Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People that just won't stop pestering
People that just won't stop pestering
I have to know what others think about this so please give me your input. Short version- both my parents are accepting I am an atheist. My dad's never really believed in a god, I would call him an agnostic but he doesn't have a word for himself. My mom still believes but is okay that I don't. For the most part. My mom's sister on the other hand... is a lot more active in her religion and although she doesn't try shoving her beliefs to me, I have reached a breaking point almost this weekend.

I was sent a book in the mail from her (She lives in Colorado, I'm in CA) this weekend called The Story with a forward by Max Lucado Randy Frazee. I know she hasn't accepted that I'm an atheist and I know she means well but... after being sent this book I can't help but feel insulted, as if what I think doesn't matter to her. I know she will always love me and means well, but sending me this book is almost rude imo. Apparently it's a book that's meant to 'read like a novel' so people can better understand the bible. Then she sends a short letter with the book saying she feels it's her duty that Jesus wanted her to do this, then reminding me she's my godmother and of my baptism. Sorry but I was like, 7 when that happened. I'm 25 now. Things change. Yet she seems determined to convert me.

I can't help but get the feeling she thinks I'm dark or evil in some way. That I'm lost and need help. I was in a rough spot in my teen years and early twenties but a lot better now. This book won't convert me. Nothing will. I feel confused, I don't know what I should tell her. She's asked if I received it yet. What should I say? I so want to say this won't help me, but I'd sound rude and ungrateful. I feel she wouldn't want to talk with me if I told her how I really feel. What do you say to someone who won't let go in terms of trying to convert you? Undecided

I'd love advice, but if you have your own stories of people that just won't relent, please share.
[Image: esm2-10.jpg]
Mega Harry Potter and Stan Marsh fan.
RE: People that just won't stop pestering
I'd tell her what you think: I know that you mean well and that religion is very important to you, but I can't help but feel a bit insulted by you sending me that book. I have thought about the isdue a great deal, and it's not for lack of information that I don't believe.
Cheers
HarryStanluv
Acknowledge receiving the book. Thank her for it. Read it. If she insists on getting your reaction the book, there's no harm in saying you found it unpersuasive (or poorly written or whatever) if that's your opinion. If she persists in her efforts after that, gently but firmly let her know that further efforts to convert you are not welcome.

If that rubs her the wrong way, so be it. Her good intentions don't trump your right to have an opinion and to be left alone.
I know it's your aunt and all, but I would send her The God Delusion in return to hammer home the message while also letting her knows what it feels like when people try to impede upon your beliefs.
Re: RE: People that just won't stop pestering
(March 11, 2014 at 9:03 am)Caesar Wrote: I know it's your aunt and all, but I would send her The God Delusion in return to hammer home the message while also letting her knows what it feels like when people try to impede upon your beliefs.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell her you will read her book if she reads yours. Tell her you feel it is your duty to spread the truth.
I have an Aunt exactly like this, but I also have a three year old daughter whom she tries to involve in her conversion efforts and this has resulted in my banning her from spending time with my kid. Children are impressionable and I would rather my child have as little to do with religion as possible until she is of an age to be informed about religion as a whole in a reality based manner.

While it didn't work for me, your initial response could be to acknowledge how she feels while taking a stern stance on your own position. If she ignores it and keeps sending you material then ignore it.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Or you could turn the tables on her by pretending to be a True ChristianTM and send her some of the most wacko Chick tracts you can find, and then keep insinuating that she's not nearly as religious as you think she should be. If she gets offended, then tell her that it doesn't feel very good, does it?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I think I would have thrown the book in the trash and if/when she asked told her I did.

Then ask the person in question to stop sending them because I'm not interested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1937 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14570 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2281 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4618 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6624 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Are US Atheists just people with daddy issues? Ronia 22 8828 August 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14328 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5443 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Stop calling atheists 'fundamentalists' Dystopia 80 13786 July 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Banning it doesn't stop it! Dragonetti 43 8385 June 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti