Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion and ethics
Abortion and ethics
This is my first post. Something I am eager to discuss with fellow atheists, but I can't since I basically know none in real life. What are your views on abortion? Do you support it (both ethically and in terms of legality, you can agree with legality and not with the ethics or the other way around)? And if so, why? Is there any particular situation in which you support abortion more firmly (such as rape or other exceptional cases)? I'd like to hear the opinions of atheist on this.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Abortion and ethics
Well you can hear an opinion from an atheist this on this, we're nowhere near monolithic on this (or any) issue.

For me, I don't really care anything about the "personhood" or "when does life start arguments. My opinion falls firmly on the bodily autonomy issue. You cannot force someone to be the life support system for another human (or bundle of cells/zygote/fetus etc) against their will. You can't force someone to give a kidney to a toddler or force a mother to be the incubator for an unborn child or fetus.

So often I hear people say "unborn children deserve the same rights as everyone else". Fine, I agree, and nobody else has the right to forcibly use another human's body against their will, so neither should the unborn.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Why would anyone be against killing babies?!? They're sooooooo fucking tasty!

Welcome to the forums.

An intro thread might be a good idea to let people get to know you a bit.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Thanks, I didn't even remember doing so, I'll do it right away. Have a good night (or day)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I find the Christian's views on life and personhood to be at odds with Scripture (notably Genesis 2:7). Should 'sincerity of belief' ever rise as an issue to national prominence, it would make an for an interesting discussion with the protesters from an Inerrant and Literalist perspective. Why do THEY know better than God ??

Helping them to realize they are falsifying their own religion is a rather fun pastime . . .

Tongue
Psalm 127;3 Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.

People started aborting after this verse came to light.
Children, not fetuses.

For a religion OCD on trifling details, seems like you might have worked that one out on your own.

If you want, review Genesis 2:7 and witness to us why it doesn't mean what it so clearly says.
I'm against abortion, unless it's very early (which most abortions are), or if the mother's life is in danger. Republicans like to shout that abortion is wrong, but from what I've heard the foster care and adoption agencies are underfunded. So it's like they care more about the unborn than the poor that are already alive.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 28, 2014 at 11:10 am)Knowledge of God Wrote: Psalm 127;3 Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.

People started aborting after this verse came to light.

Um, what do you mean after this verse came to light. Are there Bible verses hidden?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
And a very large driver in abortion today is a severe malformation of the fetus. I'd have to have solid brass ones to MAKE a couple continue a pregnancy with a grotesque anomaly looming.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 14650 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7304 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 29754 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Where did sexual ethics originate from? Twisted 24 4049 May 31, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pro abortion or not JohnCrichton72 338 81387 March 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Ethics Dunno 55 11569 October 17, 2013 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Mutuality: A secular ethics project zvi 19 8911 October 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... ideologue08 511 182085 May 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia The Omnissiunt One 18 6474 October 10, 2010 at 8:02 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One
  Poll: Abortion for minors. Violet 87 28461 September 8, 2009 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Samson