Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So What Do They Mean By "Secure" the Border?
So What Do They Mean By "Secure" the Border?
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/24/fr...mmigrants/

Quote:A sweeping immigration overhaul bill passed the Democratic-led Senate last year. But it has stalled in the Republican-led House of Representatives, whose leaders insist President Barack Obama’s administration should secure the border before easing immigration restrictions.

Machine gun nests? Mine fields?

These kids showing up at the border are gleefully surrendering to the border patrol and being taken into custody. Do the right-wing nutters want them shot on sight? What do some of the nutters have to say on this?
RE: So What Do They Mean By "Secure" the Border?
(June 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/24/fr...mmigrants/

Quote:A sweeping immigration overhaul bill passed the Democratic-led Senate last year. But it has stalled in the Republican-led House of Representatives, whose leaders insist President Barack Obama’s administration should secure the border before easing immigration restrictions.

These kids showing up at the border are gleefully surrendering to the border patrol and being taken into custody. Do the right-wing nutters want them shot on sight? What do some of the nutters have to say on this?
They mean look at this lovely loophole that allows us to say we are for immigration reform while voting against it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Didn't help Cantor.
To the south of us is a desert. I'd say get rid of all sources of water, except those we can easily monitor. Let the desert work with us. It should make it hard to pass through non designated areas, while still allowing people to cross who want to come legally.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/24/fr...mmigrants/

If people are coming here for jobs...I am okay with that. Let them all in. If they are coming for welfare...not cool.

My solution. Completely open boarders....give illegal immigrants the right to work....but no right to welfare or food stamps. If they get cold or hungry...let them look back to their home countries or on the voluntary charity of others for food and shelter.
(June 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm)Heywood Wrote:

If people are coming here for jobs...I am okay with that. Let them all in. If they are coming for welfare...not cool.

My solution. Completely open boarders....give illegal immigrants the right to work....but no right to welfare or food stamps. If they get cold or hungry...let them look back to their home countries or on the voluntary charity of others for food and shelter.

Heywood, I've found something I can agree with you about. But we do let their kids in public schools right?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
That's great except Woodie has created a strawman to be against.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files...2n1-11.pdf

Quote:Legal Barriers to Collecting Welfare
Despite the common belief, newcomers to the United States are
not generally eligible for the full smorgasbord of welfare benefits.
Title IV of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity
Reconciliation Act of 1996 has made it difficult for legal permanent
residents in the United States to live as wards of the state. The law,
also known as the 1996 Welfare Reform Act, states that “self-
sufficiency has been a basic principle of United States immigration
law.” In particular, “aliens within the Nation’s borders [should] not
depend on public resources to meet their needs,” and “the availabil-
ity of public benefits [should] not constitute an incentive for immi-
gration to the United States” (U.S. Congress 1996).
The law bars newly legalized permanent residents from eligibility
for a range of federal income support programs for at least the first
five years of their residency. Those programs include Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families, Food Stamps, Supplemental Security
Income, Medicaid (Full-Scope), and the Children’s Health Insurance
Program (Anderson 2010: 198). The law requires a relative to sign a
sworn affidavit committing to support the legal permanent resident
for their first five years of residency if needed. Illegal immigrants are
ineligible for almost all federal welfare programs.

Cato.org, btw, is a libertarian "think-tank" ( I know...something of a misnomer, there!) but I figured it was more likely that Woodie would accept the opinion of some of his fellow travelers.
(June 24, 2014 at 10:14 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm)Heywood Wrote: If people are coming here for jobs...I am okay with that. Let them all in. If they are coming for welfare...not cool.

Heywood, I've found something I can agree with you about. But we do let their kids in public schools right?

Yes....educate their children, I would even go as far as providing them medical care. After they are here long enough(say supporting themselves for 10 years)....give them permanent resident status and then maybe other entitlements(like the universal basic income I advocate).

The point is let them come here to work. Don't let them come in for a free lunch.
(June 24, 2014 at 10:26 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(June 24, 2014 at 10:14 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Heywood, I've found something I can agree with you about. But we do let their kids in public schools right?

Yes....educate their children, I would even go as far as providing them medical care. After they are here long enough(say supporting themselves for 10 years)....give them permanent resident status and then maybe other entitlements(like the universal basic income I advocate).

The point is let them come here to work. Don't let them come in for a free lunch.
Permanent resident status after ten years? Why not citizenship and after 3 or four years not 10?
Drones with cluster bombs?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Border Lek 124 10228 December 26, 2022 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why Political Parties Mean Nothing onlinebiker 10 626 September 29, 2020 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Divinity
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 949 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  James Dobson on the border camps Rev. Rye 1 576 July 25, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Border Patrol secret group Figbash 31 2202 July 3, 2019 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 833 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Border Patrol Racially Profiling. Near Canada. BrianSoddingBoru4 3 697 February 19, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Dozens Of Crazed Trump Supporters Form “Human Wall” Along Southern Border Cepheus Ace 40 2649 February 19, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  When I Call Someone Like Farenthold a Fucktard - I Mean It Minimalist 2 620 December 14, 2017 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Did Charlottesvilel mean anything? CatholicDefender 118 26783 September 9, 2017 at 5:42 am
Last Post: bennyboy