Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallels Between Osiris and Jesus
Parallels Between Osiris and Jesus
There is allot claims going around that Jesus is a forgery of Horus, some parallels are true and some are false. However there is also interesting parallels between Horus' father Osiris and Jesus. I have confirmed most of these hymns but not all of them.

It is truly worth taking a look, I find it to be great ammunition.

Parallels between Osiris and Jesus
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
RE: Parallels Between Osiris and Jesus
I read the article and then took a look at the home page.

Egypt Origins Home Page

Quote:I elected to create a web site because I directly explore and develop elements that are not welcome for publication within professional journals supported by the current scholarly community. Psychological and social attitudes prevent the shattering of primitive concepts now shared in those realms.

I wondered who he is and got a clue from his email address. He runs a second website - The Moyer Papers

About The Author - Spiritual History makes interesting reading. This is the second half.

Quote:While on business trips for IBM picked up UFO Contactee books in airports and was stunned by parallel descriptions castigated by mainline science and religion.

Learned of Urantia Papers in 1967. Pulled back to the Bible in summer of 1967. This sequence led to a deep and unusual spiritual experience late in 1967. As a consequence I became aware that:

1. A high level of intelligence was operating around our planet.

2. The intelligence was from the highest religious universe administration.

3. A master destiny program was underway for our planet.

4. We would experience world nuclear holocaust.

5. We would be subject to intense religious persecution as part of a technique to spiritually screen the human race.

6. Survivors would enter a new world era, and eventually the world would be totally converted to righteousness and holiness, in blessing and love.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
He's written three books which are on Amazon - the link below is to the page where they are listed with individual links.

The Birth of a Divine Revelation
The Origin of the Urantia Papers

Spirit Entry Into Human Mind
The Coming Spiritual Storm

Our Celestial Visitors
A Program in World Rehabilitation

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...0p%20moyer

I think it's best to find another source of information for any parallels between Osiris and Jesus.
Why? The legitimacy of the parallels are not dependent on the beliefs of the author.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
(April 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm)Senshi Wrote: Why? The legitimacy of the parallels are not dependent on the beliefs of the author.

Did you read his Note about translations?

Quote:We are looking at how people expressed their religious beliefs. The Egyptians were just as sincere in regard to their religious history, even if pagan, as the later Hebrews and Christians were with theirs. The difference was an inheritance from a distant past that became corrupt and embellished over time, compared to a fresh contact with the heavenly realms recorded by Hebrews and Christians. The Egyptian record is from debased human memory; the Judeo-Christian record is from living experience.

and

Quote:Modern scholarship refuses to accept that God and the gods are real; they believe that such beliefs had strictly evolutionary origins, and were generated from the psychological impulses of men. I do not address that crowd.

At the end of the section titled The Human Birth Of Osiris.

Quote:This all can be understood if the ancient Egyptians did not accept that a god from the celestial realms, who lived on earth as a man, could, or would, be born of human parents. They then transferred all those earthly connections to the heavenly gods. More likely they invented Nut and Geb to complete their structure of the cosmos, and in order to satisfy their mythological needs.

But the Hebrew people were not thus confused. That this God will be born as a human being is stated in a very famous passage, although it has not yet reached fulfillment:

Isa 9:6 -- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

At the end of the section titled Osiris As God -

Quote:Unfortunately, the ancient Egyptians fell into the same trap as Christians. They believed he will arise in earthly flesh. See the famous passage where Jesus invites Thomas to touch him , John 20:27. However, we know the passage is not accurate, and is an interpolation by a later scribe. Just a few sentences earlier in John 20:17 we are told that Mary Magdalene attempted to grab hold of him in her adoration but the risen personality told her not to touch him. This probably meant that he was in a different energy state, and her material touch would have harmed her.

Yes, there are definitely parallels between Osiris and Jesus if you believe that Osiris and Jesus are beings from the celestial realms who incarnated as humans and had human parents. This is why I get the impression that he was cherry picking texts to fit his own beliefs.

If you really want to find parallels you could start here - The Osiris Myth - this wikipedia article goes through how the myth developed over time and includes the version written by Plutarch.

Osiris was killed and then resurrected but that's about it. Jesus wasn't cut into pieces which his wife then gathered together so she could impregnate herself and bear a son to avenge her husband's death.
People like to push these similarities beyond all reason.

Resurrecting gods were a dime a dozen in the ANE. Jesus is nothing special. It is not necessary to make connections to every aspect of the story.
(April 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: People like to push these similarities beyond all reason.

Resurrecting gods were a dime a dozen in the ANE. Jesus is nothing special. It is not necessary to make connections to every aspect of the story.

Indeed - We can assume that the christ - as well as the Xtian and Jewish religions -0were not solely based on just the Egyptian religion. It is just as obvious that some of the Myths of the bible are based on Babylonian myth - among others.

As people moved about - and came into contact/bondage to other cultures - the religions took on some of the features of those religions - in a "can you top this" sort of way.

About the only thing we can say about the xtian Mythology - is that NONE of it is original - it all had a prior basis.
The people who push for these claims never had any studies in Egyptology. It's insulting how many details they get wrong. You'd bet more value out of watching Ancient Aliens.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
This will sound strange but for once I think you are on the right tack. Egypt in the first millennium was a declining power far from its glory days in the New Kingdom. They, too, were overrun by Assyrians and Persians and Greeks. All of this stuff was common knowledge through the region and would have been adopted and adapted by all of the cultures involved.
The fixation on Egypt probably revolves around the early 20th century Egyptomania brought on by Tut's tomb and its artifacts.
Without looking at any gods or trying to find similarities between Jesus and another deity, the Hero pattern makes an outstanding impression, and gets the job done. The point of this thread wasn't to claim that Jesus is a forgery of Osiris it was to provide something that maybe some of us are not aware of. It is inexorable that some of the parallels people claim between Horus and Jesus are in fact lies, however when you show something like a hymn saying "this is my son with whom I'm pleased" and bible verse "this is my son with whom I'm pleased" it strikes a chord and it even feels unsettling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4584 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3076 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13659 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3200 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version Rhondazvous 19 11735 May 13, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7244 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  The difference between god and batman Lemonvariable72 44 10558 September 29, 2013 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  how do you tell the difference between a false prophet and a 'genuinely' god-powered one with 'real' revelati Mark 13:13 43 15864 January 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Mark 13:13
  Kountze cheerleaders happily breaking down the barrier between church and state. Ziploc Surprise 14 5464 September 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is the difference between faith and gullibility? Puddleglum 18 13242 September 25, 2012 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Reasonable_Jeff