Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Muema, the guy who left the NFL combine...
Adam Muema, the guy who left the NFL combine...
...because god told him to. ESPN has a fairly interesting (if ultimately inconclusive) article on him and what has become of him. Apparently he was a pretty normal kid who seems to have gone off the rails right around the time of the combine, helped along by what appears to be a religious con-man (although the "con" part is literal in this case). But the story doesn't really get much farther than that, so aside from giving a bit of context and letting us know that this wasn't some fundie kid going nuclear at the worst time, we're left wondering what did cause him to go over the edge.

I get the feeling that a few years from now we'll probably get a more revealing story, assuming anyone considers it to be click-worthy by then.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
RE: Adam Muema, the guy who left the NFL combine...
Quote:But in recent weeks, Muema had essentially gone underground. He'd cut off contact with most of his friends and family. He'd parted with his agent and left the NFL combine on Feb. 23 after participating in just one day. He then claimed God had told him that if he left the combine, he'd be drafted by the Seahawks -- a move that sparked a number of news stories questioning his behavior.

http://www.netplaces.com/schizophrenia/w...-signs.htm

Quote:The earliest symptoms of schizophrenia, such as apathy and withdrawal from others, often are overlooked by family and friends.

Quote:Warning Signs of Mental Illness

Marked personality change

Inability to cope with problems and daily activities

Strange ideas or delusions
It's weird where the line is for Christians. God tells them to do shit all the time. Why, when this kid claims the same thing, do they jump ship?

I guess it's all bullshit to me, I have difficulty telling when it's 'extra-bullshit.'
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 23, 2014 at 12:20 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I guess it's all bullshit to me, I have difficulty telling when it's 'extra-bullshit.'

I know, right? There's nothing more frustrating than someone dismissing something as patently absurd while they cling to something else that is equally absurd.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's not like god ever told anyone in the bible to just leave their life behind and do something else.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 723 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Same guy? onlinebiker 10 712 May 27, 2022 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1582 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  GOP chooses to protect former guy and big lie. Brian37 11 810 June 1, 2021 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL Brian37 44 1632 July 13, 2020 at 6:41 pm
  Of Madonna, NFL and airlines. Brian37 1 284 January 21, 2020 at 10:50 am
  MAGA "Tough Guy " Gets His Clock Cleaned By Immigrant In The UFC The Architect Of Fate 28 2604 December 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Did nobody teach this guy to read? Brian37 29 2777 January 10, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  NFL Team Considering Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for Head Coach Seraphina 10 1242 November 18, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  "A good guy with a gun" saves the day, only to be shot dead himself Aegon 30 3150 November 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda