Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer Studies
Prayer Studies
I'm not a big believer in the power of prayer for reasons that have nothing to do with the results of prayer studies. That being said, I often hear atheists claim that scientific studies of prayer show that it doesn't work. I cringe that people actually put faith in studies which are obviously fatally flawed. How do you test God? How do you control that variable?

Suppose I am a researcher looking for evidence for the "power of prayer". I ask my participants to pray for a certain group of heart patients. Does God actually consider those prayers to be prayers or merely elements in a "scientific" study? Maybe God has decided he will not be tested and ignores those prayers or maybe he decides to apply the "graces" from those "prayers" to people not under the scrutiny of the researcher.

There is a reason researchers will often keep the true purpose of a study away from the test subjects....they don't want the study to influence the actions of their subjects. With God that is impossible to do. A researcher studying the power of prayer has to hope that his subject, God, will cooperate in the study...he can't trick God into cooperating.

Second, Prayer studies will contain a control group of people for whom prayers are not offered. But the researchers cannot guarantee that prayers are not offered for this group. A patient who is part of the not prayed for control group.....may mention he has a heart problem to a friend not part of or privy to the study....the friend then says a prayer for the patient. It is simply impossible to have an untainted control group. Somebody, outside the study is always going to know the patients condition.....and might pray for them.

Can any atheists point to a prayer study that isn't flawed?
RE: Prayer Studies
Prayer doesn't work because your god doesn't exist. It's simple, really.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(May 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm)Heywood Wrote: How do you test God?

I imagine it has more to do with testing the effect believing in god has than testing something for which there is no evidence to support its existence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The US military cemetery at Omaha Beach.

I wonder how many prayed to get across that fucking beach?
As much of an attention seeker as Yahweh is portrayed to be in the bible, I'm baffled that he's ever want to hide from anyone. Matthew 7:7 said ask and you will receive. If he refuses to show himself to nonbelievers, then it just makes it harder to convert them.

You test prayer by seeing how consistent it is in getting results. Just like you test everything else.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Jesus said that if a believer asked for anything in prayer that he would give it to the person. If you believe in Jesus pray to him and ask for what you want. It's therefore easy to determine if prayer works.

(May 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The US military cemetery at Omaha Beach.

I wonder how many prayed to get across that fucking beach?

That's a faulty question since countless people experienced years of combat and didn't get injured at all.
(May 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm)Chad32 Wrote: As much of an attention seeker as Yahweh is portrayed to be in the bible, I'm baffled that he's ever want to hide from anyone. Matthew 7:7 said ask and you will receive. If he refuses to show himself to nonbelievers, then it just makes it harder to convert them.

You test prayer by seeing how consistent it is in getting results. Just like you test everything else.

With everything else you can isolate and control variables. With prayer you cannot. You cannot guarantee God even considers the prayers genuine prayers and not artifacts of a scientific study. You cannot guarantee prayers are not offered for people in the control group. Every study I have seen suffers from these two fatal flaws.....meaning the results of the study are useless.
Ask and you shall receive seek and you shall find knock and the door will be slammed in your face? Is that how the verse goes? Hmm
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 16, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Losty Wrote: Ask and you shall receive seek and you shall find knock and the door will be slammed in your face? Is that how the verse goes? Hmm

I don't want to argue the bible....but I know it doesn't say, "participate in a scientific experiment and you will be healed". By making an intercessory request an artifact of a scientific experiment, you change the nature of the act itself.
(May 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm)Heywood Wrote: You cannot guarantee God even considers the prayers genuine prayers and not artifacts of a scientific study.

Of course not, because for god to be considered a proper variable he must first be proven to exist. Without his existence to support the controlled variable, one can only study the effects belief in god and prayer have on particular outcomes.

Studies have shown that mind alteration geared toward the positive sometimes, that being the operative word, can improve an outcome. Of course, even the opposite can be stated as well. As a pessimist, I can state for certain that sometimes good things happen to me even though I was genuinely expecting the worst.

Outcomes, overall, cannot be controlled by thought, mind alteration, or god. Outcomes occur the way they do for the simple reason that was the way they were supposed to occur. Outcomes are nothing more than coincidences, no matter how much meaning we would prefer to attribute to them.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5276 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1919 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6564 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 15042 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Forced Prayer ScienceAf 33 6432 August 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Prayer to the God of Atheism Rhondazvous 21 3624 May 16, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment LivingNumbers6.626 8 2384 December 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism and Prayer ComradeMeow 22 3910 September 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Atheistic dinner "prayer" Eric9001 11 4887 July 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic