Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon
I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon
Yeah, I know. Been just dying to read what happens between the Lamanites and Nephites or whatever the hell they are called.

On a recent visit to the Los Angeles area, we stayed in a hotel that had a copy of the BoM in the nightstand. Never one to miss an opportunity for comedy, I opened and randomly read bits to my GF and kids; to everyone's great amusement.

I then threw the BoM at my GF for sassin' me and forgot about it.

On arrival back home, what do I see in her suitcase? The infernal Book had followed us home! Like a mangy dog with three legs. Not even as cute; not by a long shot.

Now, my sweet GF gets to hear even more "And so it happened" and "And it came to pass" blah, blah and yada yada. Looks like 50-70% of every sentence starts with "And".

As Mark Twain said, "chloroform in print". Maybe he didn't see the humor in it. Damn straight-laced guy that he was.

Do you think it's a sign from The Ruling Council of Kolob? Perhaps my raving atheist of a GF has become a closet Mormon?

On reading excerpts, if truly a convert, I would expect her eye-rolling would tone down a bit though.

The funniest bit was probably in the beginning where there is a "certification" that the contents of the book were actually translated by old Joe, and they *swear* they ain't lying. No siree bob. We ain't! We swears it!

Uh huh.
RE: I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormom
(April 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: As Mark Twain said, "chloroform in print".

That's a good one, must remember that Big Grin
Do you steal dog turds out of the park, too?

Angel
(April 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do you steal dog turds out of the park, too?

Angel

Only when it gets on my shoe.
(April 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: Yeah, I know. Been just dying to read what happens between the Lamanites and Nephites or whatever the hell they are called.

On a recent visit to the Los Angeles area, we stayed in a hotel that had a copy of the BoM in the nightstand.

Isn't the whole reason they put bibles and BoMs in hotel rooms because they want you to take them? I wouldn't feel bad about it. There's probably 50 more in their housekeeping closet, if not to replace the ones people take then to replace the ones people play Hide The Bible (or BoM) with and the housekeeper can't find it. :p

Quote:The funniest bit was probably in the beginning where there is a "certification" that the contents of the book were actually translated by old Joe, and they *swear* they ain't lying. No siree bob. We ain't! We swears it!

Uh huh.

Right, because NOBODY would lie about that!

Dodgy
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon
We were only half-joking about expecting to see a charge for $45 for the highly valued BoM.
You didn't have to take it. You can download an app and it will actually read it out loud for you. Yeah !!!!!!
Quote:As Mark Twain said, "chloroform in print".

It was Hitchens (I think) who accused Twain of shooting at too soft a target with that remark, as one of the books in the BoM is called 'Ether'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I have always wanted to read the book of mormon, I have heard some of the stories in the book are pretty far out.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/BOM/index.htm

Go for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1667 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2342 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6564 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2376 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1846 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2800 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6121 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1653 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5882 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 11977 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand