Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Recommendation
Book Recommendation
I'm a relatively new atheist (12 months atheist, first two months agnostic). Any recommendations for a good book to read?
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
RE: Book Recommendation
I thought Letter to a Christian Nation was good. It was an easy read, but matter of fact.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I recommend 'The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever' by Hitchens. A good primer on atheism, it'll also point you towards loads of other books and authors.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Jesus Never Existed by Ken Humphreys
Good Omens. You never said it had to be a book about atheism. Tongue

On topic, I did enjoy God is Not Great, also by Hitch. I wouldn't bother with the God Delusion, which some might recommend- I read it a while ago, and can remember literally nothing about it, so it must have had some really impactful lessons. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
For some really good fiction, read Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins was my first book after outing myself as an atheist.

I haven't read a ton of atheist literature since then, but God is not Great and The Missionary Position (both by Hitchens) are also great for solidly slamming a nail in religion for me.

I preferred to listen to podcasts while I worked in the lab for a while. I like the Non-Prophets and the Atheist Experience (both put on by the Atheist Community of Austin). The non-Prophets is my favorite (they went on a hiatus for a while) because they discuss current events. The Atheist Experience is great, but becomes repetitive since it is a call-in show, the same things come up over and over again on that one, so you can burn yourself out on it (and there was a period over last summer or so when it got really hard to listen to because the hosts were being a bit too dickish, and that can still be a problem). The last one I used to listen to was The Thinking Atheist by Seth Andrews. He does a lot of topical shows that are pretty good, but can kind of get a bit preachy at times. I kind of migrated away from his podcasts when the topics became less and less interesting to me, so I don't really listen to his anymore (but there were some good ones in there for sure).
[Image: giphy.gif]
1. "The New Atheism", Victor Stenger
2. "The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins
3. "God Is Not Great" Christopher Hitchens
4. "The End Of Faith" Sam Harris
5. "Infidel" Ayaan Hersi Ali
6. "2000 Years of Disbelief" James Haught
7. "Letter To A Christian Nation" Sam Harris
9. "God The Failed Hypothesis" Victor Stinger
10. "Portable Atheist" Christopher Hitchens
Ayaan Hersi Ali's Infidel is a must. Although I rather enjoyed another book, a graphic novel, Persepolis, set in Iran about when extreme Islamists came into power. There's a book that has Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian" (and other essays), by that title, which is also very interesting. For fiiction - Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" is pretty damn good. I don't read books whose sole focus is Atheism, personally.
I quite enjoyed 101 Myths of the Bible by Gary Greenberg; an easy read since it doesn't have to be read in order (from myth #1 to myth #101) so if you only have a couple minutes you can skip around to the really short myths. Plus I've loved Egyptian mythology since I was a kid so it was a tactic I used to make the bible interesting to me as I read it.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1793 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2451 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6798 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2528 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1878 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2853 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6222 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1663 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5939 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 12308 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand