Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the problems with Christianity
All the problems with Christianity
...in one easy-to-find thread!
Hi all, I'm making a list of all the problems people have with Christianity. So please post the ones that are most problematic to you. They can be in the form of questions, insults, logical arguments, or whatever.
I'll try and answer them the best I can.
RE: All the problems with Christianity
It's a useless pile of shit.

Maybe you can give us an introductory thread, saying hello and giving us a bit of your background, before fielding requests.

Hello, btw Smile
Hi Smile
I thought about making an introduction thread, but I didn't see how my background really mattered, but ok, let me introduce myself...
I'm a Christian from the Bible belt (northern Ohio specifically), I like arguing about God, faith, religion, science, evolution, etc...
I consider myself a fundamentalist, even though I'm pretty disgusted by what some fundamentalists say (some stuff on FSTDT for example)...
That's all I can think of for now
But do tell, why is it a useless pile of shit?
The OP is the equivalent of letting a child loose in a candy store. Where to begin!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(November 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: But do tell, why is it a useless pile of shit?

Because there's nothing useful in it. From top to bottom, it's a bunch of baseless promises, made without evidence yet utterly offended by the idea that it might be a scam, made at the cost of dividing people and turning the world into the "saved" versus the "evil," and enjoins believers to rejoice at the suffering of the evil. It enforces ingroup/outgroup thinking based on completely imaginary divides, and encourages the ingroup to turn into self-congratulatory, book quoting, cruel idiots, reveling in the fact that they know more about a book of fiction than they do about the world around them. It's the justification for the kind of suffering that's just unimaginable to the secular in terms of what motivated it.

But the worst part? The worst part is the frustrating way that it's phrased, designed from end to end to shield itself from any kind of criticism or introspection. It stops you from ever changing, or even wanting to. Religion is nothing more than stasis, by violent means if necessary.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Quote: African Methodist Episcopal Zion (1)
African Orthodox Church (1)
American Baptist Churches USA (3)
Amish (16)
Anabaptist (4)
Anglican Catholic Church@
Anglican Church (126)
Antiochian Orthodox@
Armenian Evangelical Church (1)
Armenian Orthodox@
Assemblies of God (18)
Associated Gospel Churches of Canada@
Association of Vineyard Churches (5)
Baptist (140)
Baptist Bible Fellowship (2)
Branch Davidian (2)
Brethren in Christ (1)
Bruderhof Communities (10)
Byzantine Catholic Church@
Calvary Chapel (3)
Calvinist (4)
Catholic (1460)
Cell Church (12)
Celtic Orthodox@
Charismatic Episcopal Church (2)
Christadelphian (12)
Christian and Missionary Alliance (4)
Christian Churches of God (1)
Christian Identity (5)
Christian Reformed Church (4)
Christian Science (7)
Church of God (Anderson) (3)
Church of God (Cleveland) (4)
Church of God (Seventh Day) (1)
Church of God in Christ (1)
Church of God of Prophecy (1)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (118)
Church of Scotland@
Church of South India (1)
Church of the Brethren (7)
Church of the Lutheran Brethren of America (2)
Church of the Nazarene (14)
Church of the New Jerusalem (4)
Church of the United Brethren in Christ (2)
Church Universal and Triumphant (3)
Churches of Christ (26)
Churches of God General Conference (5)
Congregational Christian Churches (3)
Coptic Orthodox@
Cumberland Presbyterian Church (1)
Disciples of Christ (12)
Episcopal Church@
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (4)
Evangelical Congregational Church (4)
Evangelical Covenant Church (1)
Evangelical Formosan Church (1)
Evangelical Free Church (3)
Evangelical Lutheran Church (31)
Evangelical Methodist Church (1)
Evangelical Presbyterian (1)
Family, The (aka Children of God) (8)
Fellowship of Christian Assemblies (1)
Fellowship of Grace Brethren (3)
Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches (1)
Free Church of Scotland (3)
Free Methodist (6)
Free Presbyterian (2)
Free Will Baptist (4)
Gnostic@
Great Commission Association of Churches (2)

Greek Orthodox@
Hutterian Brethren (2)
Independent Fundamental Churches of America (1)
Indian Orthodox@
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel (3)
International Churches of Christ (6)
Jehovah's Witnesses (22)
Living Church of God (6)
Local Church (7)
Lutheran (37)
Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (18)
Mar Thoma Syrian Church (6)
Mennonite (23)
Messianic Judaism@
Methodist (16)
Moravian Church (3)
Nation of Yahweh (1)
New Frontiers International (1)
Old Catholic Church@
Orthodox (84)
Orthodox Church in America@
Orthodox Presbyterian (2)
Pentecostal (23)
Plymouth Brethren (4)
Presbyterian (70)
Presbyterian Church (USA) (15)
Presbyterian Church in America (7)
Primitive Baptist (3)
Protestant Reformed Church (6)
Reformed (13)
Reformed Baptist (7)
Reformed Church in America (3)
Reformed Church in the United States (1)
Reformed Churches of Australia@
Reformed Episcopal Church@
Reformed Presbyterian Church (5)
Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (4)
Revival Centres International (2)
Romanian Orthodox@
Rosicrucian@
Russian Orthodox@
Serbian Orthodox@
Seventh Day Baptist (3)
Seventh-Day Adventist (45)
Shaker (9)
Society of Friends (37)
Southern Baptist Convention (14)
Spiritist (2)
Syrian Orthodox@
True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days (2)
Two-by-Twos (3)
Unification Church (9)
Unitarian-Universalism@
United Church of Canada@
United Church of Christ (13)
United Church of God (3)
United Free Church of Scotland@
United Methodist Church (97)
United Reformed Church (1)
Uniting Church in Australia@
Unity Church (2)
Unity Fellowship Church (1)
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (1)
Virtual Churches (12)
Waldensian Church (3)
Way International, The (3)
Wesleyan (9)
Wesleyan Methodist@
Worldwide Church of God

Which particular bunch did you want to address? Or, did you think yours was the only one?
I agree with what Cap said, but I'll say it a bit more nicely.

For one thing, Christianity is a bad fit for human beings. The rules imposed (no coveting, give no thought for the morrow, abandon your loved ones to follow God, etc) are simply unworkable for normal, sane people.

Furthermore, the whole idea of substitutive punishment (Jesus died for YOUR sins) is, quite frankly, just bloody silly. It fairly reeks of the tradition of having a 'whipping boy', wherein another boy was literally whipped or beating for a princes misbehavior. If I rob a bank and you go to jail on my behalf, it doesn't punish me at all. A (largely) mythical rabbi being crucified for the sins of the world is the same travesty on a larger scale.

There's more, but that'll do to go on with.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Um, I'll take 'Two-by-twos' for $800 please Minimalist.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
(November 11, 2013 at 11:43 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: But do tell, why is it a useless pile of shit?

Because there's nothing useful in it. From top to bottom, it's a bunch of baseless promises, made without evidence yet utterly offended by the idea that it might be a scam, made at the cost of dividing people and turning the world into the "saved" versus the "evil," and enjoins believers to rejoice at the suffering of the evil. It enforces ingroup/outgroup thinking based on completely imaginary divides, and encourages the ingroup to turn into self-congratulatory, book quoting, cruel idiots, reveling in the fact that they know more about a book of fiction than they do about the world around them. It's the justification for the kind of suffering that's just unimaginable to the secular in terms of what motivated it.

But the worst part? The worst part is the frustrating way that it's phrased, designed from end to end to shield itself from any kind of criticism or introspection. It stops you from ever changing, or even wanting to. Religion is nothing more than stasis, by violent means if necessary.

Crikey! Yeah, this^....only spoken with way less erudition, and with an American accent. Smile
Esquilax Wrote:But the worst part? The worst part is the frustrating way that it's phrased, designed from end to end to shield itself from any kind of criticism or introspection. It stops you from ever changing, or even wanting to. Religion is nothing more than stasis, by violent means if necessary.

"Pure" faith.

The most dangerous thing humanity is capable of. It is the complete surrender of our cognitive abilities that got humanity to where it is now.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5014 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6787 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Problems with Christian Church jiffy 112 23839 August 29, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Randy Carson
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 67001 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  By all means, please take Christianity seriously Cato 13 3763 June 6, 2015 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Spooky
  What's with all the Christianity movies in 2014? atheist04330 11 1762 July 11, 2014 at 2:58 am
Last Post: atheist04330
  God healing the amputee and other world problems xr34p3rx 39 9834 January 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: xr34p3rx
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18325 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  As a christian, how did you handle the problems with the Tower of Babel? Brakeman 51 18675 November 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas