Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Abortion Law Struck Down
Texas Abortion Law Struck Down
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...932994.php

Quote:AUSTIN – A federal judge has struck down a key provision of Texas' new abortion law, blocking a statute set to go into effect Tuesday that required abortion providers to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals.

U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel, in a 26-page order issued Monday, ruled the admitting privileges requirement is unconstitutional and poses an undue burden on women seeking an abortion.

The statute "does not bear a rational relationship to the legitimate right of the State in preserving and promoting fetal life or a woman's health and, in any event, places a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking an abortion of a nonviable fetus and is thus an undue burden to her," Yeakel wrote. "The court concludes that admitting privileges have no rational relationship to improved patient care."

Let the shrieking commence from the jesus shits!
RE: Texas Abortion Law Struck Down
(October 28, 2013 at 5:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...932994.php

Quote:AUSTIN – A federal judge has struck down a key provision of Texas' new abortion law, blocking a statute set to go into effect Tuesday that required abortion providers to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals.

U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel, in a 26-page order issued Monday, ruled the admitting privileges requirement is unconstitutional and poses an undue burden on women seeking an abortion.

The statute "does not bear a rational relationship to the legitimate right of the State in preserving and promoting fetal life or a woman's health and, in any event, places a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking an abortion of a nonviable fetus and is thus an undue burden to her," Yeakel wrote. "The court concludes that admitting privileges have no rational relationship to improved patient care."

Let the shrieking commence from the jesus shits!

Strike one for the good guys. Sometimes EVIL fails.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Innit amazing how much conservatives yak on and on about personal freedom, then do everything they can to curtail it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah....well.....call me a cynic but I think the absofuckinglutely last thing these fascist bastards want is for the abortion debate to go away. It would play hell with their fund-raising and it is a sure fire means of getting their base all worked up. The issue is very important to them and I can't help but think that they never want to lose it.

The "morning after pill" could virtually eliminate the need for abortions and it scares the living piss out of republicunts.
But:

Quote:the court upheld a second measure, requiring doctors to use a particular drug protocol in nonsurgical, medication-induced abortions that doctors called outdated and too restrictive.

from NYT
(October 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah....well.....call me a cynic...

You're a cynic. Where's my Cookie
Quote:Courts in North Dakota and Oklahoma have struck down laws imposing the earlier drug protocol for medication abortions, but one remains in effect in Ohio.

It's already heading for the appellate courts.
(October 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Innit amazing how much conservatives yak on and on about personal freedom, then do everything they can to curtail it?

Boru

On the contrary, they believe that everybody should have the personal freedom to think, believe and behave exactly the way they want.

Might help out Wendy Davis in her gubernatorial run next year.
Obviously another "liberal activist judge." Funny how when judges issue decisions conservatives agree with, they're never called "activist judges."

I have to agree, though, that Republicans would actually hate to see abortion criminalized. Then they'd have to find another perennial issue to run on. It's a double-edged sword, though, because much of the country sees their anti-abortion stance as being misogynist.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 221 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4303 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  LAW and CIVILIZATION senorlegalo 64 4789 January 19, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1670 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4578 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2502 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 833 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Voting Machines Switching Votes in Texas ReptilianPeon 5 938 October 31, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 897 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1663 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda