Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Roommate's Cat Just Killed a Bird
I was just outside, enjoying the cool evening, and listening to this close-to-annoying-but-not-close-enough-to-lack-cuteness bird singing it's little heart out, when I realized it sounded different.

Then my roommate's cat (the sweet one) hopped the fence with the poor thing in his mouth.

I started yelling at him, he was like, "but Auntie Becca- I brought you a present!" and meanwhile this bird was screaming in pain. He dropped it; it hopped under the fence; and he went back over the fence to finish the job. I was so relieved when the cries stopped.

I'm not sure what to do. We have two cats, and while the boy cat would probably be content if we didn't let him go outside, my cat would literally tear the house to shreds. My cat doesn't kill things, though. We also have a young dog who's used to going in and out through the doggy/kitty door, and I think she too would tear the house apart if she didn't have the access. She's a sneaky one.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice. I'm just sad about the bird, and my roommate's sleeping. Thanks for reading Smile
RE: My Roommate's Cat Just Killed a Bird
Its what cats do. Dogs too sometimes. Years ago we had a mutt who would bring us a "present" everyday. Happens.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
If it makes you feel any better, that's what cats do. It's natural.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

It's just their nature. Cats are cruel domesticated predators, not unlike Showtime's Dexter.

You can empathize with the cat's prey. The cat cannot. It's just having fun.

My favorite childhood pet cat was a habitual asshole. From the time it was a kitten, it would camp out in the hallway alcove near the bathroom, and with endless enthusiasm, sink a single claw into the human ankle-prey at wee hours of the morning.

Why? Because cat. If you could sit your roommate's cat down, and ask it for an ethical justification for killing birds, it would probably explain it to you by interpretive dance:

[Image: unexplainable_gifs_11.gif]

Because, Cat.

That same beloved childhood pet cat spent hours staking out the neighborhood raccoons, waiting for the moment they'd have their backs turned, to slink up and deliver a five-toed slap to the back of the head; only to flee in mother-of-god, all-that-is-holy, "did you see how pissed that one raccoon was? What the fuck did I just do?!" Wild-eyed derangement, only to slip in through the back door and continue taunting the raccoons through the glass slider.

Because, Cat.

[Image: catgif2.gif]
Does the cat have a bell on its collar? It can be enough to give the birds a chance. Worth a shot if it hasn't already got one.
Cats are crazy and will kill for pleasure regardless if they are going to eat it or toy with it. Love cats! I saw a Discovery channel episode once that listed the cat as the most dangerous predator alive, or something to that effect, and I almost started laughing until it explained how many birds, mice and everything else they kill annually and most of the time just to watch them poor suckers die.
I hate cats. They always look at you like "who the fuck are you looking at?". Arrogant bastards.
(June 11, 2014 at 8:14 am)Elskidor Wrote: Cats are crazy and will kill for pleasure regardless if they are going to eat it or toy with it. Love cats! I saw a Discovery channel episode once that listed the cat as the most dangerous predator alive, or something to that effect, and I almost started laughing until it explained how many birds, mice and everything else they kill annually and most of the time just to watch them poor suckers die.

Millions of needless deaths to satisfy the aesthetic whims of humans.

Fuck cats. Even the cute ones. Even my signature.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
[Image: types-of-cat.jpg]
Cats are psychopathic killers:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That unofficial cat thread. Brian37 13 1249 October 21, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Help Making Indoor Cat into Outdoor cat. vulcanlogician 22 1991 May 1, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What'sa matta, cat got your question? Brian37 49 2154 January 2, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bald Eagle aka freedom bird Richi29 10 682 July 24, 2020 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  My cat is sneezing WinterHold 22 2489 April 26, 2020 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My cat is the weirdest thing Foxaèr 17 1768 October 9, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  What's Your Favorite Bird Amarok 65 6662 July 24, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My cat is the worst thing ever! Foxaèr 14 3057 April 24, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Heart The Cat thread Martian Mermaid 7 998 November 17, 2017 at 8:10 pm