Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did sexual ethics originate from?
Where did sexual ethics originate from?
why are Abrahamic religions so obsessed with sex? I was born a Muslim and i was brought up in such a way that i considered sex evil and women wearing vulgar clothes was considered extremely bad,every women who wore a jeans was considered a whore in my society though things have changed a lot now

sex before marriage has always been considered bad in the Indian sub continent among all religions

what kind of sexual ethics should we have as an Atheist?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
RE: Where did sexual ethics originate from?
You mean you're not sure if you like boys or girlie bits?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Atheism doesn't actually have anything to say on that matter - it can't help you decide that.  "Shoulds" are really beyond the purvey of atheism in and of itself - no matter what the subject.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This depends on the individual. Atheism only means that someone doesn't believe in god or gods. It doesn't really carry a code of conduct with it.

Some people are very uncomfortable having sex with someone that they don't share an emotional tie. Other people can have sex with no emotional attachment at all. Both individuals can be good, honest people who care about others. Number of sexual partners says nothing about an individual's ability to show empathy or be honest. It doesn't say how well they will do their job or if they will be good parents or anything else.

As long as the individual doesn't lie to get someone in bed, sleeps only with consensual partners, and doesn't break their word, I don't care how many or how few sexual partners that they have had. For me, it is a non-issue but I don't speak for all atheists.
They came from little hairy men with tiny penises aspiring to dominate through croak or violence.
(May 31, 2015 at 8:16 am)Rhythm Wrote: Atheism doesn't actually have anything to say on that matter - it can't help you decide that.  "Shoulds" are really beyond the purvey of atheism in and of itself - no matter what the subject.

I agree but I think my culture has its effects on my mind and thinking,the western culture feels awkward to me even though i have nothing against it maybe i am not used to living in such an environment
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
Whoa....whoa...no lying?  You're hackin me off at the knees here Nope!

"Hey, ever slept with an astronaut?"
"You're the prettiest girl at the bar"
"I have coke"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 31, 2015 at 8:35 am)Rhythm Wrote: Whoa....whoa...no lying?  You're hackin me off at the knees here Nope!  

"Hey, ever slept with an astronaut?"
"You're the prettiest girl at the bar"
"I have coke"

Tongue Sorry. 

(May 31, 2015 at 8:33 am)Twisted Wrote:
(May 31, 2015 at 8:16 am)Rhythm Wrote: Atheism doesn't actually have anything to say on that matter - it can't help you decide that.  "Shoulds" are really beyond the purvey of atheism in and of itself - no matter what the subject.

I agree but I think my culture has its effects on my mind and thinking,the western culture feels awkward to me even though i have nothing against it maybe i am not used to living in such an environment

I was brought up Southern Baptist and delved into fundamentalism a bit. It is hard to get rid of the mindset of your past. Don't be too hard on yourself. It is a process that can take a long time. 
As far as I'm concerned, if everyone is honest and it's between consenting adults, there is no problem.

Personally I'm not at all into casual sex, and I'm happy in a monogamous relationship. But I certainly wouldn't judge anyone else for being in any way different. Those are just my preferences.

People should be able to wear what they like and act how they like (as long as they aren't hurting anyone). It sounds like you've been raised in what I would consider to be a very repressed, sexist and controlling environment. There's no reason you should have to stick to it, you're free to choose now Smile People trying to cut off your head not withstanding.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The Isrealites at one time bordered the Babylonians, who liked having orgy festivals. they also bordered the greeks, who thought a teenage boy needed to swallow a certain amount of semen to become a man, so they were very pro homosexuality. To set themselves apart from their neighbors, they decided all sex was bad, but if you're going to have sex at least do it within the confines of marriage. any group that completely prohibited sex back then wasn't going to last long, after all.

Ironically nowadays you could get away with people never having sex, while still having children.

Quote:"I have coke"
Why would you lie about having coke? It costs a dollar or less at the store. What kind of cheapskate are you?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3811 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2174 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Arizona State Suspends Lawrence Krauss Over Sexual Misconduct Accusations Alexmahone 30 10533 March 11, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Sexual addiction Dust_bunny 17 2760 June 9, 2016 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Abortion and ethics Dystopia 10 2278 June 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ethics Dunno 55 11716 October 17, 2013 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Mutuality: A secular ethics project zvi 19 9011 October 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  sexual orientation issue Zenith 120 30326 June 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Violet