Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Do you ever wonder if the christians are right?
Do you ever wonder if the christians are right?
I became christian in my teens as I went to church with friends and i really did believe but then as I got older life just started to suck more and more and when people told me things like "god always does whats best for us" and "every day of your life was planned by god" then turn around and say "bad things happen because of free will" i just want to strangle them.

but now as an atheist i have learned to accept life for what it is and make the best of it, but i wonder sometimes if they are right. because what if i die and then gods like "u denied me im sending u to hell!!" and i know it would make him a prick but SO MANY American and European people have believed in Christianity for all these years, can they all be wrong??

IMO the best religion is Buddhism cus its not as much a religion as a life style, not all Buddhists believe in reincarnation or even gods or anything, their basic tenants are basically to be nice to others, control your thoughts, dont do evil things, work for the good of others, and respect all life, and when i read about their stuff how our suffering comes from our desires, that makes a lot of sense to me because i notice a lot of the things that make me depressed are because i dont have something i want - but when i just accept it and let it go, I feel like a huge weight is lifted off me and i can finally relax and sleep at night.

Buddhism philosophy has helped me more than anything, and even modern day psychology incorporates a lot of eastern philosophies into their treatment, like DBT for example.

but i still cant help wonder, what if christians are right??
RE: Do you ever wonder if the christians are right?
Not in the last 30 years.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
No.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I been having a lot of these thoughts lately, but looks like everyone else is doing better than me. I didnt know it was possible to lose faith in atheism :S what should i do to make it go away? i know god is a jerk and christianity is false, but i still feel scared when i think about dying.
Absolutely not.
Pascal's Wager?

Nah, its puerile, and silly to worry about such things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8BXyZXDqlI
-All the time. Scares the shit out of me. The thought that some poor fucker died on a cross on my behalf without so much as a yay or nay from me. That this is a feature of the cosmos itself. Really turns the stomach.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm)Jextin Wrote: I been having a lot of these thoughts lately, but looks like everyone else is doing better than me. I didnt know it was possible to lose faith in atheism :S what should i do to make it go away? i know god is a jerk and christianity is false, but i still feel scared when i think about dying.

Perhaps the religious poison still runs in your veins. It takes awhile to rid yourself completely perhaps? I don't know because I've never really been a theist.
(July 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm)Jextin Wrote: but i still cant help wonder, what if christians are right??

I don't even consider it for a second.

Their god can not exist. It violates the law of non contradiction.

Why aren't you asking, what if the Muslims are right? Or the Hindus? Or the Zoroastrians?

There is no such thing as 'faith in atheism'. That phrase makes zero sense.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
No, not since I learned some things in regards to the origins of the bible, and the stories in it. I would certainly hope they aren't right, because the people who wrote the bible did a poor job of showing their god to be good, despite assuring us over and over that he was. Of course he might have been considered good for that time, but the morals in the book are rather dated. For a deity that's supposed to be omni everything thta just doesn't fly for most people.

There's also the claim that they're able to speak to their god, which seems to be demonstrably wrong due to how many different denominations of christianity there are. My sister and I may at times have disagreements on what our parents want us to do, but we're never going to spend our whole lives trying to figure out what exactly they want.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6488 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20754 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  LOL, wonder if that was a mistake? vorlon13 11 1660 November 11, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5346 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7671 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6250 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? FebruaryOfReason 458 52288 February 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50578 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Guys: Would you ever rape and murder a girl? Mark94xCPP 224 50077 December 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5426 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris