Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion a lie?
Is religion a lie?
Is religion a lie.........?
I want your opinions and why?

I'm not so sure but maybe after keeping those things written down for thousands of years can get misunderstood or tampered with... what do you think?

If religion is not a lie why are there are 4000 religions... every one apart from 1 has to be a lie!!! We have been deceived so much that we can't track back down to prove if it is a lie but it must be. Thinking

All religion boils down to a socially-acceptable way for adults to believe in magic.
The truth is that there is no such thing as magic.

ROFLOL
RE: Is religion a lie?
There are 4000 religions because people are both gullible and stupid. And no every one apart from 1 doesn't have to be a lie. They can all be wrong
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
On an atheist forum the answer is bound to result in most people saying yes religion is a lie.
if you were on a religious forum of any kind then they would probably say the vast majority of religions are lying except the specific one they believe in, and the specific sect they are a part of within that religion.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I would not call them lies. A lie implies that the person telling it, knows that what they are saying is wrong or not factually correct. Sure, the religion may have started out as a lie or it may not have done. But no religious person today actually knows if their religion is true or not.

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Religions exist.

That's not a lie.

Myths and legends exist. That's true too.

Ignorance, fear and doubt exist too.

Add together, mix well...

Voila! Christianity.
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
(October 20, 2013 at 8:12 am)Rationalman Wrote: I would not call them lies. A lie implies that the person telling it, knows that what they are saying is wrong or not factually correct. Sure, the religion may have started out as a lie or it may not have done. But no religious person today actually knows if their religion is true or not.

I meant where they just "made up" to terrorize people instead of the word "lie/ deceive" then
No, religions are - by and large - not deliberate lies (I except Mormonism and a few others) as much as they are simple wrong-headedness.

A lie is a very specific sort of untruth. For instance, suppose you ask me how many eggs I have in my fridge and I answer, 'Six.' You take a look and find seven eggs, whirl and point dramatically and shout 'Liar!' But my answer is only a lie if I knew that I had seven eggs and deliberately misrepresented the number. Otherwise, it's simply a mistake.

Nor do I think that religions are deliberately made up (again, Mormonism) with the intention of terrorizing people. I strongly suspect that religion grew out of a sincere attempt by primitive people to understand the world around them. I can easily imagine Oog spilling water out of a gourd and extrapolating that there is a Great Gourd Spiller in the sky who is responsible for making rain. That being said, I've no doubt that the priest-class of every religion that has one have been guilty of using religion to control people through fear, but that's not quite the same thing you posited. Come to think of it, EVERY power class has used fear in an attempt to control the powerless. Religion isn't unique in this regard.

But we understand what causes rain (and earthquakes and lightning and floods and disease, etc, etc) so why is there still religion? A couple of reasons, I suspect.

Firstly, momentum. People have been religiously-minded ever since they've had time to wonder about things beyond basic necessities. And for most of our history, supernatural explanations for natural phenomena appeared to work. Atheism is the relatively new kid on the block.

Secondly, religion is comforting to religionists. How often have we all said or heard or read, 'Better an honest doubt than a comforting myth' or some such? But discomfort is tough for a lot of people. In general, I don't think religionists are as afraid of punishment for themselves (they seem to want to reserve that for people of different opinions) as they are hopeful of reward.

So, no - religion on the whole isn't a lie, nor is it intentional fiction.

But that doesn't make it true.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Some would have started as a lie mormonism and scientology spring to mind.
Others would have been made either as result of genuine delusion or the miss-perception of something.
Others would have started as something else other than religion and acquired dogma and religious trappings later.

One thing I am sure of is that no religion ever was the product of a supernatural entity interacting with people.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 20, 2013 at 8:22 am)Dolphins are the best Wrote: I meant where they just "made up" to terrorize people instead of the word "lie/ deceive" then

Undoubtedly some were, others may be believed genuinely by whoever came up with them

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11108 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10714 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Simple facts don't lie JBrentonK 78 13997 December 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19809 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Who Dies For A Lie? Nope 48 12225 January 30, 2015 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49300 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  God doesn't lie because he says so. Edwardo Piet 18 7332 November 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: SpecUVdust
Question Is it better to lie to people in church? AthiestAtheist 39 8243 November 24, 2011 at 12:35 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused