety omni-everything creator God, the OEC Gods. Later I will examine other species of Gods.

Arguments I will present will be, Omnigenesis, the problem of a creator God who is omniscient. Free will and the problem of evil.

Christians and others say we can not disprove God. Yes we can, and its almost trivial to do so. It is merely a matter of taking their revealed claims about God's attributes and running them out to their logical conclusions.

Cheerful Charlie

How can you not say that free will (not the narrow Ancient Greek view) or at least a perceived notion of free will (who is to really say whether they have free will nor not?) per this definition, "voluntary choice or decision," is ultimately incompatible with pre-determinism?

Is fate really that solid? Life is not just a story in a book and even if the ending is known in the story of life, the in-between is still up to the individual on how they want to live their life.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(October 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(October 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: In the philosophy forum, in a thread called Evidence for God, there is a debate about God, where essentially atheists are challenged on God's existence.

Cheerful Charlie

How can you not say that free will (not the narrow Ancient Greek view) or at least a perceived notion of free will (who is to really say whether they have free will nor not?) per this definition, "voluntary choice or decision," is ultimately incompatible with pre-determinism?

Is fate really that solid? Life is not just a story in a book and even if the ending is known in the story of live, the in-between is still up to the individual on how they want to live their life.

The short bumpersticker answer is, if god creates all and is omniscient, knowing the future in full detail from any initial state of creation god chooses, all will unfold in a manner God will know in full detail. God's omniscience which is pretty much standard issue dogma causes strict determinism to obtain. Free will is impossible for sentient beings in such a Universe.

"Free will is impossible"
-- Martin Luther - 'Bondage of the Will"

Luther and Calvin and others adopted this from Augustine who tried for 30 years to square free will and the Bible and finally admitted it was impossible. Their versions were based on biblical dogma, mine is based more on logical deduction.

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
(October 20, 2013 at 12:51 am)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(October 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm)Polaris Wrote: How can you not say that free will (not the narrow Ancient Greek view) or at least a perceived notion of free will (who is to really say whether they have free will nor not?) per this definition, "voluntary choice or decision," is ultimately incompatible with pre-determinism?

Is fate really that solid? Life is not just a story in a book and even if the ending is known in the story of live, the in-between is still up to the individual on how they want to live their life.

The short bumpersticker answer is, if god creates all and is omniscient, knowing the future in full detail from any initial state of creation god chooses, all will unfold in a manner God will know in full detail. God's omniscience which is pretty much standard issue dogma causes strict determinism to obtain. Free will is impossible for sentient beings in such a Universe.

"Free will is impossible"
-- Martin Luther - 'Bondage of the Will"

Luther and Calvin and others adopted this from Augustine who tried for 30 years to square free will and the Bible and finally admitted it was impossible. Their versions were based on biblical dogma, mine is based more on logical deduction.

Cheerful Charlie

What if God knew, but just did not care? Does omniscience really mean He would know how every thread in a story ended or just bits and pieces of the story like someone who skimmed through to the end of a long book? Who is to say omniscience cannot be limited to only being all-knowing in the present reality without a complete foresight?

Even if there is true omniscience or that God has such potential to know everything there is to know, there are the believers who see God as having inherent omniscience (as opposed to a complete, all-surpassing omniscience) where God would have the ability to be all-knowing, yet purposefully limit Himself so that humans can have a version of free will.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 697 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15874 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 30863 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23675 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19031 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78250 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12153 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51031 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150865 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27078 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm