Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would my beliefs on god be considered?
What would my beliefs on god be considered?
I do not believe in a personal god such as the god of christians, Muslims, Jews, etc..

But I am agnostic to the idea of a creator. I do not think it is possible at this moment to have any idea whether there was a type of creator in the beginning.

So would I just be an atheist to personal gods and agnostic to a creator? Lol. Is there a simpler term? Or is this just simply atheism?
RE: What would my beliefs on god be considered?
Well, it sounds like you're an agnostic atheist, as are most of us on the forum.
Actually you sound like a deist.
I figured I would just be considered an agnostic atheist. But I am not a deist. Deists definitely believe in a creator, right? I'm just saying that there is no way to know.
Stop thinking about "knowing" and start thinking about probabilities.
(December 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Stop thinking about "knowing" and start thinking about probabilities.

How could we possibly make probabilities with something like that?

(I'm kinda new to the arguments btw. I'm just trying to understand all of views)
What fraction of one percent should be applicable to an all-powerful sky-daddy who suddenly decided to "create" everything one boring Tuesday afternoon?

Seriously. Think about it.
(December 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What fraction of one percent should be applicable to an all-powerful sky-daddy who suddenly decided to "create" everything one boring Tuesday afternoon?

Well that's true. I'm just saying it seems almost impossible to talk about probabilities when we know so little about the beginning. We definitely know enough (in my opinion) about the universe to rule out the possibility of a personal god. But it seems harder to say that about a first cause "type" of god. But that all depends on how you define god. Do you see where I'm coming from? Or am I just being unreasonable? Lol
(December 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm)taylor93112 Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What fraction of one percent should be applicable to an all-powerful sky-daddy who suddenly decided to "create" everything one boring Tuesday afternoon?

Well that's true. I'm just saying it seems almost impossible to talk about probabilities when we know so little about the beginning. We definitely know enough (in my opinion) about the universe to rule out the possibility of a personal god. But it seems harder to say that about a first cause "type" of god. But that all depends on how you define god. Do you see where I'm coming from? Or am I just being unreasonable? Lol

Uhm.... Well yea but if you grant the possibility of any type of god you kind of have to grant the possibility of any type of object or matter or energy that started everything. So your possibility of a "god" is equal to the possibility of almost anything else, yes?

And if you can't define your idea of a god, how can you believe in something when you don't know what it is?
That's true. I see where you are coming from. But if "the possibility of 'god' is equal to almost anything else" like you said, wouldn't being agnostic about it be the most intellectually honest position?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4068 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10507 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15683 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7053 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6530 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16459 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I would believe in God if... Won2blv 65 7978 April 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5128 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What would you consider to be evidence for God? Psychonaut 591 117862 December 29, 2016 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Astreja