Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 11:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pastor "tries on" atheism for a year, is promptly fired by his Christian employers.
Pastor "tries on" atheism for a year, is promptly fired by his Christian employers.
Caaan't have anyone questioning them dogmas, folks!

It's just... seriously? Nothing in his ability to do his job had changed, the only difference is that the guy dared to question his beliefs in a public way. There's a lot of subtext here, about how christians handle genuine investigation of the underpinnings of their faith. And the picture it paints, as usual, isn't pretty.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Pastor "tries on" atheism for a year, is promptly fired by his Christian employers.
If you think of religion as an organism, it has to purge all dissenting voices to survive. Which is why blasphemy is the unforgivable sin even though it is a victimless crime. It could've been rape or murder, but no, they picked blasphemy. They have to, for an idea or a belief to survive it has to squash out all opposing voices.

On the bright side, his journey is now more authentic, he wouldn't have been able to keep his job if he were an atheist.
RE: Pastor "tries on" atheism for a year, is promptly fired by his Christian employers.
Whatever the result of his investigation, whether he remains a Christian or not, he will never forget the dose of Christian intolerance he experienced. Perhaps he will realize that he is just as capable to ministering to the elderly, the sick, the widow, and the orphan as ever without the need to publicly espouse ridiculous beliefs with a straight face. And if he remains a Christian, he will have a take on compassion and forgiveness that most of his co-religionists will never understand.
RE: Pastor "tries on" atheism for a year, is promptly fired by his Christian...
(January 6, 2014 at 11:43 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: If you think of religion as an organism, it has to purge all dissenting voices to survive. Which is why blasphemy is the unforgivable sin even though it is a victimless crime. It could've been rape or murder, but no, they picked blasphemy. They have to, for an idea or a belief to survive it has to squash out all opposing voices.

On the bright side, his journey is now more authentic, he wouldn't have been able to keep his job if he were an atheist.

I'd like to take a minute to explain why that is not the case. Angry

Like to, but I can't. Undecided
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Quote:Bell decided to run an experiment where he would live like an atheist for a year

I'd love to know what that means. Actually he sounds like a twit.
(January 6, 2014 at 11:52 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Bell decided to run an experiment where he would live like an atheist for a year

I'd love to know what that means. Actually he sounds like a twit.

It means he's going to forgo religious practices for a year, and also perform the level of investigation as to whether or not his beliefs are true that he should have done before he adopted them in the first place.

So yes, he's a twit, but at least he's on the path to potentially recognizing that.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 6, 2014 at 11:35 am)Esquilax Wrote: Caaan't have anyone questioning them dogmas, folks!

It's just... seriously? Nothing in his ability to do his job had changed, the only difference is that the guy dared to question his beliefs in a public way. There's a lot of subtext here, about how christians handle genuine investigation of the underpinnings of their faith. And the picture it paints, as usual, isn't pretty.

they fired the guy for not doing the job he was hired to do. Being a pastor is not a research or a philosphy based job. it involves dealing with people, and giving them direction based on scriptural direction. If one tries to be an atheist for a year then he is no longer able to do his job as a pastor.

This douche wanted to be paid to do nothing. Glad to see the church woke up and fired this clown.
(January 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm)Drich Wrote: they fired the guy for not doing the job he was hired to do. Being a pastor is not a research or a philosphy based job. it involves dealing with people, and giving them direction based on scriptural direction. If one tries to be an atheist for a year then he is no longer able to do his job as a pastor.

This douche wanted to be paid to do nothing. Glad to see the church woke up and fired this clown.

Aww, someone didn't read the link before he decided to disagree with it! How typical of you! Big Grin

Here, let me help:

Quote:Last week, I posted about Ryan J. Bell, an adjunct professor at Azusa Pacific University and Fuller Theological Seminary and a former pastor of a Seventh-day Adventist church. Bell decided to run an experiment where he would live like an atheist for a year while documenting his journey:

How embarrassing for you.

[Image: im.jpg]
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Drich has never exactly been the sharpest one here.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cult leader encouraging his followers to starve to death. Rev. Rye 2 474 April 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1345 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow (He/Him/His) No penis, identifies as a male Nihilist Virus 25 1984 April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89658 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Ex pastor explains how Christianity is fake Fake Messiah 71 7779 May 19, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 15288 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A prediction for the new year zebo-the-fat 14 1594 December 20, 2018 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2186 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The 100-year anniversay of Fatima is coming-up! Jehanne 21 4984 October 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Another Fucking Piece of Shit "Pastor" Minimalist 37 8953 September 29, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Atheist73