Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people continue to believe in god?
Why do people continue to believe in god?
With all the available evidence, information, knowledge, why do people still have theistic beliefs, even when all their arguments are successfully countered and debunked? Why do people believe even after realizing there is no inductive or deductive evidence or proof that god exists? Is it merely wishful thinking?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Why do people continue to believe in god?
Lazy, comfortable, brainwashed, gullible, narcissistic, dishonest-- take your pick.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 2, 2014 at 4:02 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Lazy, comfortable, brainwashed, gullible, narcissistic-- take your pick.

Well I think that a lot of people just haven't examined those beliefs as closely as they should, or simply haven't heard the arguments against them. Many religious communities are pretty insular, and combined with the natural impulse to believe what your parents tell you I think that leads to just a lack of critical thinking.

Hell, up until I was about 18 or 19 I would've called myself a Catholic and said I believed in God and Heaven and Hell just beause...that's what I was brought up with. I hadn't attended church in years and was never confirmed (I didn't want their stupid bread anyway!), but I just thought that belief in God was the 'default' or 'normal' position for a normal person. When I finally realized I didn't believe, I also realized I hadn't believed since I was like 8 years old, I just had never been impelled to think about it much.

I think most people are smarter than most people think. Sure there are going to be the few knots in the wood that won't ever budge, but from my experiences it's just a lack of exposure to dissenting ideas at a young enough age that is the biggest reason for the persistence of a God belief.

That being said, the internet is a wonderful example of what happens when you give unrestricted access to the youth!
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Fat, what you described sounds like a combination of lazy, comfortable, and brainwashed. In no way do those imply a person is an unintelligent. For an example of a stupid theist, I'd look at their apologists, the ones trying to justify God through science or philosophy. Also, I should add dishonest to the list because sometimes it's hard for me to believe that apologists really find their arguments persuasive.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Shhh .. don't spoil it for them.
I can't speak for all christians, but because I was one, and most of my family are religious as well, I can say that they live fairly sheltered lives. They associate with their relatives, and church families the most. They are taught to be separate from the world.

Most who get online, aren't coming to atheist forums, or researching the basis of their beliefs. They typically are drawn to more spiritual sites. So, it's not like they have been bombarded with information, and ignoring it.

Now the christians who do lurk here, and other atheist-related sites, might be searching for answers, like I was, or enjoy debating. Even if these are the christians, the OP is talking about, you have to understand that their thought process is tainted by years of brainwashing. Cognitive dissonance explains this very well.

Think of Neo in the beginning of the Matrix. You trust what you see, and what you've been taught to believe, and you cannot see past that. Some, like myself, eventually see through the facade.....but only because I began searching for answers.
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
Too many don't want to rock the boat. You won't make many friends in Islam otherwise.
I don't agree with their position but I can understand it.
You don't see too many first world fundies. They're too busy taking kids to soccer and ballet classes.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Re: RE: Why do people continue to believe in god?
(July 2, 2014 at 5:08 pm)CindysRain Wrote: I can't speak for all christians, but because I was one, and most of my family are religious as well, I can say that they live fairly sheltered lives. They associate with their relatives, and church families the most. They are taught to be separate from the world.

Most who get online, aren't coming to atheist forums, or researching the basis of their beliefs. They typically are drawn to more spiritual sites. So, it's not like they have been bombarded with information, and ignoring it.

Now the christians who do lurk here, and other atheist-related sites, might be searching for answers, like I was, or enjoy debating. Even if these are the christians, the OP is talking about, you have to understand that their thought process is tainted by years of brainwashing. Cognitive dissonance explains this very well.

Think of Neo in the beginning of the Matrix. You trust what you see, and what you've been taught to believe, and you cannot see past that. Some, like myself, eventually see through the facade.....but only because I began searching for answers.

Occasionally I read words that give me some hope for our species, these are some of those.
Most people never really grow up, they use such things as religion as a sercurity blanket that gives them a sense of protection.
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

--attributed to Napoleon I

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5453 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1410 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3828 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7922 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84523 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 19518 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7905 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10224 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are the Abraham religions so interested in controlling people sexually NuclearEnergy 42 11144 June 21, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V