Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children and punishments
Children and punishments
What are your ideas on disciplinary methods and child rearing?

Washing a mouth with soap?

Spanking?

Standing in the corner?

The time out chair?

Going to bed without supper?

Paying for broken items?
RE: Children and punishments
A few nights in prison do the trick.
I would basically avoid doing anything that is physically hurtful to them, and instead instruct them in a manner depending on the severity of their actions.

Edit: As for punishments, again, that depends.
"If you don't knock off that shit, I'm sending you all to church -- both services!"

Worked every time.
(January 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: "If you don't knock off that shit, I'm sending you all to church -- both services!"

Worked every time.

I was always threatened with church.
My son (4 years old) get's "The Voice" and it always works. I don't need to spank him. He's scared shitless when he hears the loud bass, and sees the look in my eye. I do like the corner for additional punishments. 3 minutes in the corner seems like an eternity to a 4 year old. I don't send him to his room, he has too many fun things to do in there.
My mom made me sleep in the guest room, because all the toys and books were in my room. Or I was banned from trips to the library. My brother was hit but not often, the only two incidents that stick out are when he crashed the car for the 3rd time and when mom caught with a naked girl.that was really funny she chased them both out with a broom while they were getting dressed.
I don't have children, but I watched my parents raise seven of us. Neither Da nor Mum ever raised a hand to us, and Da never raised his voice (Mum had a shout that would rattle your brains). They had other ways of correcting behavior they found unacceptable: extra chores, loss of privs, and so on.

I once overheard one of Da's business associates telling him that he (the associate) saw nothing wrong in spanking kids. He said something like, 'I was given a good dose of the strap when I needed it and it never did me any harm.'

Da told him, 'Of COURSE it did you harm, ya eedjit. It taught you that it's ok to hit children.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Washing a mouth with soap?

My friend's mom actually did this to her brother once.

... My friend's brother, not the mother's brother. Just to be clear.

I was spanked as a kid to the point where when we were told to go get The Spoon I'd immediately start sobbing. My parents both still think this is a hilarious story to tell people. Even my sister thinks it's funny. I think it's fucked up; "Let's laugh at that time we psychologically tortured our daughters, hurray!"

As for methods of disciplining kids, I have no input as I have no kids and no desire to have them in the future. I have cats. And my cats are well behaved. Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
It depends on the kid...
I have one that requires punishment... he is currently forbidden from playing computer on weekdays... and has a 3 weekend punishment on top of that.

Today, I got to slap him a bit, because he didn't tell me he had to study for a test he has tomorrow. Instead he was happily playing party&co. with me and the other brothers.... actually, he's the one that got the game from the shelf and set it up.
Mum knew about it, but was out when I arrived.
When she came home, she told me about that studying the kid had to do... I slapped him. Not on the cheek, nor anywhere visible... a sliding slap over the head... ok, it was more like 3 or 4 of those, enough to hurt a bit, but damage nothing, except a few hairs.
Damn kid! His grades are crap and he has the nerve to spend an hour playing a board game when he should be studying!
I almost kicked him, too... on the bum, but heck... ARGH, damn stupid kid!
Can't prioritize properly... takes after his mother... -.-'

There...
Usually, a well placed yell does the trick, but this out right deception made me snap.

Oh well, no tv for him for a long while...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 894 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Why do Children not Have Human Rights? Koolay 58 13206 September 23, 2013 at 9:42 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Is it wrong to care about children? soman-rush 9 5569 August 9, 2013 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Kayenneh