Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 Arguments for God's existence?
20 Arguments for God's existence?
This has been mentioned in another forum, and people seem to be fawning over it as though it is the holy grail absolutely proving God's existence.

I have not had a chance to look at it thoroughly, but I thought I would present it here to see what you thought of it.

Quote:1. The Argument from Change
2. The Argument from Efficient Causality
3. The Argument from Time and Contingency
4. The Argument from Degrees of Perfection
5. The Design Argument
6. The Kalam Argument
7. The Argument from Contingency
8. The Argument from the World as an Interacting Whole
9. The Argument from Miracles
10. The Argument from Consciousness
11. The Argument from Truth
12. The Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God
13. The Ontological Argument
14. The Moral Argument
15. The Argument from Conscience
16. The Argument from Desire
17. The Argument from Aesthetic Experience
18. The Argument from Religious Experience
19. The Common Consent Argument
20. Pascal's Wager

In this section you will find arguments of many different kinds for the existence of God. And we make to you, the reader, an initial appeal. We realize that many people, both believers and nonbelievers, doubt that God's existence can be demonstrated or even argued about. You may be one of them. You may in fact have a fairly settled view that it cannot be argued about. But no one can reasonably doubt that attention to these arguments has its place in any book on apologetics. For very many have believed that such arguments are possible, and that some of them actually work.

Continuation of the introduction before starting with the arguments:

http://www.strangenotions.com/god-exists/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: 20 Arguments for God's existence?
21. "Because the bible says so!"
Dying to live, living to die.
Since it ends on Pascal's Wager, I'm not exactly filled with hope for a cogent set of arguments, here. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Quote:11. The Argument from Truth
[Image: 1370.gif]
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(May 8, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: This has been mentioned in another forum, and people seem to be fawning over it as though it is the holy grail absolutely proving God's existence.

I have not had a chance to look at it thoroughly, but I thought I would present it here to see what you thought of it.

Not familiar with it, so I can't comment.

Quote:2. The Argument from Efficient Causality

An argument from Material Causality would (and does) counter this.

Quote:3. The Argument from Time and Contingency

Doesn't work if one (such as me) accepts the B-theory of time. And I'm fairly certain many contingency arguments beg the question by assuming the Principle of Sufficient Reason.

Quote:4. The Argument from Degrees of Perfection

If this isn't talking about Robert Maydoyle's argument regarding Great-making properties, I'm not familiar with it.

Quote:5. The Design Argument

Which one? And how does it avoid making an argument from ignorance, or contradicting eithe God's omnipotence or omnibenevolence?

Quote:6. The Kalam Argument

1) B-theory of Time
2) Quantum Eternity Theorem
3) An argument from Material Causality

Quote:7. The Argument from Contingency

Is this really much, if any, different than #3? Again, if it's assuming that the Principle of Sufficient Reason is a metaphysical necessity, yet it doesn't have a reason why it's true, it's just an inconsistent argument.

Quote:8. The Argument from the World as an Interacting Whole

Ignoring the stupid name, not familiar with it.

Quote:9. The Argument from Miracles

David Hume's argument against miracles.

Quote:10. The Argument from Consciousness

-Yawn- Almost certainly just a disguised argument from ignorance.

Quote:11. The Argument from Truth

I can't remember this argument. I'll come back to it later perhaps.

Quote:12. The Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God

They're referencing Descartes' Trademark Argument, REALLY? That was refuted, like, 400-years ago, and no one uses it. They're REALLY getting desparate at this point.

Quote:13. The Ontological Argument

Which one? If Anselm's then it wronglt assumes existence is a property, if Plantinga is begs the question because it has to assume Modal Realism. I'll be releasing a video refuting Plantinga's ontological argument soon.

Quote:14. The Moral Argument

Which one? If it's W.L. Craig's, then it's 1st premise is demonstrably false. Moral realism is no more incapable of being true if no gods exist than if they do.

Quote:15. The Argument from Conscience

Don't know it, sounds stupid.

Quote:16. The Argument from Desire

If this is basically Immanuel Kant's idea that "ought implies can", it's more or less just being sneaky with language. After all, I ought to save everyone from dying and help them all live excellent fulfilling lives, yet that's clearly absurd and just physically impossible given thw limited creature that I am.

Quote:17. The Argument from Aesthetic Experience

Lulz, I thought that said the "Argument from the Atheist Experience". xD Anyways, I fail to see anything close to a persuasive argument for God on the basis of aesthetics alone.

Quote:18. The Argument from Religious Experience

This cannot convince anyone but the experiencer by mere virtue of the nature of experience.

Quote:19. The Common Consent Argument

Don't know, don't care.

Quote:20. Pascal's Wager

Oh go fuck Pascal in the ass, why don't they.

And as a counter, I present:

Quote:1. Logical Problem of Evil
2. Evidential Problem of Evil
3. Theistic Argument Against Apologetics
4. Argument from Divine Hiddenness
5. Cantorian Argument Against Omniscience
6. Problem of Heaven
7. Problem of Divine Freedom
8. Moral Argument for Atheism
9. Argument from Material Causality
10. Argument from Inconsistent Revelations
11. Euthyphro Dilemma
12. Platonic-Theodicy Dilemma (that's right, dropping in my own argument like a dick)
13. Reverse Modal Ontological Argument
14. Problem of Non-God Objects
15. Argument from Corruption
16. Ray Comfort, Kent Hovind and Ken Ham
17. The Imperfection of Scripture
18. Cosmological Argument for Atheism
19. Problems with God's attributes
20. Hume's Argument Against Miracles

/somewhat thorough

Wink
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
The most powerful argument I know for God is the Max evolutionary Argument. As follows:

Christians and Muslims are too stupid to have evolved naturally, therefore God.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
I wonder how Lucy would feel knowing that some of her descendants evolved in creatard morons?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...180951155/

She looks like she just discovered the other way a banana is designed to be used - brought tears to her eyes so it did.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(May 8, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: This has been mentioned in another forum, and people seem to be fawning over it as though it is the holy grail absolutely proving God's existence.

2. The Argument from Efficient Causality
3. The Argument from Time and Contingency
4. The Argument from Degrees of Perfection
5. The Design Argument
6. The Kalam Argument
7. The Argument from Contingency
8. The Argument from the World as an Interacting Whole
9. The Argument from Miracles
10. The Argument from Consciousness
11. The Argument from Truth
12. The Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God
13. The Ontological Argument
14. The Moral Argument
15. The Argument from Conscience
16. The Argument from Desire
17. The Argument from Aesthetic Experience
18. The Argument from Religious Experience
19. The Common Consent Argument
20. Pascal's Wager

In this section you will find arguments of many different kinds for the existence of God. And we make to you, the reader, an initial appeal. We realize that many people, both believers and nonbelievers, doubt that God's existence can be demonstrated or even argued about. You may be one of them. You may in fact have a fairly settled view that it cannot be argued about. But no one can reasonably doubt that attention to these arguments has its place in any book on apologetics. For very many have believed that such arguments are possible, and that some of them actually work.

Continuation of the introduction before starting with the arguments:

http://www.strangenotions.com/god-exists/

Even if ANY of the above could prove the existence of a higher power - that still leaves a HUGE obstacle for religion - connect the dots ONLY to YOUR religion and eliminate all others.

There have been tens of thousands of gods claimed - and we actually have real proof of the existence of some of them (Among others - the egyptian Pharaohs)

IF you get an xtian who claims a god - simply say - I don't believe in RELIGION - rather than I don't believe in a god. They will try the strawman - can you prove a god does not exist - and call them on it by saying -
I never said that - what I said was that I do not believe in RELIGION - because no religion has ever proven that a god is their god - and that the rest of the supernatural story of their religion has any basis - or that anything the religion does has any effect beyond chance.

Why is it that cancer rates are virtually the same for all religious groups?
Here's hundreds of arguments for God's existence!

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm

Now Godless Scum! What do you have to say?!?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 480 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2112 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2889 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Arguments Against Thomistic philosophy FireFromHeaven 155 24882 January 28, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Favorite arguments against Christianity? newthoughts 0 688 December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: newthoughts
  Atheism vs. God's Existence sk123 412 55358 May 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7446 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Scientism & Philosophical Arguments SteveII 91 18486 December 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Why make stupid unsustainable arguments? Aractus 221 40523 December 14, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Joods
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3607 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus