Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Christians/Muslims etc.
Question for Christians/Muslims etc.
This stems from an old conversation with CoxRox (a former member, sadly missed) who eluded to the fact that whilst she believed in God she didn't expect an afterlife.

So.. The question is this.

If it were somehow proved to you beyond all doubt that when you died you simply ceased to exist with no hope of resurrection, ever, but the rest of your beliefs were correct, would you still bother doing all those things you do now, i.e. worship, study the bible/Qu'ran, go to church, glorify the lord etc. etc.?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Question for Christians/Muslims etc.
(December 2, 2009 at 6:28 am)Darwinian Wrote: So.. The question is this.

If it were somehow proved to you beyond all doubt that when you died you simply ceased to exist with no hope of resurrection, ever, but the rest of your beliefs were correct, would you still bother doing all those things you do now, i.e. worship, study the bible/Qu'ran, go to church, glorify the lord etc. etc.?

I do not think it possible for the resurrection to be wrong but the rest of my beliefs correct. They all go together as a unit. If the resurrection fails, it all does. See 1 Corinthians 15:13-19, particularly verse 19.

So I would answer your question....NO.
(December 2, 2009 at 6:28 am)Darwinian Wrote: So.. The question is this.

So to answer your question - no

I believe that people should - do unto others and they would do onto you.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
Yes.

The afterlife means jack to me. It's merely a means of illustrating the nature of the soul. It's what happens here that matters.. and my beliefs make this better.. which is why I hold them.
Yes I would. If you proved that nothing happens when you die except ceasing I would still have morals and ethics, need for community, history, belief in other dimensions, science. I would still live in the now and feel the need to care for and nurture others. I would still want to make the world better, if not as intensely moreso.
(December 3, 2009 at 2:36 am)tackattack Wrote: Yes I would. If you proved that nothing happens when you die except ceasing I would still have morals and ethics, need for community, history, belief in other dimensions, science. I would still live in the now and feel the need to care for and nurture others. I would still want to make the world better, if not as intensely moreso.

How about if the entire religion (and the gods and beliefs associated) were disproved (to the point you accepted it)...?

Would you maintain the same morals and desire to make the world better?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It mostly likely depends on the Christian. For some it will, for some it won't.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(December 2, 2009 at 6:28 am)Darwinian Wrote: This stems from an old conversation with CoxRox (a former member, sadly missed) who eluded to the fact that whilst she believed in God she didn't expect an afterlife.

So.. The question is this.

The simple answer to your question is yes because God is worthy of glory regardless of whether or not He has created us as beings that have eternal souls. God is still an infinite, just, and holy God and it is in His love and grace that He gives us eternal life.

We do not go to church to earn God's favor because God in being infinite can not be appeased and is not impressed with anything that I as a finite man can do. Church is a place of fellowship and to come and express worship to God. And the reason we strive, and are not perfect, to live righteous lives is because God tells us to be holy as He is holy.

Christ came and personally did for each of us. That is why we try not to do the very things for which he died to set us free of.
I'm not sure what it is with Christians. Maybe because they are so fired up to defend their position to atheists or so full of the holy spirit but they always seem to forget the niceties and to introduce themselves in the introduction thread as they were asked to do when they signed up.

We're a friendly lot here and we like people to say hello before they start debating. Small point perhaps but one worth noting.

Anyway, thanks for your response to my question. You say that Christ set us free. My question would be, free from what? Surely whatever situation that we find ourselves in that requires a character like Jesus was created by God in the first place.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm)Chilpotlenathan Wrote: The simple answer to your question is yes because God is worthy of glory regardless of whether or not He has created us as beings that have eternal souls. God is still an infinite, just, and holy God and it is in His love and grace that He gives us eternal life.

We do not go to church to earn God's favor because God in being infinite can not be appeased and is not impressed with anything that I as a finite man can do. Church is a place of fellowship and to come and express worship to God. And the reason we strive, and are not perfect, to live righteous lives is because God tells us to be holy as He is holy.

Christ came and personally did for each of us. That is why we try not to do the very things for which he died to set us free of.
Sounds like Islam to me, total submission. So whatever the consequences be and however you are lied to you stick to dogma and refuse to ever test it. Scary to the bone.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2286 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7773 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3323 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 6972 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Foxaèr 30 6334 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dear Xristards Don't Pick On Muslims Minimalist 20 2542 July 24, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2759 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  A Loaded Question for Christians chimp3 33 4905 December 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question to Christians purplepurpose 72 8557 July 7, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31177 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy