Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Should Someone Be an Atheist?
Why Should Someone Be an Atheist?
Why should someone be an atheist?
RE: Why Should Someone Be an Atheist?
Not sure where you're getting that should. An atheist isn't really anything in particular to be. I'm simply not a theist. Life goes on, believe it or not.
Because there isn't sufficient evidence to believe in any religious claims.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
What's insufficient about the Bible for example?
(December 23, 2013 at 3:24 am)savedwheat Wrote: What's insufficient about the Bible for example?

Well, the bible is the claim itself, it's not evidence at all. Aside from the numerous things it gets wrong- about the formation of the earth, the development of life, and even simple things about rabbits and cud- we can't just start taking things that are written in a book as evidence for those very same things, that's a circular argument.

The bible is no more proof of christianity than the Hobbit is for Middle Earth.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Is the Bible just making a claim or is it using testimony, both oral and written?
(December 23, 2013 at 3:31 am)savedwheat Wrote: Is the Bible just making a claim or is it using testimony, both oral and written?

Oral and written testimony are two of the most common ways that people make claims.

Besides, would you take any other claims of magic true, if they were written by anonymous authors with no corroboratory testimonies outside of those claims, without the level of popularity christianity enjoys? Because, I mean, all those old legends of Zeus are also anonymously written by ancient peoples that claim to be true. Is that enough for you to believe in Zeus?

(December 23, 2013 at 3:24 am)savedwheat Wrote: What's insufficient about the Bible for example?

Erm, everything?

You're born an atheist and indoctrinated into a religion. Christianity is just one of those, and it's usually entirely dependent on both demography and geography what religion you end up following, nothing more.

Luckily, my parents didn't chose to ram a religion down my throat when I was young and instead chose to teach me how to think (my dad is mildly religious, my mom is an atheist).

As a result i've never been religious, and never formed any concept of belief in a deity, whatever that is.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Is Galatians 1 anonymous? It says right at the start "This letter is from Paul, an apostle. I was not appointed by any group of people or any human authority, but by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead" (v.1).
(December 23, 2013 at 3:39 am)savedwheat Wrote: Is Galatians 1 anonymous? It says right at the start "This letter is from Paul, an apostle. I was not appointed by any group of people or any human authority, but by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead" (v.1).

Prove it was written by Paul, or that Paul was even a person.

Can you do that?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1432 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4749 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13530 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1751 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2713 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9062 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 32712 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92732 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9521 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3320 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho