Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't non-christians talk with god?
Why can't non-christians talk with god?
Of course the pat christian answer is that he does "telepathically" talk to anyone that will "humble" themselves. WOo

However that is a huge cop out. Why is god such a childish twit that he won't answer anyone who isn't groveling at him, except for Satan of course.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Why can't non-christians talk with god?
(October 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Of course the pat christian answer is that he does "telepathically" talk to anyone that will "humble" themselves. WOo

However that is a huge cop out. Why is god such a childish twit that he won't answer anyone who isn't groveling at him, except for Satan of course.
Huh, I've never heard a Christian speak of telepathy with god. Guess I'm missing out on the pat answers.
(October 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm)Brakeman Wrote: RE: Why can't non-christians talk with god?

For the same reason why adults can't talk to santa claus.
You can't pray to God if you don't believe God exists?
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: You can't pray to God if you don't believe God exists?

Why not?

Isn't God interested in saving all of his creation from eternal torture, or separation?

After all, you guys are already sold. We're the ones that need convincing.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Why not?

A good one to start with is to ask whether he exists and see if you experience anything in response. It may depend on how open you are to the response though or whether you were praying with serious intent.

Quote:Isn't God interested in saving all of his creation from eternal torture, or separation?

Absolutely.

Quote:After all, you guys are already sold. We're the ones that need convincing.

God will be happy to convince you but you have to be a willing participant, he's like a shy lover he won't force himself upon if you're not really that into him.
(October 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Why not?

A good one to start with is to ask whether he exists and see if you experience anything in response. It may depend on how open you are to the response though or whether you were praying with serious intent.

So, in other words, I have to believe first in order to believe.

Sounds like gullibility to me.

How is that any different than all the other religions that claim their god will communicate in subtle ways with them if they are open.

Why would God create me with a mind that is unable to believe things without being presented with evidence, then fail to give me the evidence that would convince me?

Quote:God will be happy to convince you but you have to be a willing participant, he's like a shy lover he won't force himself upon if you're not really that into him.

Not according to the way he behaved in his texts.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: So, in other words, I have to believe first in order to believe.

You would at least have to be some kind of seeker. That's why I said atheists wouldn't bother praying/talking to God as they don't believe he is real.

Quote:How is that any different than all the other religions that claim their god will communicate in subtle ways with them if they are open.

I'm under the assumption that it's the same God unless it's polytheism/idol worship.

Quote:Why would God create me with a mind that is unable to believe things without being presented with evidence, then fail to give me the evidence that would convince me?

If you had concrete/certain evidence you would have to believe in God not because you want to or are interested in a relationship with God but because you would have to. So it has to be optional you can't be forced into it.

Quote:Not according to the way he behaved in his texts.

Jesus behaved perfectly well. He's the more accurate depiction of God though sized down into human life.
(October 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Of course the pat christian answer is that he does "telepathically" talk to anyone that will "humble" themselves. WOo

If they could what would they say?

Do a magic trick for me? I want to win the lottery? Seriously if you had an audience with the Alpha and Omega of everything, what could you possiably say?
(October 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: God will be happy to convince you but you have to be a willing participant, he's like a shy lover he won't force himself upon if you're not really that into him.

No, he leaves that to his priests.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13228 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9505 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1221 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2851 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4306 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7843 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17612 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10514 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4792 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3953 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician