Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Group Forces Grieving Mother To Remove Roadside Cross
Atheist Group Forces Grieving Mother To Remove Roadside Cross
I originally typed nearly a six paragraph essay on how much of a cunt this guy is and how the jesus freaks in comments are simpletons, but I'll let everyone form their own opinions. I was left distraught by the video and needed a place to vent my hatred for this because he generalized every single atheist. You can't possibly tell me that Hemant Mehta is worthy of insulting. He's probably the friendliest atheist I've discovered thus far. It's obvious the uploader doesn't care to know atheists, and, like theists, judge us by what they see in the media. I have zero tolerance for ignoramuses such as this guy. I don't have problem with what the lady did, but I do find it silly, and would laugh at it each time I drove by. Regardless of its use or purpose, a cross is silly and anyone who believes it has magical powers is silly. I don't care if the atheists forced her to take it down, it's her fault for not fighting for what she believed in.

Same sex divorce should be outlawed. #StopTheGays
RE: Atheist Group Forces Grieving Mother To Remove Roadside Cross
I only managed about 45 seconds of the video because the bloke is an idiot but I cant help wondering how big the cross was? Are we talking small, as in made out of lollypop sticks, or a full scale, wooden replica which is a hazard to other road users and likely to cause injury (or worse) if it were hit in an accident? This makes all the difference to whether the atheists were being petty or the Christians are once again proving that they have no consideration for other people and they're blowing this out of all proportion by making out the only reason it was removed was because it was a cross.

Sorry if this was covered in the video but I didn't watch all of it and a quick google search didn't mention it either.

On a side note Christians love pretending they're being persecuted because the bible tells them they will be persecuted for being Christians, so they're not real Christians if they're not being persecuted. A self fulfilling prophecy of sorts.
I'm always so perplexed when I see a video from someone telling a group of people he's in no way connected to, on behalf of another person he's in no way connected to, to "mind their own business." The dissonance there is... truly fascinating. Thinking

One wonders, too, whether he would be so upset if it was, say, a Satanic tribute, or a Muslim one. Hell, I wonder if it would even be allowed to be there that long, if it were one of those?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Quote: On a side note Christians love pretending they're being persecuted because the bible tells them they will be persecuted for being Christians, so they're not real Christians if they're not being persecuted. A self fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

That's a fucking nuisance if you live in a polite, first world country like me. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to be persecuted in Wimborne? For anything?

The reluctance of people to persecute me comes damn close to being persecution in and of itself.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 10, 2014 at 8:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: That's a fucking nuisance if you live in a polite, first world country like me. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to be persecuted in Wimborne? For anything?

You're just over the other side of Southampton from me. Big Grin
(March 10, 2014 at 8:06 am)Insanity Wrote:
(March 10, 2014 at 8:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: That's a fucking nuisance if you live in a polite, first world country like me. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to be persecuted in Wimborne? For anything?

You're just over the other side of Southampton from me. Big Grin
I don't actually live there any more Wink. But it's the politest town I've eve been to!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 10, 2014 at 4:47 am)Yahweh Wrote: You can't possibly tell me that Hemant Mehta is worthy of insulting. He's probably the friendliest atheist I've discovered thus far.

I can't watch the vid here at work, but I can comment on that - I've had the pleasure of meeting Hemant and having dinner with him when he came to talk for our local group. He really is that nice through and through, and it's really calming to be in his presence.

As for shit on the roadsides - we already miss many of the signs that are on the roads because there are too many distracting signs as it is. We had a rather busy intersection near my house which constantly had accidents happening before we installed traffic lights. The display in the middle of the intersection got bigger and bigger as people added onto existing displays because they never took them down. Sometimes stuffed washed into the street and caused a hazard. I understand wanting to memorialize your loved one, but no one gives a shit on a public road (they don't know them anyway) and it potentially causes further distractions and accidents.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
This is wrong on so many levels. Atheists aren't offended by crosses, they're doing to because they can and need media attention.
This whole crosses beside the road for ded people isn't something I've seen in Alabama, though I have heard a country song about three wooden crosses.

I watched over two and a half minutes, and stopped when he started talking about throwing him in the river when he dies. Personally I don't want my funeral to be expensive either, but don't start chucking bodies in the rivers.

This doesn't seem like an issue that atheists should worry about. Focus on minority rights and women's rights. Focus on keeping religion out of schools and helping science education. He doesn't go into how big this cross is, or if it actually says anything mean, or whatever, but this seems like a petty thing to do.

Basically, the main problem with religion is when they try to shove it down our throats and force us to obey or suffer. That's what we should focus on. Not some little crosses by the roadside where people die in a car crash.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was a ten foot neon cross that says repent or burn on the front. I don't know.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Around where I live, small crosses (foot high maybe) are often put at the roadside at sites where people died in traffic accidents. I don't even think they are intended to be religious symbols, they serve mostly as commemoration and a warning for others to drive safely. They are not very distracting, and no one cares.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Christians are using this real nasa picture with a cross as proof of christianity... LetThereBeNoGod 31 4169 January 20, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3580 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2093 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5675 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  My facebook group... Brian37 0 1224 April 5, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheists: What if a grieving woman Rufius 53 8739 November 6, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Starting Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics group in East County SD LivingNumbers6.626 13 5185 August 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Mother wants to start going to church... NemesisPrime 27 3625 August 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Job forces me to attend church TheGamingAtheist 30 4318 July 20, 2014 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Brakeman