Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How important is religion in the UK?
How important is religion in the UK?
A thread mainly for the Brits but also for those comparative theologians elsewhere with knowledge &/ questions. I'll start with some facts & stats, some commentary and a couple of statements from personal experience.

Officially, the Head of State, the Monarch (currently Queen Elizabeth II), is also Head of the State Religion (The Church of England) which technically makes the UK a theocracy but the democratic set up means that the Monarch has little decision-making power and is more of an ambassadorial & ceremonial role than the 'dictatorship' often seen in other theocracies.

According the the 2011 census, 59.3% of the population identify as 'Christian', 4.8% 'Muslim', 1.5% Hindu, 0.8% Sikh, 0.5% Jewish, 0.4% Buddhist and 4% 'Other' (e.g. Pagan, Spiritualist, Jain, even Jedi). 25% identified as 'Non-religious'. ONS Census Figures

A study, conducted in 2005, found evidence that religiosity is in overall decline in the UK with roughly half of parental religiosity being transmitted to offspring. Religion: Neither Believing nor Belonging

The British Social Attitudes Survey is an annual survey, organised by the National Centre on behalf of the Economic & Social Council. It has the purpose of understanding the way UK citizens feel on a variety of subjects. The 2012 results showed that religion is on the decline and provided correlation data between religion and certain social attitudes (e.g. marriage, abortion, gender roles, pre-marital sex, openness to religious discussion). British Social Attitudes Survey 2012: Religion

It seems quite clear that religiosity is on the decline, overall, but from my experience, religion seems to be important to many in terms of cultural identity, tradition and historical context for self-awareness; far more subjectively important than the stats might suggest. Also, people's willingness to discuss religion varies by religion. I find Muslims & Hindus are often very open about their religion, integrating many aspects in to their everyday behaviour & habits whilst Christians and Pagans seem to prefer keeping their beliefs personal and often separate from many aspects of their day-to-day lives.

To me, religion is important in a familial & historic context as my mother's family were strict Irish Roman Catholics, their father (my maternal grandfather) moving them to Liverpool in the early 20thC: many of you will be aware of the context here brought about by the sectarian conflicts in Northern Ireland. My elder sister is still Roman Catholic and my younger sister a Pagan, celebrating the Green Man. Religion is also important is a similar cultural context to the majority of my friends. So even though I identify as irreligious & asuperstitionist and try to eliminate religious influences from my personal actions & attitudes, I recognise the impacts & importance of religion in the thoughts & behaviour of others because otherwise I won't understand them. That in itself makes religion very important!
Sum ergo sum
RE: How important is religion in the UK?
Hi ben

I'd agree that religiosity is both changing and declining in the UK, with more traditional forms dwindling and being replaced in part with more charismatic / evangelical modes of worship.

However the most notable difference between religion in the US and UK is the degree to which it influences politics. Perhaps it's part of our national psyche, perhaps it is because of numbers, but religion here seems to be much less in your face and much less involved in politics. Invoking religion mobilises very little popular support and antagonises more people than it impresses.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Splendid topic, Ben. I want to contribute to this thread after work as my PhD is on this very topic and themes relating to the dwindling of (certain) religious ideologies and beliefs in the UK.

For me, the OP brings up the heart of the discussion succinctly; that of nominal beliefs, or rather, the adherence to a religious sect based purely on historic values and/or social norms.

The BSA I think is great, much better than the official ONS census because it doesn't have the same air of authority or the perspective that it is 'official', hence the discrepancy between the 50% with no religious beliefs in the BSA survey to the 25% in the census.

But consider that 'no'religion/non-belief' was only 14% in 2001, and that sects like Methodism in the UK are predicted to be extinct in the next 20 years.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
@Fidel You have a Ph.D? :o

Interesting topic, I'll have to look into more.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(November 21, 2013 at 11:52 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: @Fidel You have a Ph.D? :o

Interesting topic, I'll have to look into more.

Not yet no. Still a part-time researcher (on this topic) as well as a part-time sessional lecturer too (on this topic broadly).

EDIT:

Further sources to add to the OP:

I would recommend all works by Steve Bruce, who is one of the foremost academics analysing the decline of traditional Religious beliefs in the UK and, recently, the increase in the so-called 'spiritualisation' of the public sphere and psyche and the growth in secularisation:

http://www.iasc-culture.org/THR/archives...EBruce.pdf

(Google Scholar search):

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=e...C5&as_sdtp=

Apologies, cannot post an indepth bibliography as I'm at work, but the scholar search above will bring to the fore some great reads, including 'God is Dead: Secularisation in the West' and (my personal interest) the utilisation of Rational Choice Theory in the analysis of the decline of religious beliefs through the growth of secularism (or rather its acceptance).
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
To all intents and purposes religion is dead in Britain.
It has effectively vanished from the streets over the past 30 years.
The only place I hear it discussed now is at work (I work in a mental health centre and the service users have a marked tendency to church-going) When I was a kid there were things like 'Songs of Praise' on the TV, that has long gone, indeed no religious programme seems able to run for a complete season before being pulled from the schedules now.
The concept of needing religion to define myself, whether culturally or in any other context seems rather alien.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(November 23, 2013 at 11:18 am)Mr Greene Wrote: To all intents and purposes religion is dead in Britain.
The only place I hear it discussed now is at work (I work in a mental health centre and the service users have a marked tendency to church-going) When I was a kid there were things like 'Songs of Praise' on the TV, that has long gone, indeed no religious programme seems able to run for a complete season before being pulled from the schedules now.
The concept of needing religion to define myself, whether culturally or in any other context seems rather alien.

I saw five seconds of songs of praise last week because the remote control was out of reach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ttc5

I think there is an obligation for the BBC to provide a certain amount of religious broadcasting no matter the viewing figures.

Although it looks like they have reduced it somewhat.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/0...broadcasts

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(November 23, 2013 at 11:18 am)Mr Greene Wrote: To all intents and purposes religion is dead in Britain.

I saw five seconds of songs of praise last week because the remote control was out of reach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ttc5

I think there is an obligation for the BBC to provide a certain amount of religious broadcasting no matter the viewing figures.

Although it looks like they have reduced it somewhat.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/0...broadcasts

Atheist will never know true love
Thread bombs Sad

I'll remember to add the nudity next time.
Sum ergo sum
Re: How important is religion in the UK?
I don't feel religion is at all important in the UK in anything other than a historical context. There are plenty of followers of various religions about, but very few who think it's an important aspect of their lives. I don't personally know anyone who goes to Church, for example, but I know many Christians. A lot only even identify as "Christian" because of their upbringing, most people don't even bother to consider whether or not they really believe in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Important theological question for creationists Alex K 2 737 November 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11727 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5267 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Silver 5 2097 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20888 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56370 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  The most important reason anyone is an atheist Lemonvariable72 496 210287 December 4, 2013 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5500 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Important questions... Craveman 11 4686 August 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Craveman