Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask A Blind Girl!
Ask A Blind Girl!
Before any stupid question are asked

Now then, I will try answer all questions to the fullest extent of my knowledge
RE: Ask A Blind Girl!

I don't have any questions right off. I think you're amazing. I've seen some visually impaired people using computers at a campus disability office, but that you are able to use them so well just astounds me. On the other hand, I lost nine fingers about 6 years ago, and I'm sure some of the things I do amaze other people. Some things I can do now, I never imagined myself being able to do right after I lost my fingers. I'm also disabled by mental illness, and that's a whole other kettle of fish, but my struggles and strengths on that score are largely invisible to other people. People see the outside behaviors, and because they don't understand it, they call me a freak for my illness, and mock me for it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this about me. I'm glad you're here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 29, 2013 at 10:03 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

I don't have any questions right off. I think you're amazing. I've seen some visually impaired people using computers at a campus disability office, but that you are able to use them so well just astounds me. On the other hand, I lost nine fingers about 6 years ago, and I'm sure some of the things I do amaze other people. Some things I can do now, I never imagined myself being able to do right after I lost my fingers. I'm also disabled by mental illness, and that's a whole other kettle of fish, but my struggles and strengths on that score are largely invisible to other people. People see the outside behaviors, and because they don't understand it, they call me a freak for my illness, and mock me for it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this about me. I'm glad you're here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Nice to meet you too and don't worry we're all freaks here
Well welcome aboard. May I ask how much vision, if any, you do have and if you were born blind or lost your sight later. I don't mean to be idly nosy but was just trying to better understand your situation.
I was kind of curious about that as well. I know throughout the blind community, there are differing amounts of sight, as well as different qualities of sight.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(December 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm)whateverist Wrote: Well welcome aboard. May I ask how much vision, if any, you do have and if you were born blind or lost your sight later. I don't mean to be idly nosy but was just trying to better understand your situation.

I have hydrocephalus, it's a neurological condition. In excess of spinal fluid that built up on the brain, it crashed on my optic nerves blinding me. I still have some light perception, meaning I can tell day from night, and at nighttime I can tell somebodies turned the lights on in the house. I can sense motion rather than see it. But for all intents and purposes I'm completely blind.
This is assuming you're using a braille computer, but, how does a braille computer work?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm)TaraJo Wrote: This is assuming you're using a braille computer, but, how does a braille computer work?

Those went out of date in like the 80s, most of us use a combination of on screen readers and voice activated software. I posted a video a little while ago about how I use my iPad.
I do wonder how accessible things generally are for you.

For example, is it easy to handle cash? When you shop how do you know how much things cost before you go to the cashier?

And also do you care if your significant other is visually attractive? I ask because I read this story where this blind guy says his friends would give him a special signal if the girl he was talking to was hot. And I thought that was interesting, that he cared if she was hot when he wouldn't really be affected if she wasn't. Or maybe he was referring to her body.
(December 29, 2013 at 10:36 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(December 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm)TaraJo Wrote: This is assuming you're using a braille computer, but, how does a braille computer work?

Those went out of date in like the 80s, most of us use a combination of on screen readers and voice activated software. I posted a video a little while ago about how I use my iPad.

Interesting. Using a computer has always seemed like a highly visual activity, but I know blind people can do it, too. I've just always kinda wondered how.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fancy Drink Girl? particleman 10 1593 July 17, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I asked a girl out.... Mystic 51 4326 March 30, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which one would you rather be: Deaf or Blind? Omnicidal 41 5001 January 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  [Update 2] of (So, I complimented this girl today...) Somecoolguy 10 2167 September 7, 2017 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  [Update 1] of (So, I complimented this girl today...) Somecoolguy 44 10617 September 3, 2017 at 9:04 am
  So, I complimented this girl today... Somecoolguy 112 23854 September 2, 2017 at 3:43 pm
  Should I Tell Them I'm Blind? Rhondazvous 6 1035 January 24, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Post your dream girl Macoleco 119 18745 October 28, 2016 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Athene
  Dinner for a Francophile girl mcolafson 10 2259 September 26, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ask a turtely turtle/Ask Evie Edwardo Piet 5 1708 December 19, 2015 at 2:55 pm