Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist?
Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist?
So, my boyfriend was hanging out with an old school friend of his the other day. She was planning her wedding and had a few of her other friends over. He was planning on helping by teaching her to sew and he's planning on helping with photography (my man is an art geek).

Here's the strange thing, though; at least to him. The friends she brought over were two girls and a guy and the guy was pretty gay. They were totally cool with the guy being gay. Lee (my bf) talked about being trans and they were totally cool with that, too. They even had a playful thing where the two of them grabbed at each others breasts.

But then, talk turned a bit towards religious beliefs. Lee isn't sure what he calls himself and he stated that he isn't sure he believes in god anymore. That was what upset them. They started telling him about how god is the only thing keeping them from killing and robbing people and they can't imagine not living life for god and how can you not see the beauty of god in the world and all that garbage. Then they dug into his friend, too, who isn't an atheist, but got the same treatment for being pagan.

Is it just me, or is it a little strange that being gay/trans seems to be more acceptable than being an atheist?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist?
In some ways, yes, but also, no. It's been shown that atheists are the least trusted group in America, but you don't really hear about people being murdered (or executed by a nation's government) for being an atheist. I think misconceptions about being gay are less common than misconceptions about atheism, but transgenderism is another story. Most people don't quite grasp the concept yet that your gender identity has more to do with what your brain looks like than what your body looks like.
The gay community has done a great marketing job the last couple of decades. People are starting to realize that being LGBT isn't a choice, that people are born that way, and that they aren't hurting anyone else by being that way.

On the other hand, atheism is a choice, and a lot of religious people (mostly Christians) think that moral behavior has to come from religion, so anyone who rejects it is a felon waiting to happen.

So we need a good marketing push like the LGBT community has had. We need to not only "come out" as atheist more, but also be out there demonstrating that we participate in charity events, etc without needing any gods to force us into those good and moral behaviors.
(February 28, 2014 at 2:45 am)Fromper Wrote: The gay community has done a great marketing job the last couple of decades. People are starting to realize that being LGBT isn't a choice, that people are born that way, and that they aren't hurting anyone else by being that way.

On the other hand, atheism is a choice, and a lot of religious people (mostly Christians) think that moral behavior has to come from religion, so anyone who rejects it is a felon waiting to happen.

So we need a good marketing push like the LGBT community has had. We need to not only "come out" as atheist more, but also be out there demonstrating that we participate in charity events, etc without needing any gods to force us into those good and moral behaviors.

I don't think it was entirely marketing. I think a lot of the haters changed their minds when they started having gay kids.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I have to say its mainly an American thing.

Over here in Europe atheism is acceptable - possibly more acceptable than belief these days.

Consider 2 leaders - both Born Again Christians.

George Bush made it a huge part of his campaign. He'd talk about asking his heavenly father for advice and input when making key decisions. This made him electable it seems.

Tony Blair, on the other hand, made every effort to conceal his faith during his tenure - never making any reference to it as his guiding principle. It was only after he ceased to be prime minister that he felt free enough to talk about his faith.

Had GB been an openly atheist he would have had zero chance of being elected.
Had TB been more forthcoming about his faith he too would have had zero chance of being elected.

GB talked about his meetings with TB proudly announcing that they had prayed together. TB played it down and would never have mentioned it had he been given the chance.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Well not to poke at anything with a stick but yeah the L and G in QUILTBAG is doing just fine, as for the rest of the alphabet I won't comment. With both the rest of the acronym and atheism people have such a problem because there isn't a way to box us in. People like to organize others anyway they can and when can't they become resentful. Then they lash out.
Barney Frank came out as a gay man back in 1987. He only came out as an atheist last year after he retired from congress.
(February 28, 2014 at 2:51 am)TaraJo Wrote: I don't think it was entirely marketing. I think a lot of the haters changed their minds when they started having gay kids.
But again, in past generations, the kids would have hid their identities, possibly even getting married to keep up the appearance of being straight. In modern times, as things have become more open, those kids are less afraid to tell their parents, and the parents are forced to confront this truth. So that's partially a result of the marketing I was talking about.
I've heard reports from gay atheists that they were more worried about coming out as atheist than as gay.

We're almost immune from persecution, but since the reason that's true is because it is SO easy to be invisible, it's kind of insidious. In the USA, if we don't bring it up, everyone will assume we're Christians, and we don't have to rearrange our sex lives for the purpose of concealing this fact. I've never knowingly had sex with another atheist, for instance, unless the Buddhists were the atheistic kind. It's mostly been Christians, at least nominal ones.

Nowadays, it's hard for anyone who knows me well outside of work to be unaware that I'm an atheist. I could probably put stuff on my car indicating my atheism and be okay...but possibly my car could be vandalized, it's happened to friends of mine. That's in the capital city though. Go thirty miles outside the Metropolitan area in any direction readily identifiable as an atheist and you could be in for some serious trouble. I wouldn't do it unless I was armed or prepared to be a martyr. I don't think I would be murdered, but hospitalized is a distinct possibility.

Even in Columbia, I wouldn't put a sign on my house that said 'home of a proud atheist' without expecting at least a rock through a window. To be fair, I think a gay man would have similar problems putting up a 'home of a proud gay man' sign.
Re: Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist?
I don't necessarily think that it's odd, more like inevitable. Atheists aren't really accosted for their beliefs, at least I have never experienced anything more than looks of derision or the odd comment. And nothing about me speaks to atheism. You wouldn't know unless you ask.

QUILTBAG individuals, in order to be themselves, have to live in such a way that people can sometimes tell. Whether it is holding their partner's hand, dating, getting married---whatever, people know and react. At some point, society, in its unstoppable move towards progress, got fed up with discrimination. It became a civil rights issue that people cared about.

Also, I would take issue with boiling down atheism to a 'choice.' I seriously couldn't wake up tomorrow and choose to believe in God. No way. Whether or not that is a function of the way my brain works or just the things I know, I don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4031 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3251 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1036 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35365 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1576 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Coronavirus is no more, Kenneth Copeland has saved us Seek3r 3 734 July 22, 2020 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32294 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6157 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6821 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46241 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod