Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Poll: Why do Christians support public prayer?
This poll is closed.
It's social. They like to feel like they belong.
21.43%
3 21.43%
It's social. It boosts their self-esteem to know that other people agree with them.
28.57%
4 28.57%
It's social. Other
7.14%
1 7.14%
It's religious. They believe it's their duty to reinforce Christianity.
35.71%
5 35.71%
It's religious. Other
0%
0 0%
Other
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matthew 6: Jesus condemns public prayer
Matthew 6: Jesus condemns public prayer
Right before introducing the longer version of the Lord's prayer (it apperas twice in the Bible), Jesus criticizes those who pray in public.

Why do so many Christians support public prayers?

---edit---
You can select multiple options on the poll.

Mathew 6:5-13 NIV

Quote:“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

“This, then, is how you should pray:

"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’
RE: Matthew 6: Jesus condemns public prayer
Jesus ...god.. same shit same bullshit
Obviously.....fucking jesus didn't know what he was talking about!
(April 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Obviously.....fucking jesus didn't know what he was talking about!

I imagine them emulating your avatar while everybody else follows their lead and prays with them.
"Jesus" supposedly said "turn the other cheek" and "rich people suck" too, and you you don't have to go far to watch today's variants of xtian assholes come up with all sorts of reasons why their god did not mean what he said. One almost has to wonder who is the 'god' and who is the 'follower,' eh?

Religion is bullshit. That is the one universal constant.
(April 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Coffee Jesus Wrote: Right before introducing the longer version of the Lord's prayer (it apperas twice in the Bible), Jesus criticizes those who pray in public.

Why do so many Christians support public prayers?

---edit---
You can select multiple options on the poll.

Mathew 6:5-13 NIV

Quote:“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

“This, then, is how you should pray:

"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’

The pharisees would pray in public so everyone could see how "holy and rightous" they were. Christ often criticized them for pretending to be holy on the outside while being evil on the inside. They loved to be seen by the people doing all these supposedly pious things and then being idolized by them. Jesus told his disciples not to be like the pharisees and pray to be seen, but to pray earnestly to God who hears you even if you're not praying audibly. He wasn't giving a prohibition against group prayer.
(April 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Lek Wrote: The pharisees would pray in public so everyone could see how "holy and rightous" they were. Christ often criticized them for pretending to be holy on the outside while being evil on the inside. They loved to be seen by the people doing all these supposedly pious things and then being idolized by them. Jesus told his disciples not to be like the pharisees and pray to be seen, but to pray earnestly to God who hears you even if you're not praying audibly. He wasn't giving a prohibition against group prayer.

What about school sponsored prayer at a graduation ceremony? Is that earnest prayer, even though the praying is triggered by conformity rather than an earnest desire to pray?

4:30

---edit---
Besides, even if Jesus didn't necessarily condemn all group prayer, he did specifically endorse private prayer in "your room", in "secret".
(April 12, 2014 at 2:03 pm)Coffee Jesus Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Lek Wrote: The pharisees would pray in public so everyone could see how "holy and rightous" they were. Christ often criticized them for pretending to be holy on the outside while being evil on the inside. They loved to be seen by the people doing all these supposedly pious things and then being idolized by them. Jesus told his disciples not to be like the pharisees and pray to be seen, but to pray earnestly to God who hears you even if you're not praying audibly. He wasn't giving a prohibition against group prayer.

What about school sponsored prayer at a graduation ceremony? Is that earnest prayer, even though the praying is triggered by conformity rather than an earnest desire to pray
I
How could you even askAngry
[Image: abedini-white-house-prayer-line.jpg]

You know what it's like. You're outside the Whitehouse with a bunch of your political friends and feel a sudden, Ernest and sincere desire to pray. So you all fall to your knees (happily you all had your matching kneeler pads just in case) and crank on. Then, annoyingly, a bunch of press arrive and start taking pictures. Obviously you don't WANT voters to see you praying, that's totally not the point. But you know, whatcha gonna do?

I will say this for Great Britain. If a bunch of politicians tried that here they'd be a laughing stock.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Oooh! That chick off to the right is really getting into it. Wink
Quote:What about school sponsored prayer at a graduation ceremony? Is that earnest prayer, even though the praying is triggered by conformity rather than an earnest desire to pray?

I'd say no to public school sponsored prayer. As for the politicians, it looks like a show to me. If a certain church body were to get together and have an outdoor service, say at a park, then I would say that it wouldn't violate Jesus' words. I don't know what's going on in the heads and hearts of the individuals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2770 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 653 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 10088 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3628 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 5756 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16169 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  The Bible condemns homosexuality. Jehanne 190 28737 May 2, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3569 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 25976 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito
Heart The power of prayer JBrentonK 87 14845 October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter