Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality quiz, and objective moralities
Morality quiz, and objective moralities
I've put this in the religious section as it's particularly pertinent to religious views of morality. I have made a little quiz to try and break down the over-complication that some people apply to morality, and then I've written a short essay on my views of objective moralities including my recent thoughts.

Morality breakdown quiz:

Objective moralities discussion:

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Morality quiz, and objective moralities
Moral codes may objectively exist, but the contents of those codes, moral duties, are not objective.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Objective is a tricky word. Instead of fighting over definitions of words we would be better off agreeing that certain moralities are worse than others. From a collectively subjective point of view, that is,(call it whatever you want, but if we don't agree to that, then you might as well submit to absolute chaos and anarchy).

This is in response to Jörmungandr. The op is TL;DR as I'm about to go to sleep, so help me atheism. I'll say my secular incantation now and call it a night.
(January 28, 2016 at 4:29 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Moral codes may objectively exist, but the contents of those codes, moral duties, are not objective.

I'm not sure what you mean by moral duties, as opposed to a moral code. Could you elaborate please?

If the duties are the interpretation of the code, then yes of course, those are subjective.

The thing I find weirdest about proponents of "an objective morality" is that they talk about it like it's a real, existent entity; like it's floating around somehow. If they are religious, all they generally mean is "god's opinion" and they assume that this also just happens to be best for wellbeing, without demonstrating this to be true.

God's opinion is also not objective, however, you could take a snapshot of it at a particular moment in whatever passes for "time" for him, and then a code based on his opinions would be objective.

My whole post was probably way too long. I wanted to share my thoughts and there were probably too many Tongue
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I love quizzes! I can't resist a quiz!

(January 28, 2016 at 3:02 pm)robvalue Wrote: (1) Do you think morality is about considering the consequences of your actions on people, and giving them suitable respect?

Yes.

Quote:(2) Do you think morality is concerned with any other goal?

Ultimately, no.

Quote:No: Go to question 4.

Quote:(4) Do you have a good idea about what hurts people, and what helps them?

Yes, somewhat. Most of it I think is common sense.

Quote:Yes: Go to question 6.

Quote:(6) Do you care about other people?

Yes. Of course Heart

Quote:Yes: Your morality, or at least the part of it detailed in question 1, is motivated by empathy. It is a natural byproduct of the evolution of our species. End quiz.

Angel
I don't think objective morality can 'exist' objectively. I don't believe in any moral ontology.

I do think that once there is a subjective consensus on how morality can be defined such as "more suffering is bad" and "more happiness is good", then there are objectively some things more moral and some things less moral than others by that definition. In that sense there can be an objective morality, that is not to say that it 'exists'.

This is analogous to health. There is no objective "good health" out there to be discovered: I don't believe there is a thing 'out there' that 'exists' called 'good health'. I don't believe in any ontologically objective "health", just as I don't believe in any ontologically objective morality.

What we do with health is we come to a consensus about what it is to be "healthy" and then there are objectively some things more healthy than others based on that definition. This makes scientifically good health epistemically objective as (opposed to ontologically objective). The same could, in theory, be done for morality.

So I don't believe in an ontologically objective morality, but I do believe that perhaps there can be an epistemically objective morality.
Sure, I'm not talking about literal existence. I'm talking about an abstract idea.

For example, this could be moral code A: "Try and kill everyone you see."

Now, anyone who uses moral code A will have exactly the same set of instructions. It's not dependent on their opinion. It's objective, in that sense. It's a code anyone could try to follow. Of course, how they interpret it and how they go about it will be entirely subjective. And it's woefully incomplete, because it doesn't tell you how to act when you don't see any people.

All I'm really saying is that people can agree on sets of underlying principles, and the principles themselves can be objective while their application is not.

This stands in contradiction to the idea that there is just one "objective morality". It's a nonsense statement.

PS: Thanks for taking the quiz, Evie! Smile I would expect most people to end up with the same result although they may take a redundant "what God wants" branch on the way there. If anyone strays further than this, I'd be interested.

And when people generally say "objective morality", what they mean is the best possible morality. But "best" is entirely subjective. That is the problem.

Index of my best videos
Well this is why I drew the analogy with health. There is a subjective consensus on what the definition of "health" is, and some things based on that are more objectively healthy than other things. That is not based on opinion.

Not everyone has to agree on what is healthy or not healthy, but there is scientific evidence. I am saying that the same can be for morality at least in principle.
Sure, I think we're on the same page although I may not be making the best use of language.

I think morality is much more "out there" than health, in that the goals of health are more or less absolutely universal. At a very basic level, it's staying alive. However, the goals of morality are not always agreed on, even at such a fundamental level. A theist may say morality is simply "what God wants". Now they're not even talking about the same thing as me, when they refer to morality. However, moral codes are entirely arbitrary, and we can only compare them once we have agreed on very specific criteria regarding outcomes.

It gets way more complicated though. At an individual level, what someone believes to be true, and their intentions, figure into it. At least, they do according to me. Someone may be acting in what they consider to be the "right" way, according to their beliefs at the time, but which they would have considered to be the "wrong" way had their beliefs been different. For example, I believe no one is behind a door when I open it. But I was wrong, someone is there, and the door bangs them and hurts them a bit. I wouldn't call this immoral, it was accidental. Insisting that everyone's beliefs have to be true before they can even make a moral judgement is simply absurd. So the subjectivity of evaluating morality goes way beyond just looking strictly at outcomes.

Shut the fuck up daddy!

Okay little darling. That was my dog.

Index of my best videos
(January 28, 2016 at 3:02 pm)robvalue Wrote: An obvious question is which objective morality is best to maximise the well-being of people (and animals). Most people probably consider this to be a goal, if not the goal, of morality. However, for people who don't share this goal, or hold it secondary to other strange notions, such a criteria is not going to be agreed. Neither side can declare themselves to have "the best" morality when they haven't agreed what it even means to be the best.
Those who claim that morality is not essentially about the happiness or misery of creatures are not talking about morality, plain and simple. If someone tells me that being satisfied with one's past, present, or future is not a good everyone hopes for, or that the very idea of happiness is not demonstrably better in proportion to its opposite, they don't understand these terms, and they're likely just not being honest. If they agree that happiness is good, and that it is a good which all human beings naturally will and strive towards, but that possibly each person may disagree about what such a good means in practical affairs, then we have the foundation upon which to discuss objective morality, aside from which there are obvious conditions which are universally recognized as better than others.
Quote:Let's say we agree that the goal is just to maximise well-being. That raises the next problem: how do you measure well-being? There are a multitude of aspects, and everyone will have differing opinions as to how important they are relative to each other. They will also consider the importance of the wellbeing of non-human life as compared to humans differently. So unless some universal method of "measuring" wellbeing is agreed, you can't even begin to pick out a "best morality". You could certainly make a very strong case that some were now objectively better than others. That would be very simple, in cases where an obviously harmful principal is replaced by a less harmful or even helpful one. But for cases where the principals come into conflict, as is almost continually the case in real life, there is going to be a large element of subjectivity. Even if it was agreed by science/medicine that there was an objective way to measure well-being, that would still be a subjective choice from an infinite number of objective ways of measuring it. So now the "best" morality is just a function of the choice of measurement.
One can begin by differentiating qualities in the abstract that virtually everyone agrees upon, as the first principles are practically always perceived as more favorable to one side than the other (courage is better than cowardice, honesty is better than double-dealing, etc.) and then measure actual situations in terms of how they align to these universal ideals. Of course, it will be complicated, but the "choice of measurement" that is supported by a rationale analysis and that expresses moral sentiments which are actually, or inherently, better, will usually persuade those whose moral intuitions are informed by valid and sound argument. Even where there is room for reasonable people to disagree, the very expression of their disagreement will likely represent a more nuanced, and a more ethical position, than those who merely assent to the herd morality out of ignorance. This statement, of course, can only be made given the fact that it appears to everyone (as revealed by how each acts towards others) that an absolute standard does exist, whether they believe themselves to be its cause (which will quickly lead them to unsustainable contradictions) or not.
Quote:So to sum it all up: objective moralities are available, an infinite amount. We each select our own from the possible ones. We will all have our own reasons for this decision. Once basic goals have been agreed, some moral principals can be easily seen to be superior to others. But no morality can be declared "the best" without subjectively choosing an objective way to measure wellbeing (or whatever other goals morality may be seen to have); and as such is only conditionally the best. And even if we agreed on an objectively best set of principals, the way any individual person puts those into practice would be subjective, unless they were so detailed as to literally cover every possible situation ever. This is totally unrealistic, bordering on us being programmed like robots.
Every science, from physics to logic, involves "subjectively choosing an objective way to measure X." You make it needlessly complicated by pretending that the conditions for any possible objectivity in the domain of morality are somehow unique or different from those required in even having a discussion about morality, such as this. You and I have subjectively agreed that there are words which have certain meanings, and that these meanings represent states about a real, objective world - one that is only subjectively apprehended - and furthermore, that truth "exists" (floating around somewhere?) and that it is better than falsehood (better?). It makes no difference if we are talking about physical or mental states - people value such things as happiness, well-being, honesty, etc., just as much as they value their senses. You can prove this to them by asking them if they would permit you to chop their hand off, since a denial of these values would be basically nothing short of nihilism or complete apathy, in which case losing a hand can't really be seen as a big deal - plus, since it will become quite apparent to themselves that not being harmed by you does in fact matter to them, they will also quickly show you that they very much care whether or not your their not being harmed matters to you. And when you've demonstrated not only the need, but the reality of these assumptions by which everyone operates, you can proceed as normal.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 32994 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3391 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31024 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17057 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7326 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3629 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Objective greatness and God Mystic 26 4439 January 9, 2015 at 11:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Supposed Theist Morality Striper 26 7304 November 5, 2014 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Theistic morality Foxaèr 64 21816 May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: FilthyMeat