Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God: No magic required
God: No magic required
Certitude is poison.

Human consciousness is simply organized bioelectrical energy, contained in a mass of mush the size of a loaf of bread. The universe is mostly dark energy and dark matter. String theory posits 11 dimensions, of which we can perceive only 4. Our own universe may be simply one in a trillion (or infinite) number of universes in the multiverse. Other universes may have different physical laws, with different physical constants, not allowing the formation of matter, but allowing for the formation of exotic forms of energy.

If the bioelectric energy of the human brain can organize itself into consciousness, then how can we be certain that the dark energy of our universe and/or the exotic energy of other universes cannot do so, also? Imagine the power of the energy (dark or otherwise) of an entire universe, organized into sentience. It's staggering.

Why think in this way? Good peer review medical research shows that spiritual and religious people are happier and actually live longer than atheists -- an average of two years longer, which would be the population effect of curing all forms of cancer.

How could prayer work, assuming, just for sake of argument, that a universal sentience (let's call it "God") really does exist? Pretty simple; you've seen the MRI images of the human brain, when it is thinking different types of thoughts. One day, I'm sure that we'll have a machine which can translate MRI (and externally monitored EEG and who knows what other sorts of imaging) signals into language. A sentient dark energy, permeating every atom of the universe, would have no trouble doing far more.

Does "God" answer prayers? The evidence is, of course, inconclusive. God may not grant world peace or even cure medical illnesses (much less help Olympic athletes win medals), but virtually every believer has enough personal evidence to convince said believer that "God" helps in the areas of personal courage, comfort, resilience, conviction, morality, and so on.

Religion, like a 9 mm semi-automatic firearm or an SUV or even an iPad can certainly be misused. But a "good" religion, properly "applied" is an unambiguous blessing to those so blessed. This need have nothing at all to do with the Bible, heaven, hell, Satan, Mary, Muhammed, or Jesus. Religion basically comes down to rejecting smug certitude in favor of personal curiosity and finding, for oneself, whether it's possible to believe in God and to find a way to communicate with God, which is meaningful to the individual in question.

- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach CA
RE: God: No magic required
Quote:If the bioelectric energy of the human brain can organize itself into consciousness, then how can we be certain that the dark energy of our universe and/or the exotic energy of other universes cannot do so, also?

Evidence that it has?
U cant just post this crap? (Good peer review medical research shows that spiritual and religious people are happier and actually live longer than atheists -- an average of two years longer, which would be the population effect of curing all forms of cancer.) Like Minimalist said evidence?? Where did I find that published paper?

Specially that part about atheist!!!
(January 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm)lweisenthal Wrote: Good peer review medical research shows that spiritual and religious people are happier

Ignorance is bliss?
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(January 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm)lweisenthal Wrote: Why think in this way? Good peer review medical research shows that spiritual and religious people are happier and actually live longer than atheists

Citation needed.

Quote:The evidence is, of course, inconclusive.

I beg to differ. It's quite conclusive. Prayer has no effect whatsoever. Flipping a coin is actually simpler and gives you precisely the same outcome, either you get what you pray for, or you don't.

Quote:but virtually every believer has enough personal evidence to convince said believer that "God" helps in the areas of personal courage, comfort, resilience, conviction, morality, and so on.

Oh wow, really? Deluded people thinking that their god is listening and that they can draw some power from it? This is news to me!

Quote: But a "good" religion, properly "applied" is an unambiguous blessing to those so blessed. This need have nothing at all to do with the Bible, heaven, hell, Satan, Mary, Muhammed, or Jesus.

So I guess you consider yourself to be a True BelieverTM. Take a number, there's a line.

Quote:Religion basically comes down to rejecting smug certitude in favor of personal curiosity and finding, for oneself, whether it's possible to believe in God and to find a way to communicate with God, which is meaningful to the individual in question.

As always, people are free to believe in whatever horsehockey they want, just don't go thinking that having extreme delusions are a sign of a curious mind.

Quote:- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach CA

I suggest you read up on personal security on the internet..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Personal promotion? Advertising? Easily googled
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
My paper shredder doesnt shred as much as ur thread is gonna!!
(January 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm)lweisenthal Wrote: Religion basically comes down to rejecting smug certitude in favor of personal curiosity...

Well, then, I guess 99% of all religious people are doing it wrong.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm)lweisenthal Wrote: Good peer review medical research shows that spiritual and religious people are happier and actually live longer than atheists -- an average of two years longer, which would be the population effect of curing all forms of cancer.

Hardly "good" peer review.

The only thing that is clear about this statement is your own bias. Yes, in some countries, atheists live statistically shorter lives, but in MANY countries religious people live significantly shorter lives.

Nigel Barber, Ph.D. Wrote:Much of the relevant research was conducted in the U.S. where larger advantages in longevity were reported for religious people in some studies, but little, or no, advantage was found in others.

Countries with very low life expectancy are mostly very religious. The nations of sub-Saharan Africa are a good example. There plagues of malaria, parasites, dengue fever, cholera, diarrheal diseases, HIV/AIDS, etc., lop decades off life expectancy that is below 60 years for most of these countries. The presence of many serious chronic illnesses, and the expectation of an early death, predicts universal belief in God and the importance of religion (1).

Link

I'd say your half-truths have certainly garnered you far less credibility on this site.
[Image: Evolution.png]

From the very beginning, it's self-refuting and get's worse. Are you certain that "certitude is a poison"? If not, why not? If so, nice contradiction.

Better things to do than go through the rest of that nonsense. I'm already dealing with Drich's, I can't handle 2 crazies from amongst theists in one day.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1734 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Magic: The Gathering KevinM1 12 4327 July 21, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: abaris
  Does God only work through Magic? Drich 89 12084 June 24, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12239 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Is black (or white) magic real? Darkstar 18 7913 December 31, 2012 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Mark 13:13
  Creationism = Pure Freaking Magic Gooders1002 35 15251 May 30, 2012 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Navy atheist required to pray, say “Amen”, and feign hatred of atheists reverendjeremiah 19 8520 February 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6668 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad