Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage
Gay marriage
Hi, is first post. Apologies in advance for my inadequacies with the English language.

Bored and can't sleep, I was wondering what people opinions were on gay marriage. I'll go first, to encourage discourse....... disagree please, and if my opinion makes you angry don't just shout at your screen. TYPE IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS Big Grin

I was of the opinion that it the argument (at it's core) is merely different interpretations of what "God" wanted, that aside, if civil partnerships have the same rights as a married couples should atheists even care about then infighting of theists?

If we are to take sides, firstly by granting the premise of their "God", could we not challenge the homophobia prevalent within Christianity. Encourage an interpretation that was more tolerant to be taught, we seem to be stuck with religion........ why not warp it in something that's more inclusive than exclusive?

I suppose I want the Church to exclude lots of people on such grounds, gives ammunition for shyte throwing matches if nothing else.
RE: Gay marriage
I am confused.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's a status/benefits issue. Assuming one lives in an area where civil unions posses the same legal status of traditional marriage (many don't; I lived in a state where it was the same, now gay marriage is legal), then the reason for getting married is to appear the same as traditional couples. If traditional couples suddenly opted for civil unions, you would see the gay marriage debate wither away.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
It's none of my business and I don't give a rat's ass about any fucking god.
I support it. I belong to a religion that supports it.
There are people who have such a hard-on for discriminating against the gays that they actually believe that a re-definition of marriage would, in even the slightest possible sense, have the slightest possible effect on them, their lives or their ability to marry whomever is willing to marry them.
I'm not as concerned about marriage itself, but I don't want gay people to have to miss out on all the legal rights that go along with marriage. Personally, I'd rather the state consider all marriages civil unions as an effort to seperate church and state; then we just legalize same sex civil unions so the fundies don't have to worry about gays getting married (even though I'm sure gay friendly churches will still hold weddings for them).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I don't like the idea of the institution of marriage. But, I feel like heterosexual marriage will not go away. So, that said, gays must be afforded that same right. And it should not be a state issue, but federal.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
If this country wants to live up its ideals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than there is no basis for denying citizens of this country equal marriage rights regardless of whether they are a heterosexual couple or a homosexual couple.

I think a marriage equality bill might be showing up on Oregon's 2014 ballot. Here's to hoping Oregon is the 17th state to vote in marriage equality!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(December 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm)Ryantology Wrote: There are people who have such a hard-on for discriminating against the gays that they actually believe that a re-definition of marriage would, in even the slightest possible sense, have the slightest possible effect on them, their lives or their ability to marry whomever is willing to marry them.

Such people are called: Stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1086 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 496 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1489 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1511 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 15448 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Your views on MARRIAGE Catholic_Lady 213 34218 July 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  GOP to unveil bill to stop affirmation of same-sex marriage Foxaèr 10 3161 April 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Supreme Court to decide on marriage equality Ryantology 21 3643 January 17, 2015 at 1:38 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Voter ID laws and Marriage Heywood 33 5797 November 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Secular reasons for and againt same sex marriage Dolorian 26 6087 September 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus